Username: Password:

Author Topic: How to duel?  (Read 58976 times)

Offline Battle Axe Jack

• Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
RE: How to duel?
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2010, 12:14:10 PM »
WOW! Duelling sounds awesome now! I finished the game (GOD only knows how) after losing my manual and not paying much attention to the duelling intro (prob coz my wife was yelling at me to get off the xbox or something) :) Somehow I still managed to win 90% of the duels on DUMB LUCK

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Red Dead Darren

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2010, 11:54:41 PM »
(this tip goes toward the players that have trouble winning at duel) The easiest way to win at duel, is when the time to draw, you hold (LT) of course and you see the aim "cursor" that turns red then white constantly, when the "crosshair" turns white, target the body area you wanna shoot at, the more white crosshairs, the more bars on your meter the better chance of winning.
Red Dead Darren
100% Completion Club

Offline Roaven

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2010, 11:56:04 PM »
I always got lucky spamming shots on my first run through, only now do I realize that being accurate is better. Couldn't understand why my friend was having trouble.

Offline vicky222114

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2010, 02:28:40 AM »
Step 1: The Draw

A duel starts with a quick staredown as the camera slowly moves into the action. At this moment, you don't need to do anything, though you can hold DOWN on the Right Analog Stick to ready your hand by the gun for a quicker draw. When the screen flashes "DRAW!" push UP on the Right Analog Stick to pull out your gun. (Side note: You can actually be quick on the draw and pull out the gun well before the screen flashes the "DRAW!" message. But doing this prevents the camera from zooming in fully, and could decrease the accuracy of your shots.)

Step 2: Targeting

Move the reticule over a part of the opponent's body and pull the Right Trigger / R2 button to set a target point. Each successful target will fill up your blue meter in the lower-right corner of the screen. Fill your meter before the opponent fills his and you'll win the duel. If you want to disarm the opponent instead of killing him, make sure you only target his hand. However, if you unload too many shots, even into the opponent's arm, you'll still kill him.

Step 3: Winning

Notice that your aiming reticule flashes red and white. If you pull the Right Trigger / R2 button to set a target just as the reticule turns white, you'll fill up a larger portion of your blue meter. In fact, usually one or two perfect shots are enough to fill the meter entirely and win the duel. If you want a successful disarm without going overboard and killing the opponent, you need these perfect targets to end the fight in a single shot.

answer From:http://www.pubarticles.com/article-how-to-duel-red-dead-redemption-ps3-easily-1278985666.html
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:30:17 AM by vicky222114 »

Offline Red Dead Boy

• GET OUT OF THIS THREAD!!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2010, 04:10:34 AM »
If you want to win a duel quickly just aim for the hand just click once and you win

:crowngrin:100%COMPLETION CLUB:crowngrin:
GT: LegionAbyss or ShadowAbyssNZ
Riders of War leader
Bigfoot Hunting

Offline high_plains_drifter

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2010, 06:25:49 PM »
Quote from: 'JADO' pid='31805' dateline='1274207289'

When you draw your gun you will notice the crosshair is flashing between red and white.You have to mark your target when the crosshair is white in order to have more power in each shot.In the lower right hand corner you have a power meter which shows the power of your shots,the player with the highest meter wins the duel.

Thanks very much, that's the simplest explanation Ive read and been able to follow.

Offline CarntFace

• Rockstar
  • Liked: 216
  • "Let's Do It!"
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2010, 12:56:10 AM »
Aim everywhere. It's what i do. Just try not to shoot the poor guy in the groin.

Offline it was the mouse!

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2010, 02:01:37 PM »
Quote from: 'Stig McNasty' pid='33053' dateline='1274270540'

Same here for dueling.  Can any kind person explain?  The manual has jack squat in it

when you are Duelling make sure you pull Right Trigger/L 2 when it says 'DRAW!' or something like that.

ALSO, when you are targeting choose his Right Forearm.

ALSO! try to pull the right Joy-Stick down before you pullout your gun.

Last, try targeting him when the crosshair is white and small, not big and red.

Hope it Help Anyone who needed this.
Then i shot him in the head.

Offline reachfortheskyyy

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2011, 11:54:55 AM »
Is it just me or are the guys at the poker table in Theives Landing harder to win in a dual??? The Chinese guy has owned me at least twice now...:confused:

Offline floofgoofer

• TWO
  • Liked: 1892
  • When I think about you... I pull RT
  • Awards Best username
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2011, 05:22:45 AM »
if you leave your crosshair on the spot you want to hit, the longer you leave it there before marking with RB (xbox) the more damage it does  - works for me, that's all I know for sure lol.  Just take your time with each mark.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:48:50 PM by floofgoofer »

Offline iluminatae

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2011, 08:58:12 AM »
I had trouble with this but found that when the "DRAW" signaled I wait for the screen to zoom in completely, then I just tag the opponents head with as many shots as I can.

Offline Shaunyboy010

• Liked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2011, 07:14:44 PM »
Quote from: 'russik112' pid='31763' dateline='1274206412'

You bought the game. Go look at the manual, you can't be that stupid, now can you?

Mod note: User was warned for this post. - kaiserkellar

thats a bit harsh and unnecessary

Offline Jack Crabb

• Liked: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: How to duel?
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2012, 02:08:34 PM »
I've been having difficulty understanding exactly how dueling works as well - I see I'm not alone - so I sought out this thread and the various "how-to" videos that have been posted.  There seems to be some outright contradictions regarding which button or stick to do what thing, and most of the attempts to explain the process are still a bit confusing, or vague, at least regarding the basic mechanics. 

However, by trying to make sense of all the advice the best I could, I did manage to win a duel last night.  I think what some players, like myself, might need is a real basic, step-by-step layout of the mechanics of dueling by itself, without the strategizing that might only confuse matters, at least at the very first.  I still have questions, but here are the actual moves (in XBox)  one needs to make to duel in RDR (not necessarily to win, but just to to do it) as I currently understand them:

1.  Find a duel challenge somehow (random, or by the card-cheat deal as others have mentioned).
2.  Follow the prompts to begin the duel.
3.  Once you get the "Draw!" prompt, press the left trigger (and hold? this is a detail usually left out in other explanations - but it seems that that you hold).
4.  The screen goes to slow motion, allowing you to raise the target reticule using the right stick - the marker will start out at the bottom of the screen, but it's mostly just a matter of raising it straight up, more or less,  to find appropriate targets on your opponent's body).
5.  Mark the target areas you wish to hit by pressing the right bumper (I'm confused as to what R1 and R2 are, and I don't have the manual with me right now.  This is where the meter business comes in, but that's strategy).
6.  The slow motion should be just about to stop, and the actual firing begins - this bit goes by pretty fast, but I assume once real-time starts back up, you simply pull the right trigger a bunch (if you've selected multiple targets,  or once if you only set one).  If you were able to set good targets, you probably win!

Anyway, I think I have enough confidence now to accept duel challenges as they occur.  Please let me know if I'm wrong about something here (like you're shy about that sort of thing!).   :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:14:11 PM by Jack Crabb »

Offline Snakeman

• I'm not the best and I don't claim to be.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: How to duel?
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »
I have a PS3 but I am sure it is the same for the X-Box 360 players. You target using the button to shoot. Wait for the cross hairs to go from red to white. White is good. Target while the cross hairs white and your meter will fill up faster. I found it more useful to use a pistol that used only six bullets. When your meter gets full and you have some bullets left start targeting really fast. That way the other person will not have time to target you all the way and shoot and kill you with one shot.   (whip)
100% Completion Club
Never run just put another shell in and try again.
Sasquatch Hunter
RDR Werewolf Hunter