Username: Password:

Author Topic: Graphics Tutorials  (Read 19648 times)

Offline PredawnDwarf

• AftertwilightMidget
  • Liked: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
RE: Tutorialized
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 02:44:30 AM »
I really should make a new one, eh? :D

I spent 3 years of my life at vocational school learning to use Office, Photoshop, Flash, Fireworks, etc. softwares (and a lot of hardware and server stuff). My "knowledge" comes from there :D

Offline HIT_THE_TRAIL

• idk should say something here tho
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 02:48:57 AM »
cool altho i will always see you as the little avatar with the goatee you had for the longest time in your gamer stats sig thing.:cowboy:
just a typed sig...you dig...just words and stuff should be enough...dont need cool graphics at all. i think ill write a wall....of text. what should i say next? idk and idc not really trying to take this rhyme anywhere. i would post in the rap thread but if i do...nah no one cares only me. im the o

Offline HIT_THE_TRAIL

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »
um if anyone is real interested i could tell how to make and put a GIFSOUP gif onto a cool background...also i think i figured out a way to edit things from at least two GIFSOUP gifs into one cooler one...

anyone interested? Photoshop and Imageready are needed to do what i did, the way i did it. might be another free way to skin the cat so to speak tho.

i plan on seeing what GIMP can do in this regard as well. i know some form of animation is definitly possible using GIMP for sure. there is no doubt at all that a super artistic static sig can be done using GIMP as well. plus its freeware you could download almost immediatly. i got it but i just havent tried it out to much...from what i see if i can use Photoshop CS2 i can use GIMP...they look almost exactly alike.
just a typed sig...you dig...just words and stuff should be enough...dont need cool graphics at all. i think ill write a wall....of text. what should i say next? idk and idc not really trying to take this rhyme anywhere. i would post in the rap thread but if i do...nah no one cares only me. im the o

Offline DiamondBackDylan

• MOD
  • D WILD BUNCH
  • Liked: 25
  • Bring on V! I am SO ready!!!
  • Awards Awarded to the user voted as the Most missed member
    • View Profile
    • ChristopherConcepts.com
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 11:55:49 AM »
Making things "GOLD" in Photoshop:

Image to be changed:

End Result:

Making things into 'Gold' is actually pretty damn easy.

First, use the lasso tool (I like Polygonal) to highlight the portion to be made gold:

TIP: The above was already pretty much grayscale ; if the image you are changing has color, then click Image > Adjustments > Desaturate:

After that, make sure your image is a middle gray and not black or dark gray...I adjusted the Brightness/Contrast on the image above to give the Gold I add later a shinier look:

Once you have the Gray image the way you want, click Image > Adjustments > Color Balance:

...to bring up THIS panel:

Then add Yellow and Red to get the gold color.  You will just have to play with the settings depending on the image to get the "GOLD" you are looking for...remember, there are three different settings within the Color Balance Panel; Shadows, Midtones and Highlights...play with all of them:

Adjust the Brightness/Contrast again to get Final Product:

THATS IT!  Pretty easy. :D

Offline PredawnDwarf

• AftertwilightMidget
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 03:23:34 PM »
Nice tutorial Dylan. I would have used a color adjustment layer instead of changing the color balance, but your way works too. It's probably even better than my way.

Offline DiamondBackDylan

• MOD
  • D WILD BUNCH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 04:12:27 PM »
Thats an ongoing Graphic Designer debate, huh...lol  Most say that the color adjustment layer is more subtle, but I have yet to see something done with it that I couldn't do in the color balance panel...same with Brightness/Contrast vs. Curves...

Offline TheNex

• I punched a lion in the throat
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 11:58:32 AM »
Great tutorial man. I may try this out myself ^^

Offline PredawnDwarf

• AftertwilightMidget
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 01:51:58 PM »
Quote from: 'DiamondBackDylan' pid='190615' dateline='1286395947'

Thats an ongoing Graphic Designer debate, huh...lol  Most say that the color adjustment layer is more subtle, but I have yet to see something done with it that I couldn't do in the color balance panel...same with Brightness/Contrast vs. Curves...

It's true that the layer is more subtle. I use color balance when I have a picture that has strong colors. Adjustment layer doesn't do well with those kind of images. But with images that only need a slight change and don't have much color (light shades), the adjustment layer is my tool.

Offline HIT_THE_TRAIL

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 02:26:11 AM »
yes im glad to see another way to skin the cat so to speak...i messed with adjustment layers on my movie sig...i got sickrages gun on my computer and im going to do this tutorial right now. the color you gotta start with might never thought of trying that desaturation thing. lol

i figured you might know a quick easy way DBD...as quick and easy as this appears...im shocked. lol

thanks a bunch for the tutorial.

also kinda thought getting the gun selected(split in handle) would be hard as well. its so cool i can see how you did it. because of the transparency you dont have to be detalailed at all on most of the gun just have it in the loop!

Offline Amazonagent

• View Profile
    • http://crazybullfighter.blogspot.com/
    • Awards
Font Tutorial
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 04:11:13 AM »
Hey everyone,
I thought about adding some helpful tips to this thread in regards to using fonts in avatars and signatures. Many times on different forums (not just here) I see people who have sigs/avvys that have great images that lose their strength with a misuse of fonts. It could be due to not having the right tools (having MS Paint rather than a more powerful photo editing program like Photoshop) or just lack of experience. It's nothing that can't be remedied with a few simple tricks. We all start as beginners but with practice and help from our fellow siggy making friends anyone can get proficient at making better sigs/avatars. I'm going to use some of my previous avatars and signatures to give some examples of how you can use fonts in your work. Just a note I work in photoshop 7 but a lot of this stuff can be used in a free program called GIMP .

First thing you should know is that when using a font with your image most times less is more. Basically you should try and start off using a more simpler font with your image. A lot of the time since you are working with a smaller area more decorative or elaborate fonts don't translate well than a more simpler font does.

Arial (used regular and bold, uppercase)

Times New Roman (lower case)

Cooper (lowercase w/dropshdow)

Palatino Linotype (uppercase)

As you can see a basic font can go a long way especially when you have a good, strong image. The font shouldn't overpower it, only enhance it.

Now while using simple fonts always work great, it's nice to change it up once in a while and use a font thats a little more decorative. Try to using a more decorative font that is crisp, legible, and that goes well with the theme of your avatar/sig. It's also a good idea to try and use drop shadows or adjusting the blending mode on the fonts to give it a little something extra. (oh and a lot of these fonts can be found on dafont.com)

Plain Germanica (lowercase)

this font accentuates the image of the tough cop that Cybil is trying to survive in Silent Hill.

Mechanical Fun (italicized)

The slightly frantic, distored look of the font accentuate the severity of Muder and Scully's escape.

SF Movie Poster (top font) & Crack Babies (bottom font, uppercase, color=taupe (#B49E94), set to 'color dodge')

using opposite types of fonts add to the disjointed feel of the image of Pyramid Head holding a spear. Also using the word 'Enthusiasims' with a distorted font type contradicts the meaning of the word and adds to the disturbing feel of the signature.

Now once you get the hang of how to use your fonts to effect you can really have some fun with fonts by combing different techniques.

A nice way to keep a font from just blending into the background of a picture and making it "pop" is by using a nice brush or solid shape behind the font.

Fontdinerdotcom Sparkly

I used a fun 50's style font to accentuate the humor of Scully going undercover as a suburban housewife. I put a pair of long rectangle shapes and skewed them at an angle to add to the 50's look and to make the font stand out a little.

Arial black (drop shadow)

I wanted a monochromatic look to this one but I didn't want the font to just blend into everything so I added a little drop shadow to the font and I threw a little artistic square brush in a slightly darker blue behind it.

Hannibal Lecter

I used a nice scripty font to go with the whole dark, gothy look and tone of the Stone Temple Pilots song 'Sour Girl' BUT I feel like something's missing and the lyrics on the bottom kinda get lost in part of the image behind it...

So I added some blood drip brushes in red behind the font. Now the font is more legible and the blood splatters add to the feel of the sig.

So those are just some of the things you can do with your fonts. I have a lot of brush work and adjustment to my images in some of the avvys/sigs but the font adjustments for the most part are simple to pull off even if you aren't an advanced photo manipulation user. If there are any questions about what I've shown just ask in this thread and I'll do my best to reply. Happy sig/avvy making!!! :D

Offline Immature Toast

• Back in Black
  • Liked: 5
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 04:27:04 AM »
Nice tutorial! I'm gonna try that now :P

Offline DiamondBackDylan

• MOD
  • D WILD BUNCH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 03:18:54 PM »
Yea, Amazon...Excellent advice! :2thumbsup:

And to anyone else reading it...it is not a slight on anyone...I have been doing graphics for many years and I still find myself struggling with Font choice and text placement, so no worries! :D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 03:20:27 PM by DiamondBackDylan »

Offline Immature Toast

• Back in Black
  • Liked: 5
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 03:27:34 PM »
Really useful tutorials in this thread! =D

Offline HIT_THE_TRAIL

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 03:08:23 AM »
i agree with DBD and im glad Amazon wrote this tutorial. the hardest thing about making a sig for someone else is making the text look nice. if its animated or for myself i wont bother with it to much.

i just made a sig for brothers of chaos...the darn font took as long as all the rest and im still not sure i went the right way (i did several different text choices)  others around here seemed to really like what i made, im biased against chinese rocks text myself, never cared for it so i cant see what i made as really really really good. lol

basically half of a sig is the text. why i always felt contest entries must have a "signature" in them. not putting any text on a sig makes it way to easy. lol

i read the DWB pimp your sig thread(DBD's posse...the green team) he gave his posse mate some suggestions for font on a sig i thought looked really darn cool already. im kinda suprised all the tiny details his pro eye sees.  i think he can tell if you rastersize a layer or not and thats crazy to me. lol

he gave some good super pro advice i will go back and read again. i suggest to all aspiring sig makers to find that thread and look at all the cool sigs in it. they go all out on the sigs for the members and if i dont go there and look i might never see some of the guys and their super awesome sigs.

its also why i felt i didnt quite do chaos and his new posse justice. lol

Offline DiamondBackDylan

• MOD
  • D WILD BUNCH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 11:46:08 AM »
Thanks for the compliments, TRAIL.  There are actually a cpl graphic-savvy guys in DWB and I have learned a TON from Doc (DWB Leader), who is also a pro Graphic Artist.

And the brothers of chaos SIG you did is, imho, some of your best work so far (so is your current SIG, btw...Awesome!) here at RDnet!

Very subtle and the FONT placement and Style is what really makes the SIG for me.  The fact that it ever-so-slightly blends into the background, but you can still read it, is very cool!

Offline Amazonagent

• View Profile
    • http://crazybullfighter.blogspot.com/
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »
Quote from: 'DiamondBackDylan' pid='209173' dateline='1288107968'

And the brothers of chaos SIG you did is, imho, some of your best work so far (so is your current SIG, btw...Awesome!) here at RDnet!

Very subtle and the FONT placement and Style is what really makes the SIG for me.  The fact that it ever-so-slightly blends into the background, but you can still read it, is very cool!

Exactly! Well said...I feel the same way.

Offline DiamondBackDylan

• MOD
  • D WILD BUNCH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 01:59:33 PM »
Well damn...couldn't get the 'Merge Threads' to work correctly, so had to make the changes creatively...lol

@TheNex:  You still have access to the first post, so if you would like to help me keep the links up to date, you are welcome too.  If not, no worries; I'll take care of them.  Your first Tutorial is now in the 3rd post.

I am in the process of adding the links now...

----------------------

EDIT:  Ok...links are added.  This is SUCH a cool thread, I wanted to organize and dress it up without having to start over.  I think it is easier to navigate now. :)

Again, no need to worry about the first post, Nex, unless you want to... ;)

Hope no one was around to see what a mess I made of this thread for a few minutes...lol  Is all good now tho.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:35:44 PM by DiamondBackDylan »

Offline DiamondBackDylan

• MOD
  • D WILD BUNCH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
RE: Graphics Tutorials & Creative Tech Talk
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 04:05:35 PM »
Ok...I guess its time to share a freeware that can create some impressive results...its one of my big secrets... (not really...lol)

Sqirlz Reflect

It is a program that is for water reflection effects and some weather effects.  it can also be used to create other effects as well.

Example: (I also wanted to show this here...this one turned out real nice...lol)

I have added the link to download the program to the OP links. :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:06:05 PM by DiamondBackDylan »

Offline Richard_Turpin

• Truly D1RTY and WILD
  • D WILD BUNCH
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 04:12:33 PM »
Sweeeet... I've always wondered how to do that kind of stuff, made several dreadful attempts at it so i'm glad you posted this :D
[align=center]
[url=http://www.reddead.net/forums/

Offline HIT_THE_TRAIL

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 07:16:08 PM »
yeah i was surprised no one was curious how i animated water. lol

sqirlz reflect is very easy to use. getting it just how you want it to look does take some time tho.

also make what ever your goint to reflect perfect first before using sqirlz id say not the other way around and then work on it photoshop. idk i only did it once so cant really give pro advice about it. i just was so go hung on doing water. got it perfect and went to do touch ups on a gif and lost some image quality.

also im gonna do a tutorial on the Brothers Of Chaos sigs text because really its nothing even a very first time sig maker couldnt do to make their text look cooler....i did it on my photobucket sigs alot. the only thing i did i couldnt then was bunch the letters up...mess with spacing and distribution of letters. i wrote it but i need to simplify it. also re read amazons advice and make sure im not restating what she did somewhere. also try to show and not tell so much. ill post it tomorrow.