Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Definitive Guide to Stagecoach Boating in Red Dead Redemption  (Read 59936 times)

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 5479
  • Adios, half soldier
  • Awards Best Contributor 2014
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
RE: The Definitive Guide to Stagecoach Boating in Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2011, 08:39:56 AM »
I wish this was in some new DLC or something. It sure beats the horseracing we have now...

Offline jci2297

• Propagator of Nonsense
  • Liked: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2011, 09:48:03 AM »
I disagree. If R* promoted it then it would lose much of it's awesomeness because everyone would know about it. To me, the best part of coach rafting is the surprised reactions of other players.
Providing entertainment and consternation for serious gamers since 2004

Weapons: Schofield, Springfield, Buffalo, Winchester, Rolling Block, Sawed-off

XBL: jci2297

Post in this thread if you want to be able to

L.A.G AddySCFC

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 06:41:49 AM »
Quote from: 'floofgoofer' pid='323552' dateline='1300056136'

my durn chracter keeps abandoning ship at launch in Great Plains, pisser after the long ride from Gaptooth.  how to strap him down?
Next time we are both on at the same time I will add you in with me and the others.

We did quite a bit of stagecoach boating on friday.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2011, 07:41:08 AM »
Quote from: 'jci2297' pid='347083' dateline='1302356883'
I disagree. If R* promoted it then it would lose much of it's awesomeness because everyone would know about it. To me, the best part of coach rafting is the surprised reactions of other players.

Yeah but now I have to do it alone... :( no one crazy enough is online yet.

Offline jci2297

• Propagator of Nonsense
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2011, 11:19:01 AM »
Quote from: 'VMB-TAN' pid='347646' dateline='1302435668'

Yeah but now I have to do it alone... :( no one crazy enough is online yet.

The one time I tried rafting with a passenger, it didn't work. My character (driving) jumped off and glitched back on top, like he's supposed to. My passenger jumped off and just drowned. Did we do something wrong? All I did was drive off Dixon Crossing. I told him not to do anything and that he would glitch to the top of the coach, which didn't happen. In any case, he wasn't happy and shot me from the bank after respawning.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2011, 01:44:05 PM »
Ah what an asshole. But only the driver will end on top of the stagecoach, the passenger doesn't.

For some weeks I jump on the roof before entering the water.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:34:51 PM by VMB-TAN »

Offline jci2297

• Propagator of Nonsense
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2011, 11:26:20 PM »
I'll have to remember that. What's a good place near Thieves' Landing where a passenger could jump off a ledge and land on the roof of the coach?

Offline Archvile78

• headshots, headshots and more headshots
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2011, 03:57:12 AM »
Quote from: 'jci2297' pid='348121' dateline='1302492380'

I'll have to remember that. What's a good place near Thieves' Landing where a passenger could jump off a ledge and land on the roof of the coach?

Any accessible roof work, might take a couple of tries though due to the silly jumping.

Also i tried stagecoach boating today with my childhood friend. It was hilarious, especially in great plains down the rapid.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2011, 04:21:45 AM »
I do it like in the movie. I don't ride the horses into the water but the stagecoach first. Jump off and jump on the horses (go stand in front of them and sprint, then jump. You can also do it from the side) if you're on the roof: shoot the horses and the stagecoach will drive itself into the water.

Yesterday I drove the  San Luis river from Ramita De La Baya, boated for nearly 45 minutes until I got stuck underneath Frontera Bridge.

Offline Subovon

• My hat hurts
  • Liked: 42
  • I'm on a boat.
    • View Profile
    • The Definitive Guide To Stagecoach Boating in Red Dead Redemption
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2011, 09:53:01 PM »
Quote from: 'VMB-TAN' pid='348212' dateline='1302510105'

Yesterday I drove the  San Luis river from Ramita De La Baya, boated for nearly 45 minutes until I got stuck underneath Frontera Bridge.

That’s a nice drift! Where did you put in? From the island or the shore? If you can snap and post a phone picture of your map with an X on it, that would be great. I’m trying to collect all the great launching spots in the game.

Don't forget I’m still looking for good suggestions. Where do you launch from?

I’m with you. I like sharing it with everyone on here because I figure anyone interested in the forum plays the game a lot. Also, they read and that’s a good way to start separating the meat from the good stock. Let Stage-Boating spread through loyal players.

Quote from: 'jci2297' pid='347748' dateline='1302448741'

The one time I tried rafting with a passenger, it didn't work. My character (driving) jumped off and glitched back on top, like he's supposed to. My passenger jumped off and just drowned. Did we do something wrong? All I did was drive off Dixon Crossing. I told him not to do anything and that he would glitch to the top of the coach, which didn't happen. In any case, he wasn't happy and shot me from the bank after respawning.

No, you’re doing it correctly. I decided to edit the OP and instruct people NOT to sit in the passenger seat. Mortality is high but it does work which is why I’d written it  in. But I'll be damned if my success rate with someone there didn't go south after posting.

Sure fire way to get the whole posse on the water: use a handful of guys to clear the Gaptooth Breach hideout quickly and get a couple (or hell, 3 or 4) stagecoaches and that’ll give you some space on the roof and some spare boats. Just keep in mind that if you park a stagecoach far enough for the hideout to respawn, the damn game will “steal it” if you don’t have someone on it.

So grab ‘em and drive ‘em to the water is what I tell people. Best to have ‘em safe and regroup at your destination of choice. Don’t forget to grab a sandwich and unless you’re going to Thieves’ Landing, sun screen is a good idea, too.

Happy sailin’ boys!

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2011, 09:02:44 AM »
Quote from: 'Subovon' pid='350305' dateline='1302745981'
That’s a nice drift! Where did you put in? From the island or the shore? If you can snap and post a phone picture of your map with an X on it, that would be great. I’m trying to collect all the great launching spots in the game.

It was a long trip but very relaxing one :) I took off from the island, the point shaped spot. A little to the left from where you started (posted in your first post)

Offline pablomcquy

• bobing94
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, 10:20:21 AM »
I can't go get on top of the stagecoach, how do you do it?
Whenever I press square near the coach, my character just jumps.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2011, 01:09:15 PM »
Try jumping on the horses (square butten not triangle) either from the front or the side. It can take some time, but you'll be rewarded when you succeed.

Offline Subovon

• My hat hurts
  • I'm on a boat.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2011, 05:58:44 PM »
Quote from: 'VMB-TAN' pid='352065' dateline='1302958964'

It was a long trip but very relaxing one :) I took off from the island, the point shaped spot. A little to the left from where you started (posted in your first post)

Thanks for the pic! I've gone in at that spot and it's from there that I once got very luck and made it all the way to Nosalida. It was a long cruise indeed. I glitched through the bridge and kept going. Like you, on most trips, I'll either get stuck at the bridge or against one of the rocks in the rapids - the rapids you get to soon after launching. Always some luck involved!

Quote from: 'pablomcquy' pid='354646' dateline='1303222821'

I can't go get on top of the stagecoach, how do you do it?
Whenever I press square near the coach, my character just jumps.

You don't need to do anything to get on top of the stagecoach if you're alone. Read the OP on how you can drive in and do nothing - and survive for a long sailing trip. If you're trying to get some posse mates on top, pull it up against a house you can climb on and step onto the stagecoach from the roof. That's the easiest way to do it.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2011, 01:14:01 PM »
I did it today at Greenhollow, west of the rocks in the water. The current east of Greenhollow isn't strong enough, I tried various spots earlier on. Too bad actually, it would be quite a trip from Manteca Falls to (hopefully) Nosalida :)

When floating downstream there's a S-curve in the river, a bend to the left and then right, got stuck at the second :( I definately gonna try that spot some more, my goal is Nosalida :)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:16:39 PM by VMB-TAN »

Offline Subovon

• My hat hurts
  • I'm on a boat.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2011, 06:17:32 PM »
Quote from: 'VMB-TAN' pid='358947' dateline='1303578841'

I did it today at Greenhollow, west of the rocks in the water. The current east of Greenhollow isn't strong enough, I tried various spots earlier on. Too bad actually, it would be quite a trip from Manteca Falls to (hopefully) Nosalida :)

When floating downstream there's a S-curve in the river, a bend to the left and then right, got stuck at the second :( I definately gonna try that spot some more, my goal is Nosalida :)

Ah, Greehollow. I was considerably disappointing that I could not launch a nice trip from there but it won't work. (If anyone knows of a way, please say so bellow.)

I can tell you that the ONLY time I made it all the way to Nosalida, I launched from the same spot on the island you were on in Ramita De La Baya. I didn't get stuck in the rapids, I didn't get stuck at the bridge - a miracle that I glitched through it - and then it was a sloooooow drift all the way down the bend. I had launched the stagecoach and started reading and answering work mail while it was happening and it was kinda fun to keep an eye on but like I said in the OP, you're better off doing the river raft mission with Irish again or the co-op mission. You'd think that since that stretch of the river is featured several times in the game, it would float the coach but it don't.

Keep sharing ideas as you discover them, sailors!

Offline Al_C_UatdaSaloon

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2011, 09:47:22 PM »
What a great thread, thanks for the info and effort!

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2011, 06:09:00 AM »
Greenhollow isn't a great spot for it. Tried it yesterday in SP a few times, but never made it around the second corner :(

Offline Gofer

• Techn9tion
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2011, 06:32:10 AM »
heres a little bit of info that may or may not be helpful because Ive only done it once on accident and don't know if it will work again with the same results. I was down by the old bacchus place trying to start my river rafting from there hoping that if I started there I would have a better chance going down Manteca falls then if I started all they way back in Dixon Crossing. As soon as I got the stagecoach in the water it didnt budge 1 inch so I did what any stagecoach boater does in this situation, start using your mount as a sacrificial battering ram repeatedly drowning them over and over again in hopes of pushing the stagecoach farther into sea hoping it catches a drift. Luckily I had a good number of posse mates and I so happened to be using the buffalo as my mount. In one of my many attempts to push the stagecoach I ended up accidentally landing my buffalo directly on top of the stagecoach (immeadiatly tossing one of the designated sailors originally on the stagecoach into the water lol) and all of a sudden the stagecoach started moving. For some reason having a buffalo on top of the stagecoach changed everything. Unfortunately I did not make it past Manteca falls but ended up pretty close to it, but for some reason the boat just stopped in mid river. I just wanted to share this bit of info so that maybe waters previously unstagecoachboatable can possibly be stagecoachboatable with a buffalo on top. Or maybe it just did it this one time for some wierd reason. I havent had time to try it again so maybe someone else with more time can figure it out. Oh and heres a pic to prove it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:36:18 AM by Gofer »

Offline Subovon

• My hat hurts
  • I'm on a boat.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2011, 01:10:34 AM »
Quote from: 'Gofer' pid='360604' dateline='1303727530'
Oh and heres a pic to prove it.

Holy cow! I bet that was funny as hell. It's hard to imagine duplicating the event but what a rig!

I've got to understand, though... where were you that the buffalo could jump up or fall on top of the stage coach? Those things won't jump over a pebble for me! Were you running at it from the hill?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:09:58 PM by Subovon »