Username: Password:

Author Topic: How are we doing?  (Read 81989 times)

Offline James

• Liked: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
How are we doing?
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:13:40 AM »
Hey guys. I was just curious about your opinion of the staff (mods/admins) or how we handle day to day issues. This is not a complaint topic or an "I got banned!" thread, Id just like to know how the staff is perceived by the community. So please show maturity. Constructive criticism is welcome, flaming is not.

Let us know things like:

Do we lock too many/ too few topics?

Do we handle the banning/locking/warning processes sincerely?

Do we treat members equally?

Are we quick enough to respond to reports?

Are there any sections that we could pay closer attention to?

What areas do you think we could improve in?

Do we have a large enough staff?

etc.

I'd like to remind you that we are taking the time to hear all of you out. If youre not going to take this seriously and decide to start arguments, trolling or flaming, this thread will be closed. I dont know of any gaming communities who's staff will take the time to listen to the users, please dont let this go to waste.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:25:35 AM by James »
[align=center][/align]

Offline James

• View Profile
    • Awards
RE: How are we doing?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 02:58:54 PM »
Im gonna go ahead and stick this for the time being.
[align=center][/align]

Offline Vlad

• Liked: 278
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 04:11:31 PM »
You are  very good mods,I'll give you that.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:22:28 PM by Vlad »

Offline CarntFace

• Rockstar
  • Liked: 216
  • "Let's Do It!"
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 05:41:33 PM »
Yes, they are very good and fair mods. Doing a bang up job guys, keep it up.

Offline Claydon

• Liked: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 06:32:21 PM »
James is an asshole. He closed my thread :(

All fun aside, this is a GREAT thread. I'm very interested as well.

Offline James

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 06:34:45 PM »
Quote from: 'Claydon' pid='192619' dateline='1286577141'

James is an asshole. He closed my thread :(

All fun aside, this is a GREAT thread. I'm very interested as well.

Lol, dick.

Hopefully we get some feedback.
[align=center][/align]

Offline HIT_THE_TRAIL

• idk should say something here tho
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 10:03:37 PM »
you guys seem to do a fine job imo. never had any problem with moderators around here. im searching this section for any "announcment" about the promotion of so many mods to admin and the making of a whole new group of mods...because im curious about it. the reasons for it.

also i kinda wonder are the new admins really admins or are they mods and are the new mods really mods? i dont really get out and about in all the public sections like i used to. said all i got to say on the game of RDR a few hundred times...into making sig art now...so i hang mostly in the creativity and design section.

did the old admins get a promotion as well and if so what is their title now? i mean ive seen a few Global Moderators. im confused by the power structure now to be honest. so if anyone feels like filling me in id really appreciate it.
just a typed sig...you dig...just words and stuff should be enough...dont need cool graphics at all. i think ill write a wall....of text. what should i say next? idk and idc not really trying to take this rhyme anywhere. i would post in the rap thread but if i do...nah no one cares only me. im the o

Offline Claydon

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 11:42:03 PM »
The Global Moderators, such as James, myself, and DBD were promoted to Admins. We are Admins now, the real thing.

We promoted a few area mods and Jasmine to Global Moderator status to cover those of us who were promoted.

The Admins are still Admins, except Andy moved himself to an exclusive status as Creator.

Offline godzilliac

• Voodoo Baron
  • Liked: 100
    • View Profile
    • Renderosity.com
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 05:43:04 PM »
What's in essence the difference between an admin an a mod? Just curious.

Offline James

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 11:02:19 PM »
The main difference would be how we clean house. Mods have basic access to the forum and fairly limmited abilites when it comes to taking care of situations (moving threads, closing, banning, etc.). Section mods have even less control. Admins are pretty much unlimmited with most site management actions. We are able to create new forums, sections, take care of posse applications, IP bans, post news or announcements, etc. Of course, Andy, the Site Admin or Creator, has the most power but he's not here to handle the day to day. His job is keeping the place up and running. Consider him as the angry little Canadian hamster on the wheel, lol.

I guess the best way to explain the power structure would be like this (1 being the highest):

1. Admin
2. Global Mod
3. Section Mod
4. Posse Mod

Posse mods can only control things within their posse forum. They are not members of the forum staff. If you ever need any help, I would strongly advise contacting either a Global Mod or Admin as these two groups have more access and control of the site.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:13:40 PM by James »
[align=center][/align]

Offline CarntFace

• Rockstar
  • Liked: 216
  • "Let's Do It!"
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 11:29:20 PM »
So basically being a posse/area mod is meaningless. (lol)
Let me ask a question, are looking for a new admin?  :earmuffs: (i'm half kidding)

Offline godzilliac

• Voodoo Baron
  • Liked: 100
    • View Profile
    • Renderosity.com
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 11:41:41 PM »
Quote from: 'James' pid='197454' dateline='1287025339'

The main difference would be how we clean house. Mods have basic access to the forum and fairly limmited abilites when it comes to taking care of situations (moving threads, closing, banning, etc.). Section mods have even less control. Admins are pretty much unlimmited with most site management actions. We are able to create new forums, sections, take care of posse applications, IP bans, post news or announcements, etc. Of course, Andy, the Site Admin or Creator, has the most power but he's not here to handle the day to day. His job is keeping the place up and running. Consider him as the angry little Canadian hamster on the wheel, lol.

I guess the best way to explain the power structure would be like this (1 being the highest):

1. Admin
2. Global Mod
3. Section Mod
4. Posse Mod

Posse mods can only control things within their posse forum. They are not members of the forum staff. If you ever need any help, I would strongly advise contacting either a Global Mod or Admin as these two groups have more access and control of the site.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it was most helpful thanks. First time I ever asked a thing like that. Most mods in other forums I visited were pretty much anonymous.

Offline James

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 11:44:23 PM »
Quote from: 'BillySundance' pid='197465' dateline='1287026960'

So basically being a posse/area mod is meaningless. (lol)
Let me ask a question, are looking for a new admin?  :earmuffs: (i'm half kidding)

Anything but meaningless. Posse mods keep their part of the site clean so that we dont have to deal with it and can take care of site issues. Area mods patrol the more active sections and keep everyones report boxes from being full. Both help to insure that the site remains active, which is the most important part of all of our jobs.

As for staff openings, not at the moment. Currently we seem to have a good staff/active members ratio and there are hardly ever any problems popping up. That power structure that I posted is pretty much how we rank. You would usually start as a section mod, but not always, and move up to Global then become an Admin. It basically comes down to three things; competence, maturity and contributions.

Lol, basically, ass kissing and power-tripping doesnt fit the profile. Its also preferred that nobody asks to become part of the staff. Ive done it before and felt Andy's wrath, nothing to be ashamed of, just be aware of it. We prefer members whom we recieve reccomendations for by other members. Or if we see that they would be a good part of the staff, we will discuss it, leading to an eventual decision.

You really never know who will be added to the staff, unless you are the staff.

@Godzilliac: Yeah, I know. We try pretty hard to avoid the exclusivity that a lot of other sites have with their staff. It seems best to blur the line between the staff and members as this reduces power-trips and makes everyone a bit more helpful.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:46:36 PM by James »
[align=center][/align]

Offline DethPimp

• Liked: 1393
  • Awards Best Writer 2014 Best moderator Best writer Awarded to the user voted Best Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 03:13:30 AM »
just so there's something to think about, I will offer one bit of critical feedback.

Moderators should not be provocateurs. yes, they are people, too, but they have taken on specific powers and responsibilties. when people are banned, they can't reply. Given that, I think moderators should refrain from appending nasty comments to closed threads and certainly from adding sarcastic content to people's profiles which then become visible to all in old posts. (none of this means they should censor themselves in any way when engaging in the normal flow of conversation where people are free to reply)

aside from being plain unfair, it is quite likely to cause the banned person to enter full ragetard mode and create alternate accounts for serial trolling, etc.

both these have happened, although I think less lately.

all round, though, this seems to be a particularly civil and intelligent games forum, and that MUST have something to do with the way it is moderated.

btw, I was basically meaningless before becoming a possee mod, so its all good :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 04:11:49 AM by OldBill »

Offline Tyler

• Liked: 211
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 11:04:37 AM »
I say you're doing a mighty fine job on the forums. This place is a bit more liberal than I am used to, but that's just me. You also have a fine amount of Mods, at least one on at all times usually. Keeps things from ever getting out of hand, and frankly, keeps people acting proper.

My only problem wish staff is that you allow women, this is 1908 dammit! Women!?!?! They can't even vote, so why would we elect them as officials to law? I mean, I can see them as secretary's to majors and such, but actual working law officials? Crazy talk.
Things, and stuff

Offline aFinn

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 8615
  • Awards Best moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 12:25:32 PM »
Quote from: 'James' pid='192025' dateline='1286536420'

Firstly, overall I feel the moderation of this site is getting better. With the new additions lately to cover the inactive ones has given a better presence.

One thing I would ask of everyone who close threads: please give a reason, and if it's a duplicate, give a link to the original thread. This would rid of a lot of confusion.
And if you guys and gals do all closings in a friendly manner you will defuse many situations with people who get hurt just from their thread being closed (it's amazing sometimes how fragile people's egos are), and like OldBill said, might perhaps avoid someone making a new account in cases of ban.

Thanks for reading and giving members the possibility to give some feedback.

Offline MrYoungGun

• El Jefe
  • Liked: 238
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 09:24:12 PM »
Love the site, love the game. I visit almost every day since I've joined and I can only recall one instance where I thought a mod unjustly locked a topic that was being discussed(can't remember which one sorry) in a reasonable manner. That's a great track record compared to most sites. Well done staff!

Offline Claydon

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 09:31:52 PM »
Okay, thanks for the feedback guys. If you ever think one of our actions is unfair, do NOT hesitate to PM me and I'll double check or explain why in further detail.

There are about 2-3 of us on usually, and with 10,000 members we do make mistakes or overlook things.

I agree, with the new staff things have been a lot smoother and easier all around.

Offline DocRikowski

• WILDOC
  • D WILD BUNCH
  • Liked: 276
  • Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
  • Awards Awarded to the best posse leader Awarded to the user voted Most respected Awarded to the user voted as the Best graphic artist Awarded to the user voted as the Best posse leader
    • View Profile
    • D12/DWB FB Page
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 08:14:32 AM »
Quote from: 'aFinn' pid='197836' dateline='1287073532'

Quote from: 'James' pid='192025' dateline='1286536420'

Firstly, overall I feel the moderation of this site is getting better. With the new additions lately to cover the inactive ones has given a better presence.

One thing I would ask of everyone who close threads: please give a reason, and if it's a duplicate, give a link to the original thread. This would rid of a lot of confusion.
And if you guys and gals do all closings in a friendly manner you will defuse many situations with people who get hurt just from their thread being closed (it's amazing sometimes how fragile people's egos are), and like OldBill said, might perhaps avoid someone making a new account in cases of ban.

Thanks for reading and giving members the possibility to give some feedback.

I agree.
Topics get closed or moved with no explanation whatsoever...
But overall you're doing a good job.

Offline Undead_Hunter

• Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 08:46:39 PM »
You are doing awesome for even making this thread.