Username: Password:

Author Topic: How to duel?  (Read 58855 times)

Offline bulletime69

• Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
RE: How to duel?
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 08:40:53 PM »
very helpful posts,

Offline qraider

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 04:47:52 AM »
Quote from: 'ahatmahatma' pid='43388' dateline='1274679333'
HOW TO DUEL:

• Press L2 or pull back and then forward on the right control stick to draw your gun. L2 is easier.

Drawing second means you'll have more chance of winning - sounds counter-intuitive, but it's true. I'm led to believe this is because your accuracy is improved (to compensate for your late draw). Your best bet is to wait until the screen turns sepia and flashes 'Draw' or 'Let's Draw' or whatever the text is - and then press L2.

• Paint the other dueler using the R1 button.

The important thing here is to wait until the crosshairs turn small and white. They start out big and red and gradually close to a point - you'll do better if you hit R1 as close as possible to the point where they are at their smallest.

And that's it! When your dead eye meter runs out on the right, you'll start shooting.

A few other points.

Jamoking: R1 is the button you use to paint, not R2 (under the default settings).

To the flamers: there is nothing in the manual about dueling. Go have a look yourself before you flame someone for not finding all that non-existent info on topic x.

This is what I was looking for in my first duel ... which I lost - this should be in the manual.
Thank you ahatmahatma.

And thank you russik112 for that very informative post, I drool on your boots in awe.

Offline Huge

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 07:14:45 AM »
lol...

"ahatmahatma" is the kind of forumer that should be cloned. Solved the problem I was having as well.

Offline Prathik

• The man in black fled across the desert
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 07:27:52 AM »
Quote from: 'ahatmahatma' pid='43388' dateline='1274679333'
Drawing second means you'll have more chance of winning - sounds counter-intuitive, but it's true.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/02/03-01.html

You guys should read this, its proven in scientific terms that if you draw last you have a better chance of surviving a duel.

Thanks for your post, and NZRAWFURY's.
... and the gunslinger followed.

Offline RayTonz

• The Only Protege of Landon Ricketts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 10:07:56 AM »
I guess there is no way to one shot the guy in the head huh? :|
XBL - RockaFlockaFire - Level 50 - The Legend/Outdoors Enthusiast.

Offline TehBluebear

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 11:58:14 AM »
This clears things right up! Thanks ahatmahatma!

Having trouble with one thing however...
Show content for Hiden:
When duelling Mario at the end of Eva In Peril, I can't seem to disarm him. He always kills me. Is it possible to disarm him, or will I have to kill him?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:01:15 PM by TehBluebear »

Offline RobotRokk

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 12:31:14 PM »
Quote from: 'russik112' pid='31763' dateline='1274206412'

You bought the game. Go look at the manual, you can't be that stupid, now can you?

Not cool.

Thanks,  ahatmahatma. I'd shake your hand if I could.

Offline mainjimus

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 12:53:57 PM »
Thanks of the heads up on just being able to just disarm the opponent. I had my first duel and I ended up putting around 5 rounds in the poor dudes face and really I would rather just get more fame and honor out of the duels.
Luck is where you find it:idea:

Offline RobotRokk

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 01:05:32 PM »
Quote from: 'mainjimus' pid='46901' dateline='1274806437'

Thanks of the heads up on just being able to just disarm the opponent. I had my first duel and I ended up putting around 5 rounds in the poor dudes face and really I would rather just get more fame and honor out of the duels.

Hahah. I did the same my first times as well. Kinda felt bad, unless they spit before the duel. Then I go foot, foot, hand, hand. Then watch them squirm on the ground after.

Offline UrbanLegend

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »
So much of this thread is irrelevant shit talking - nearly half of it.

360 Tips:

To practice dueling change into your elegant suit and head to the Macfarlane Ranch to play some poker. This seems to be the cheapest place to play @ $10 a hand. Most of the time you can duel here 4 - 5 times with a chance to gain 400FAME & 800HONOR maybe more.

Mark your opponents hand once and you win.

Offline Cipher 8

• The Animal List Guy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reddead.net/forums/thread-animals-in-red-dead-redemption
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 07:32:15 PM »
Updated the main post.
[align=center]
Problem with Free Roam <--- Please Fix this Rockstar!
[img]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/millertime6888/Red%20Dead%20Redemption/RDR

Offline Rotten

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 02:11:35 AM »
Quote from: 'TehBluebear' pid='46765' dateline='1274803094'

Show content for Hiden:
When duelling Mario at the end of Eva In Peril, I can't seem to disarm him. He always kills me. Is it possible to disarm him, or will I have to kill him?

This was brought up in another thread about dueling.  I had the same issue with some of the story driven duels.  I think some just have to die to have the story/cutscenes play out properly.   There are a few others you'll come across.

Offline Prathik

• The man in black fled across the desert
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 08:29:09 AM »
Quote from: 'Rotten' pid='48377' dateline='1274854295'
Quote from: 'TehBluebear' pid='46765' dateline='1274803094'

Show content for Hiden:

This was brought up in another thread about dueling.  I had the same issue with some of the story driven duels.  I think some just have to die to have the story/cutscenes play out properly.   There are a few others you'll come across.

Yeah, I was totally pissed off. The guy kept killing me over and over again. I gave up and just filled the douche with lead.
... and the gunslinger followed.

Offline ahatmahatma

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 12:09:05 PM »
You're all welcome!

I actually just realized that I forgot to mention the meters on the side in my original post. As far as I can tell the winner of the duel is decided by the level of your meter (blue) vs. your opponent's meter (red), and the little black bars represent your shots. I'm going to have to experiment a little, but I think the first shot is crucial - i.e. if your first shot fills up more of the meter than your opponent's first shot, you win. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I had the same problem with disarming an opponent in a story-duel...

Show content for Hiden:
...in the stranger mission for Clara? where you have to duel the guy that got her pregnant. I must've tried 10 times to disarm him but it just wouldn't let me. The whole thing made more sense with him dead, I guess.

Offline Cipher 8

• The Animal List Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 01:52:52 PM »
Has anyone made a video showing you can make them dance or was that just some wisecrack remark by someone here because I've tried and tried to place white markers on their feet and it don't work... I think you can only kill them or disarm them. Also shooting their hat off, that won't stop the duel either I don't think.
[align=center]
[img]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/millertime6888/Red%20Dead%20Redemption/RDR

Offline MarsJackston

• is invisible
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 02:24:03 PM »
Quote from: 'RayTonz' pid='46479' dateline='1274796476'

I guess there is no way to one shot the guy in the head huh? :|

You can but you have to wait like shown in the video. I'm not sure, but I also think you have to third level of Dead Eye. I don't know because I actually didn't do a duel until after the first couple of Mexico missions.
GT: CommentedPants

Wolves killed: 208, Cougars: 22, Bears: 16

2010 Stanley Cup Champions!

Offline Cipher 8

• The Animal List Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 07:23:33 PM »
Yeah whoever said you can make them dance is a liar and is lucky I can't find the post to see who is spreading lies. I've tried for hours just reloading from a save to make the person dance by shooting at their feet. I've white marked both feet three times each in multiple duels and it never makes them dance. If you start to mark anything higher it just kills them as those vital shots will be the ones you fire.

So as far as I know. There's two ways of doing it. Disarm them by shooting their gun hand. Kill them with a flurry of bullets (marks) to the chest, torso, and head. You may shoot their hat off accidently but that's just because the bullets hit the hat or the person is spinning and the hat goes flying off.
[align=center]

Offline IMLOL

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2010, 03:02:32 AM »
Thanks, I also didnt pay attention to the tutorial. I was to worried about getting killed.

Offline fuzz!

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010, 05:17:19 AM »
okay here's my version of events - i nearly broke the controller trying to figure this out (the manual doesnt say anything about duelling and there are many conflicting reports of how this is to be done online)

first off the ONLY things you want to touch are R1 and the right analog stick..

wait for the animation to finish, then the camera will slowly zoom in.. keep waiting.

when the screen says "DRAW" flick R analog stick forward, then pull back on it to place the marker over the other guys head.

sometimes it doesn't work at first - just quickly flick it forward/pull back again.. the targeting reticle should appear.

click R1 on the other guys head and again when and ONLY when the targeting reticle is small and white.

do this as many times as you can.. ignore the bars on the bottom right of the screen they don't seem to mean anything.

when the timers up you should blow the other guy away.

good luck!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 06:02:33 AM by fuzz! »

Offline Cipher 8

• The Animal List Guy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 10:43:41 AM »
Quote from: 'fuzz!' pid='51128' dateline='1274951839'
okay here's my version of events - i nearly broke the controller trying to figure this out (the manual doesnt say anything about duelling and there are many conflicting reports of how this is to be done online)

first off the ONLY things you want to touch are R1 and the right analog stick..

wait for the animation to finish, then the camera will slowly zoom in.. keep waiting.

when the screen says "DRAW" flick R analog stick forward, then pull back on it to place the marker over the other guys head.

sometimes it doesn't work at first - just quickly flick it forward/pull back again.. the targeting reticle should appear.

click R1 on the other guys head and again when and ONLY when the targeting reticle is small and white.

do this as many times as you can.. ignore the bars on the bottom right of the screen they don't seem to mean anything.

when the timers up you should blow the other guy away.

good luck!

You sir are horribly misinformed. The bars at the bottom right mean everything! Whoever's bar is filled higher wins. The markers (lines) on those bars are your marks on the other player. Now I agree the player should ignore it right away because you should be concentrating on setting markers on the other player. Not watching the bars.

The marks you place on your duel opponent matter a lot! Red marks fill your bar a little but the White marks fill it a lot. You want to wait til the other guy draws his gun first so you get a more accurate chance at placing shots. Meaning your aiming reticule goes between red and white marks slower allowing you to place white marks on the guy more easily. Yes you clan either press LT/L2 or use the right analog stick (Flick down then up) to draw but you can press RB or RT on 360 to place markers, I'm guessing it's the same for PS3 R1 or R2. Hope that helps you keep your controller in working order :P
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:46:17 AM by Cipher 8 »
[align=center]