Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Definitive Guide to Stagecoach Boating in Red Dead Redemption  (Read 60773 times)

Offline Subovon

• My hat hurts
  • Liked: 43
  • I'm on a boat.
    • View Profile
    • The Definitive Guide To Stagecoach Boating in Red Dead Redemption
    • Awards
The Definitive Guide to Stagecoach Boating in Red Dead Redemption
By Captain Subovon

With contributions from the following fellers:

VMB-TAN whose Youtube channel is now one of the best Stagecoach Boating resources on the net.
BlackMetalDevil, the most tenacious boater of them all, the man who haunts Gaptooth Breach.
Gringo_Hunter, founder of The United Boaters.

Thanks to their enthusiasm, on April 27th and 28th, 2012, members of this community set a world record. 16 people from around the whole damn planet got in the same Free Roam and took 16 stagecoaches floating down the river. We got 16 people on 16 stagecoaches sailing at the same time. See it in Technicolor.

Many thanks to all of you who post in this forum. I've learned great tricks from you farkin' weirdos and I hope this post inspires a few folks to take their grandmothers out on the water.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I made this video for 'ya.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EupyO3Shtso" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EupyO3Shtso</a>

_________________________________________________________________________________

METHOD

In order to go boating in Multiplayer, you need to get your hands on the stagecoach at the top of the mine in Gaptooth Breach. You can also go boating in a coach with a  white top but they're hard to find and you can't get as many posse mates on top of them.

Once you have the stagecoach, everyone but the driver must hop on top of the stagecoach. Anyone who stays seated inside will drown which is why it's such a great place to put the noobs.

After extensive testing, I have to advise against anyone sitting in the shotgun seat. Those boys have a high mortality rate. Get everybody on top except the driver.

Then it's just a matter of staying on as the driver heads into the water. The driver should not move! Once the stagecoach gets into the water, they will see their characters glitch: it will make like it's getting off and "pop" back all wet and standing on the front seat. If you don't touch the controller, if you don't try to keep your character on the boat, the glitch will take care of you. Any movement on top of your new boat may end with drowning.

Everybody who stays on top of the stagecoach is going sailing.

The hard part is finding good launching places. There are hundreds of spots where you can get the stagecoach into the water but in most, it'll get stuck and go nowhere which ruins the seat covers for nothing. Thus, this post. I have found 4 which are reliable but remember: none of these launches work every single time so patience is key. This is a glitch, after all.

LOCATIONS

From Dixon's Crossing to Manteca falls.
Click here to see it on the map.
Click here to see it in the video.

My favorite cruise is past the marina of Thieves' Landing and into the canyon. and up to Old Bacchus's place where everybody gets stuck. It's a good 10 minute ride and it's a lot of fun to get into a firefight with the local hoodlums. You will hit one or two of the boats in the marina. You can jump into them and have hours of fun. You'll also be the colored dot with the best damn location in the entire game and people will want to be with you.
Now you can't make it over the waterfall from Thieves' Landing since you get stuck at Old Bacchus' place but you can do it if you launch after Butter bridge. You'll need to use the "aim to boat" method explained bellow. I'm using the word "launch" literally because you're gonna have to ride your stagecoach off the cliff. Choose a spot between the bridge and the falls, whip your horses into kamikaze mode and aim your gun all the way down. It's not quite the same as getting there after a cruise but it's a fun stunt to pull off. Just remember to tie down your beer cooler good and tight.

From Great Plains, near Beecher's Hope to Blackwater

This one is great fun because of the rapids and then it's a long, pretty journey to Blackwater at good speed.
Launching is easy: it's an gentle slope to drive down, giving posse mates a safe ride into the water. You get going pretty fast down some rapids and then it takes you all the way to Blackwater. Just beyond the city, you'll hit an invisible wall and come to a stop. There is a chance you'll get stuck in the first rapids. A good 10-15 minute ride.
To guarantee a good long ride all the way to Blackwater, check out this picture and align your wheels with the lines I drew (like a 4 year-old).

The rapids at Tanner's Span

This is a short but sweet ride down the rapids. I always get stuck in Still Water. I wonder why…. Anyway, this requires driving down a steep slope with some control over speed to not tip the stagecoach but it is possible to keep the posse mates on the back. I suggest slowly ordering the horses forward and then hitting the breaks. They keep sliding down the slope and the posse mates can stay on. Just before hitting the water, whip the horses to get some speed. Enjoy the turbulent waters for a few minutes.

Aurora Basin and Tanner's Span
Click Here to see it on the map.

There is no current in Aurora Basin but you can go down the river. You can launch from anywhere along the river. If you survive the entry, you'll go somewhere. These are more difficult locations to launch from. People will drown. Here is video of VMB-TAN getting chased by hungry predators into the river and Gringo_Hunter backs into the rapids and makes it over the waterfall.

From the bridge of Ramita De La Baya in Perdito to the gang hideout of Nosalida
I put this one last because it's very slow and boring and is the same route as "The River" co-op mission. That one's a lot more fun. You will not be floating half as fast, so be prepared for a long trip if you make it all the way. I hadn't packed a sandwich and I fuckin' regretted it. There is a good chance the stagecoach will get caught at the first rapids which are not too far down the river. This location's only real virtues are that it's easy to get a posse on the river from the island and it's close to Gaptooth Breach. For those who enjoy watching paint dry, it's great so tell the noobs about it and keep the others between you and me. Thanks.

Here are some observations and tips I have after drinking lots of water:

It should be obvious that all of this is much easier to do in single player since you can grab a taxi-coach, have it take you to your destination in no time and then steal it.

Aim to boat: you can successfully launch by aiming your gun while you barrel down a rough slopes or even flying off a cliff. This keeps your character “locked” into his seat until the stagecoach hits the water, instead of falling off. When the stagecoach hits the water, you get the character glitch and you’re on a boat.

Grab 2 or 3 stagecoaches if you've got a posse. There's an awfully quick and convenient way of doing this without having the grind Gaptooth: the infinite stagecoach glitch. Here is a video of how to do it.

A slope without too many bumps is only necessary if you have people on top. Alone, you can go down some serious, bumpy terrain and survive water entry. However, scientific studies show that: steep slope + rocks + Stagecoach + speed = 68% increase in death.

Kill all but one of the horses before going into the water or you might get stuck on them. Hell, one time the law found me while I was floating semi-peacefully and one of them fell off after running into six of my bullets. His horse kept going and died in the water right in front of me. Damn thing caught the stagecoach and I became a sitting duck of death.

Anyone sitting shotgun will automatically jump off and miss the boat which is why it's such a great place to put the noobs.

In most cases, the get-going can be painfully slow but you'll eventually come unglued and start floating down river.

When you get stuck (notice I'm not saying if ), there are only three things you can try to do: jump up and down, walk around the top of the stagecoach and fire your weapon. The most effective, by far, is jumping but neither method is likely to work. Most of the time, when you get stuck, that's it.

In multiplayer, be prepared to get shot at. In Hardcore Free Roam, you'll have better chances of making it since you'll be invisible on the map. Private Free Roam may well be where you want to go.

Further Explorations

VMB-TAN says "Take your horse along for the ride," if you're a real man! It is safe to say that he is one of the grand masters of stagecoach boating. He has also mastered the art of chilling on rooftops with his horse. Here's another hobby you might like. It's strangely related to stagecoach boating.

BlackMetalDevil, another fine Australian gentleman I've had the privilege of sailing with, shared these tips with us:

Putting the stagecoach in auto-pilot. Set a path on the map to your destination, aim (L2), hit the X to accelerate to full speed and then hit START. You're now in the red map and options menu and the coach will keep going, at speed and on track. You've got to drive out of the hills of Gaptooth or the horses may loop back. Also, any turn over 90 degrees is likely to send the horses flying off course. You have to keep an eye on it when it turns onto Armadillo’s main street, for example, but it’s awful convenient if you need to make yerself a sandwich.

Transport INTO the mine at Gaptooth breach. To save a few minutes, transport into the mine and skip the first firefight at the entrance. Set a marker on your map, here. You'll spawn by the gold but you'll need to run up and hit the checkmark at the entrance of the mine to activate the hide-out.

In this post, BlackMetalDevil discusses the method by which the Gatling gun-coach can be brought into multiplayer. You can raft on that one if you can keep your hands on it (you're gonna be popular if you go blazin' through town with that thing.)

And finally, if you're interested in how The United Boaters, your friends from RedDead.net got those 16 sailors on 16 stagecoaches in the same Free Roam session, here's the whole damn story, thanks to Gringo's post.

---

Self portrait by BlackMetalDevil

Please contribute your favorite spot! I know (hope) that there are awesome spots to launch from that I don't know about. Please hit reply and give us the exact location. If you can't link a picture (I used my phone to take those included in this post), be as precise as possible. I'll test all the suggestions and update the main post to add as much information on this topic  as possible. I'm busy so updates may be sporadic but I will make them and give full credit.

---

Cinematography by VMB-TAN

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:52:16 PM by Subovon »

Offline DethPimp

• Liked: 1391
  • Awards Best Writer 2014 Best moderator Best writer Awarded to the user voted Best Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
RE: The Definitive Guide to Stagecoach Boating in Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:51:38 AM »
The axe in your head clearly functions as an antenna picking up waves of inspired madness!

Offline waajon

• Cloudwalker
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:19:18 AM »
Thanks for posting this me and my friends have been trying to do some sailing in thieves landing, we didnt know about the other locations :D.

Awesome guide *thumbs up*
Death by Mau Mau !

Offline AL3X-j-M

• "You are the official quote man."-Doc
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 12:09:43 PM »
Quote from: 'Subovon' pid='274561' dateline='1295248988'

I hadn't packed a sandwich and I fuckin' regretted it.

This is my favorite sentence.

Offline Legion

• Gator
  • TWO
  • Liked: 3074
  • Awards Funniest member Biggest spammer Awarded to the user voted as the Most likely to flee to Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »
HOLY BISCUITS!

I love you!

I must sail to the new world and destroy what is left of those savage indians!

Offline A Blunted Bullet

• Mad Men
  • Mad Men
  • Liked: 241
  • Mad Men Presidente de Vice
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »
Excellent thread, have 2 cookies!

Offline Legion

• Gator
  • TWO
  • Liked: 3074
  • Awards Funniest member Biggest spammer Awarded to the user voted as the Most likely to flee to Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 01:29:46 PM »
Quote from: 'WitheredSeven' pid='274808' dateline='1295286417'

Excellent thread, have 2 cookies!

Vajean will not be pleased!

Offline Uglymugger

• The Ugly
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 12:46:15 PM »
Fantastic post!  Thanks.  I'm going boating tonight.  arrrrrrrrr matey.  :pirate:

\"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.\" -King
- - - Official Dark Tower Site - - -

Offline Slimm City

• Mad Men
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Posse:Mad_Men
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 01:15:57 PM »
I've known about this for a while but quit trying after several failed attemps, but then again I really didn't try hard enough and soon lost the motivation to carry it out further. But with this guide I hope to be sailing the San Luis River in the coming times, nice post man :2thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:01:29 AM by Slimm City »
[align=center]
Mad Men Headquarters
[/b][/i][/size]

[img=310x65]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s249/Slimmmmcity/Mad%20Men/RDnetAwardThreadBanner-Posse1

Offline Gofer

• Techn9tion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 06:43:44 AM »
This is definitely one of my favorite pastimes as well with this game. Its funny how you mentioned how doing this on public free roam is not safe and not recomended because thats the only place I would try it. I would usually get a posse of good friends and all go to gaptooth over and over until we had about 5 stagecoaches. We would then ride all the way from gaptooth to thieves landing with 2 posse mates on each sides of the stagecoaches riding on horse in a sort of military formation....like we were protecting some important cargo or somthing. Obviously this would cause a lot of attention and attackers so before we embarked on our mission we would pit stop at camps and make sure we were all filled up on dead eye, and would all do the new gang hidouts so we all had explosive rifles, then made our way. Man that was fun...

Anyway back to the point, all the places you pointed out in the OP I have tried and are all great spots. One place you should try checking out that works is up in tall trees north of tanners span ( I will upload a pic tommorow).
It was a pain in the ass to work though. It got stuck at one point and we had 1 person stay on top of the coach as 5 of us would get our mounts and commit suicide over and over again by jumping against the stagecoach slowly pushing it further and further for about 10 minutes until suddenly out of nowhere the coach took off and within seconds my friend along with the make shift raft was going down the waterfall. Great times. I would love to get your psn if your on the ps3 and maybe we can all try river rafting together?

Here are some pics of past river rafting escapades...

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:50:38 AM by Gofer »

Offline Slimm City

• Mad Men
    • View Profile
    • http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Posse:Mad_Men
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 11:36:29 AM »
If we can turn a stage coach into a Raft, then why can't rockstar just give us a boat or something of the sort. All they would have to do is create the object and set it next to a shallow body of water that leads into the main river... We can figure out a way to push it in our selves, or there could be a release switch somewhere close by....
[align=center]
Mad Men Headquarters
[/b][/i][/size]

[img=310x65]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s249/Slimmmmcity/Mad%20Men/RDnetAwardThreadBanner-Posse1

Offline SOGGY

• Shotgun Troll
  • D WILD BUNCH
  • Liked: 341
  • Trollin' fools since 1990.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »
That would defeat the fun of stagecoach rafting.
UPSTANDING MILITARYMAN http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Stann

PSN: SGM690

If you use the same quotes as others, you will look like a follower.

Quote invented on 10/6/2012. 6:19 p.m. by SGM690

Offline Outlaw_Marksman

• Slasher
  • D WILD BUNCH
  • Liked: 179
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 07:36:21 AM »
Quote from: 'SGM690' pid='277437' dateline='1295543590'

That would defeat the fun of stagecoach rafting.

A raft could be good but like SGM said it would take the fun out if it. Even if there was a raft i bet a lot of people would still drive their wagons and stagecoach into the water.

Offline Butcherbunny

• Rank Amatuer
  • D WILD BUNCH
  • Liked: 158
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »
Nice thread!! Thanks for bringing this one to my attention and if you ever need a rafting buddy count me in!!
:toilet: <--- where's an emoticon on a raft when you need one? (next closest thing)

Offline Creeping_Death79

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 08:35:05 PM »
This will give me something new to do besides jump horses on top of the mcfarlane barn
So let it be written, So let it be done, I\'m sent here by the chosen one.
So let it be written, So let it be done, To kill the first born pharaoh son.

I\'m creeping death!

Offline Subovon

• My hat hurts
  • I'm on a boat.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 10:46:05 PM »
Thank you all for your positive feedback, folks! I’m happy to know people are into the idea. I’ll be keeping an eye on the rivers to see if the idea catches on. I don’t see it becoming anything more than a niche activity but I’m still looking for the day I’m riding across a bridge and I see some cowboys floating down the river.

Gofer and Muzzleflash, I’m Subovon on the PSN as well. I’d love to join you on a rafting trip and I’m going to try adding you guys to my friend’s list. Same goes to anyone who feels that way.

Also, to respond to your suggestion, Gofer, you’re right about being able to go over the falls by entering the river along Tanner’s Span. I updated my post and included your info in the afterwards. The list was designed to help people get on the water and get going quickly, which is why I omitted it. Your pictures are awesome and I agree with you: HC Free Roam is the place to do this with posse mates. I meant to warn would-be sailors that in Normal FR, they’d get auto-aimed and shot on sight since most people looking at the map will notice a colored dot in the middle of a river!

Offline jci2297

• Propagator of Nonsense
  • Liked: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 11:10:11 PM »
I love doing this too, though I have yet to make it over Manteca. I always get stuck up against a boat in Thieves' or in front of Bacchus. Also, I wouldn't call it a glitch, since the floating physics of the coach seems pretty deliberate. I just wish they would fix the currents' effects on the coach. I hate how the San Luis flows so fast through that canyon but the coach moves so slow.
Providing entertainment and consternation for serious gamers since 2004

Weapons: Schofield, Springfield, Buffalo, Winchester, Rolling Block, Sawed-off

XBL: jci2297

Post in this thread if you want to be able to

Offline utb1528

• Gunslinger
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 223
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 03:31:02 AM »
Nice. Thanks.
Proud trainee at the Vegeta Boot Camp.
100% Completion RDR and UN

Offline Subovon

• My hat hurts
  • I'm on a boat.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 04:00:44 AM »
Quote from: 'jci2297' pid='282737' dateline='1296101411'

I love doing this too, though I have yet to make it over Manteca. I always get stuck up against a boat in Thieves' or in front of Bacchus. Also, I wouldn't call it a glitch, since the floating physics of the coach seems pretty deliberate. I just wish they would fix the currents' effects on the coach. I hate how the San Luis flows so fast through that canyon but the coach moves so slow.

When I'm looking to do that, I try to measure how deep the water is. It's an important part of what gets you going. I also know that using slopes to go in is best. But in fact, along the river at Tanner' Reach, you can plow over the rock and get to float. In other words, it's a little different every-time.

Offline 1morey

• Revelation 6:8
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 08:51:31 PM »
I've been doing the Thieve's Landing to Manteca Falls route, but always got stuck on the canyon. Then I found this guide and got to say it helped a lot more then just my common knowledge. I am trying the Great Plains to Blackwater route, and the coach got stuck on the rock in the middle of the river...for five seconds. At first I thought it would tip like the last time, so I tried to jump on the top of the stagecoach. I jumped the wrong way and ended up on the rock. I am currently watching the stagecoach drift downriver and me stranded on the rock. :dodgy:

*facepalm*
Confucius says: \"Man who plays with fire, makes ash of himself.\"