Username: Password:

Author Topic: How to duel?  (Read 58699 times)

Offline emil

• Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
How to duel?
« on: May 18, 2010, 01:09:21 PM »
OK, this is going to sound kind of stupid. But I wasn't really paying attention during the tutorial and now I'm kind of lost.

Currently I just mash buttons and hope for the best. Can anyone just give a quick guide on how to go about it? What buttons to push, and at what time etc.

Much appreciated.

EDIT: Added to the main post and stickied ~ Cipher 8
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbSzFeC1nuQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbSzFeC1nuQ</a>
[align=center]Main things: [/align]
  • Pull Left Trigger(360) L2 (PS3) or pull down and up on the right analog stick to draw your gun. You can push your hand closer to your gun without drawing by ever so slightly pushing down on the right analog stick.
  • The longer you wait to draw, even after your opponent has reached for his weapon the closer the camera zooms in and the more accurate you are. (I always draw last)
  • The goal is to fill your meter in the bottom right fuller then the other person by placing marks on him.
  • The aiming reticule goes from Red to White. Big to Small. You want to place your marks as white marks because it fills your meter fuller for each marks compared to the less accurate red marks which barely fill your meter. So placing a bunch of marks as fast as you can is not as effective as taking a little bit more time and placing all white marks.
  • You can disarm them by placing a mark on their hand. You earn more fame and honor for doing so. You can also apparently shoot their hat off and make them dance, although I haven't actually done this myself yet.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:31:50 PM by Cipher 8 »

Offline russik112

• Yosemite Sam Argh!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
RE: How to duel?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 02:13:32 PM »
You bought the game. Go look at the manual, you can't be that stupid, now can you?

Mod note: User was warned for this post. - kaiserkellar
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:28:54 AM by kaiserkellar »

Offline JADO

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 02:28:09 PM »
When you draw your gun you will notice the crosshair is flashing between red and white.You have to mark your target when the crosshair is white in order to have more power in each shot.In the lower right hand corner you have a power meter which shows the power of your shots,the player with the highest meter wins the duel.

Offline emil

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:41:50 PM »
Quote from: 'russik112' pid='31763' dateline='1274206412'

You bought the game. Go look at the manual, you can't be that stupid, now can you?

Quite helpful. At least we know that number doesn't stand for your IQ. Don't know why I'm bothering answering an obvious retard who can't even figure out that maybe, just maybe, the manual wasn't accessible to me at the time of my post, but here goes: The game was delivered to my workplace (if you ever get an education you'll figure out what that word means) where I unpacked it and unfortunately left the manual behind as I had started reading it before going home and never packed it upon leaving.

Quote from: 'JADO' pid='31805' dateline='1274207289'

When you draw your gun you will notice the crosshair is flashing between red and white.You have to mark your target when the crosshair is white in order to have more power in each shot.In the lower right hand corner you have a power meter which shows the power of your shots,the player with the highest meter wins the duel.

Much appreciated. I intentionally got into a few duels by getting caught cheating and getting the hang of it.

Offline tearorwrist

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 03:30:10 PM »
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:45:58 PM by tearorwrist »

Offline croxyj

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »
-------
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 09:45:44 AM by croxyj »

Offline CrazedMongoose

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »
Quote from: 'croxyj' pid='31943' dateline='1274212210'
Sounds like a pirates bullshit excuse but whatever I agree with russik. Also I dislike people that after a comment like that have to attack the poster with a word such as retard, which I find quite offensive thrown into a sentence out of any kind of context.
Watch yourself. Don't abuse other members- Grubster11
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:42:56 PM by Grubster11 »

Offline Paladin985

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 07:56:03 AM »
I would also like help concerning this, I checked the manual and there are no indications has to what buttons to press for duels and I always end up shooting the guy just about anywhere so I don't get killed. I would like to know which buttons to press to paint the target is it R1 or R2. I usually end up having to click both since it doesn't seem to work half of the time.

Offline Stig McNasty

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 08:02:20 AM »
Same here for dueling.  Can any kind person explain?  The manual has jack squat in it

Offline TK42OnE

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 08:43:20 AM »
I seemed to get by fine in the three duels I was in last night, but I really have no idea how.

I just drew my pistol with the right analog stick, and started pressing x when the crosshairs were over the guy.

I wanted to take him down with one shot, but my pistol wouldn't fire so I just kept pressing x. I dunno. :/

Offline HateTheVillain

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 12:29:53 PM »

dude, before u insult someone by calling them stupid for asking a simple question.. maybe just maybe, you should check to see if what your saying is actually in the manual..

seriously if your not going to help the guy out with the answer why even bother replying at all?

i was wondering the same thing as the poster, so much obliged to people who actually answered the question without being a dick about it.

Offline Jamoking

• Gunslinger
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 01:44:21 PM »
For PS3, you need to move the crosshairs over the person and press R1 at each desired location. You just need to place enough targets so that your meter is higher than your opponents, once it gets high enough you'll automatically fire. So depending on where you place the targets, it could take you few to many targets painted, act quickly of course or else your opponent will get a higher meter and fire before you can.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:46:22 PM by Jamoking »

Offline sccapro7

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 08:39:30 PM »

ya that would work  if it actually said it in the manual. now who's stupid??????????????????????

and the duels get harder and harder as you go on. the first few duels you do are gimmes
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:43:30 PM by sccapro7 »

Offline Mudder

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 11:44:22 PM »
Im confused on this one too.  I had no issues at first, won my first 5+ duels, but now Ive lost about 3 in a row.  Ive done everything the same, but my meter never fills up and it always seems to lag in the middle letting the other guy get his shots off first.  What gives?

Offline PredawnDwarf

• AftertwilightMidget
  • Liked: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 01:19:13 AM »
Aim for his hand and gun. If you hit it even once, the meter fills right up. You get more honor and fame if you only disarm the opponent.

Offline greystoker

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 01:27:08 AM »
Quote from: 'Jamoking' pid='33636' dateline='1274291061'
For PS3, you need to move the crosshairs over the person and press R1 at each desired location. You just need to place enough targets so that your meter is higher than your opponents, once it gets high enough you'll automatically fire. So depending on where you place the targets, it could take you few to many targets painted, act quickly of course or else your opponent will get a higher meter and fire before you can.
this changes at dead eye 3. r2 is the button to mark.
[align=center]PSN ID List
YoolTube videos
[/align]

Offline ahatmahatma

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 01:35:33 AM »
HOW TO DUEL:

• Press L2 or pull back and then forward on the right control stick to draw your gun. L2 is easier.

Drawing second means you'll have more chance of winning - sounds counter-intuitive, but it's true. I'm led to believe this is because your accuracy is improved (to compensate for your late draw). Your best bet is to wait until the screen turns sepia and flashes 'Draw' or 'Let's Draw' or whatever the text is - and then press L2.

• Paint the other dueler using the R1 button.

The important thing here is to wait until the crosshairs turn small and white. They start out big and red and gradually close to a point - you'll do better if you hit R1 as close as possible to the point where they are at their smallest.

And that's it! When your dead eye meter runs out on the right, you'll start shooting.

A few other points.

Jamoking: R1 is the button you use to paint, not R2 (under the default settings).

To the flamers: there is nothing in the manual about dueling. Go have a look yourself before you flame someone for not finding all that non-existent info on topic x.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:36:43 AM by ahatmahatma »

Offline Cipher 8

• The Animal List Guy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reddead.net/forums/thread-animals-in-red-dead-redemption
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 05:14:33 AM »
Quote from: 'ahatmahatma' pid='43388' dateline='1274679333'

HOW TO DUEL:

• Press L2 or pull back and then forward on the right control stick to draw your gun. L2 is easier.

Drawing second means you'll have more chance of winning - sounds counter-intuitive, but it's true. I'm led to believe this is because your accuracy is improved (to compensate for your late draw). Your best bet is to wait until the screen turns sepia and flashes 'Draw' or 'Let's Draw' or whatever the text is - and then press L2.

The important thing here is to wait until the crosshairs turn small and white. They start out big and red and gradually close to a point - you'll do better if you hit R1 as close as possible to the point where they are at their smallest.

And that's it! When your dead eye meter runs out on the right, you'll start shooting.

A few other points.

Jamoking: R1 is the button you use to paint, not R2 (under the default settings).

To the flamers: there is nothing in the manual about dueling. Go have a look yourself before you flame someone for not finding all that non-existent info on topic x.

Very informative and helpful post, wish I had saw this before I figured out the hard way, about 20 duel losses of spamming the RT thinking more marks the more my bar fills up :P  Silly me.
[align=center]
Problem with Free Roam <--- Please Fix this Rockstar!
[img]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/millertime6888/Red%20Dead%20Redemption/RDR

Offline NZRAWFURY

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 09:51:39 AM »

HOW TO DUEL:

A few other points.

It's the same deal on XBOX... you'll notice the longer you wait to draw and mark your opponent the more your meter fills up with power.

During the duel the camera continues to move forward making precision shooting easier the longer you wait.

If you mark them wen the reticle is small and white and in a vital place e.g hand = game over

I one shot kill guys in the head all the time - usually my meter only gets to about 60-75% but I just wait and watch my enemy's meter. It usually only gets up to about 50% - if i get nervous i just mark another shot to ensure the win but usually this isn't necessary = one shot kill

I think you can probably get close to 100% of your bar filled with one head shot if u wait long enough and time it right. But there is a fine line between waiting a good effective long time and waiting too long and then none of your marks register on the power meter and you get blown away.
[align=center][/align]

Offline will54

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »
Quote from: 'NZRAWFURY' pid='43913' dateline='1274709099'

HOW TO DUEL:

A few other points.

It's the same deal on XBOX... you'll notice the longer you wait to draw and mark your opponent the more your meter fills up with power.

During the duel the camera continues to move forward making precision shooting easier the longer you wait.

If you mark them wen the reticle is small and white and in a vital place e.g hand = game over

I one shot kill guys in the head all the time - usually my meter only gets to about 60-75% but I just wait and watch my enemy's meter. It usually only gets up to about 50% - if i get nervous i just mark another shot to ensure the win but usually this isn't necessary = one shot kill

I think you can probably get close to 100% of your bar filled with one head shot if u wait long enough and time it right. But there is a fine line between waiting a good effective long time and waiting too long and then none of your marks register on the power meter and you get blown away.
I always just put the mark on the guys chest and tapped as fast as possible and I figured this was wrong so this was a big help. I even have the big book which is full of a bunch of nothing what a ripoff.