Username: Password:

Author Topic: cheating at poker  (Read 53267 times)

Offline Curlin

• Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theaspiringhorseplayer.com
    • Awards
RE: cheating at poker
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2010, 07:06:38 PM »
Quote from: 'Loboix' pid='92323' dateline='1277316661'

Quote from: 'Curlin' pid='91218' dateline='1277252853'

Quote from: 'Loboix' pid='90009' dateline='1277211444'

Quote from: 'Curlin' pid='89230' dateline='1277152912'

Surprised I haven't seen anyone mention this before.  There's one element of "cheating" I both don't understand or seem to be able to pull off.

Okay - so I'm in my Elegant Suit and all ready to cheat. I go and sit down for a hand of poker.  First hand I'm dealing, and we all know to hit the button (for me it's triangle) to cheat and pull the card from the bottom of the deck.  The key, as many have stated, is to be gentle with the stick and keep it balanced. Voila - now I've got my "3rd card" stashed in my pocket...

What I don't get is what happens when I stop dealing.  Marston sits there, already with his 3rd card hidden and all other cards dealt, with his hand on the remaining deck as he puts it on the table.  Another "cheat" icon pops up.  The few times I've been brave enough to try again, within a milisecond I'm accused of cheating (seriously - it's so fast you basically can't react to it.).  Then of course you wind up in a duel.

So...anyone know what that "2nd round" of cheating is on the hands you've dealt (and to be clear, I'm talking AFTER you've already swiped the bottom card from the deck)?   What is that?  Seems glitchy and unnecessary to me but I was shocked nobody else that I saw/read had asked about it.  

One other question (and one that makes me feel newbish).  When you guys say "high stakes poker" - that's just the poker game outside of the salloon at Blackwater, right?  Or is there some other high stakes game I missed in my first play through?

The "2nd" part of cheating is when you swap the card you nicked from dealing with a card in your hand.

Say you got ace of spades from cheating when dealing...You now have that as a 3rd card. When its your turn to bet, you can swap the ace of spades from outside into your hand, replacing either of the 2 cards you were dealt.

To do this, you press triangle, and then left or right on the left stick (I think its the left one). Press left on the stick if you want to swap the ace for the left card, and press right to swap the right hand side card - easy peasy !

You now have the card you swapped out as a backup card

And for the record, this HAS been asked a few times, or at least once...I remember answering it :)

I appreciate your response, but that's not really what I'm asking.  I know you can swap the card you picked.  I do that all the time - what I'm talking about is specifically the prompt to cheat that appears while Marston has finished dealing - but has not yet looked at his own cards (indeed, he still has his hand on the deck on the table).

Maybe it's just me - but this action seems bugged.  

I've "cheated" and taken an extra card and "cheated" to swipe said card for another in my hand countless times.  It's this in-between cheat that I'm describing.

Just to be clear:

- Cheat 1:  While dealing, the player can pocket an extra card from the bottom of his deck - no problems here.

- Cheat 2:  When finished dealing (and after "cheat 1"), Marston, with his hand on the deck and unable to view his own cards yet - is prompted again to press triangle to cheat.  This is the action that seems bugged and has me confused.

- Cheat 3:  Take the card from "cheat 1" and swap for any card in your hand - no problems here either.

Hopefully that's more clear.  There's also an awkward delay during "cheat 2" where it seems the game is expecting me to cheat again.

In that case, I think its just a matter of the triangle is still there from "Cheat 1"...and in that case, there is no "Cheat 2"

There are 2 cheats. First, when you steal a card (CHeat 1) and second when you swap the stolen card in (Cheat 3). There is nothing you can do between those

It's probably a moot point, since I no longer cheat at poker ever - but in my game that's not correct.

I pull off "cheat 1" successfully - already have the card in my sleeve/pocket and am totally finished with "cheat 1" - and it still prompts me "cheat 2" (not to be confused with "cheat 3").  It's bizarre - and setup so that I instantly fail the millisecond I try.

Oh well - guess it's only my copy of the game if nobody else has experienced this.  And like I said - moot since there's really no point to cheating as it isn't hard to win playing properly.  :shy:

Offline Roley

• Zombie Hooker Stole My Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 09:34:09 PM »
Yeah, really all cheating and playing poker in this game require is common sense. If you think you'll lose the hand because after the river the cards are [3â™ ],[4â™ ],[6â™ ],[7â™ ],[8â™ ] and your opponent just bet 200, you should probably fold unless you have a [5â™ ]. The good thing is, you don't need a poker face to play a game of poker in RDR.

Offline avgundara

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2010, 09:51:36 PM »
Quote from: 'JADO' pid='31789' dateline='1274206994'

You need to be wearing the elegant suit.When you choose the cheat option a bar appears in the top right corner and you have to keep the arrow balanced in the centre of the bar without going into the red for too long or else you will be accused of cheating.If you are found cheating you will have a duel on your hands.

What if you only have one guy left at the table how long until he gives up?

Offline Loboix

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2010, 02:10:21 AM »
Quote from: 'avgundara' pid='98413' dateline='1277776296'

You need to be wearing the elegant suit.When you choose the cheat option a bar appears in the top right corner and you have to keep the arrow balanced in the centre of the bar without going into the red for too long or else you will be accused of cheating.If you are found cheating you will have a duel on your hands.

What if you only have one guy left at the table how long until he gives up?

He wont give up. He will play until he has no chips left. Mostly, he will play very very defensively, so you can just more or less go all in all the time to steal the pot. I find thats the "fastest" way to get rid of the last person at the table.

Offline mikeharrison87

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2010, 02:40:34 AM »
Quote from: 'Curlin' pid='92706' dateline='1277334398'

Quote from: 'Loboix' pid='92323' dateline='1277316661'

Quote from: 'Curlin' pid='91218' dateline='1277252853'

Quote from: 'Loboix' pid='90009' dateline='1277211444'

Quote from: 'Curlin' pid='89230' dateline='1277152912'

Surprised I haven't seen anyone mention this before.  There's one element of "cheating" I both don't understand or seem to be able to pull off.

Okay - so I'm in my Elegant Suit and all ready to cheat. I go and sit down for a hand of poker.  First hand I'm dealing, and we all know to hit the button (for me it's triangle) to cheat and pull the card from the bottom of the deck.  The key, as many have stated, is to be gentle with the stick and keep it balanced. Voila - now I've got my "3rd card" stashed in my pocket...

What I don't get is what happens when I stop dealing.  Marston sits there, already with his 3rd card hidden and all other cards dealt, with his hand on the remaining deck as he puts it on the table.  Another "cheat" icon pops up.  The few times I've been brave enough to try again, within a milisecond I'm accused of cheating (seriously - it's so fast you basically can't react to it.).  Then of course you wind up in a duel.

So...anyone know what that "2nd round" of cheating is on the hands you've dealt (and to be clear, I'm talking AFTER you've already swiped the bottom card from the deck)?   What is that?  Seems glitchy and unnecessary to me but I was shocked nobody else that I saw/read had asked about it.  

One other question (and one that makes me feel newbish).  When you guys say "high stakes poker" - that's just the poker game outside of the salloon at Blackwater, right?  Or is there some other high stakes game I missed in my first play through?

The "2nd" part of cheating is when you swap the card you nicked from dealing with a card in your hand.

Say you got ace of spades from cheating when dealing...You now have that as a 3rd card. When its your turn to bet, you can swap the ace of spades from outside into your hand, replacing either of the 2 cards you were dealt.

To do this, you press triangle, and then left or right on the left stick (I think its the left one). Press left on the stick if you want to swap the ace for the left card, and press right to swap the right hand side card - easy peasy !

You now have the card you swapped out as a backup card

And for the record, this HAS been asked a few times, or at least once...I remember answering it :)

I appreciate your response, but that's not really what I'm asking.  I know you can swap the card you picked.  I do that all the time - what I'm talking about is specifically the prompt to cheat that appears while Marston has finished dealing - but has not yet looked at his own cards (indeed, he still has his hand on the deck on the table).

Maybe it's just me - but this action seems bugged.  

I've "cheated" and taken an extra card and "cheated" to swipe said card for another in my hand countless times.  It's this in-between cheat that I'm describing.

Just to be clear:
O
- Cheat 1:  While dealing, the player can pocket an extra card from the bottom of his deck - no problems here.

- Cheat 2:  When finished dealing (and after "cheat 1"), Marston, with his hand on the deck and unable to view his own cards yet - is prompted again to press triangle to cheat.  This is the action that seems bugged and has me confused.

- Cheat 3:  Take the card from "cheat 1" and swap for any card in your hand - no problems here either.

Hopefully that's more clear.  There's also an awkward delay during "cheat 2" where it seems the game is expecting me to cheat again.

In that case, I think its just a matter of the triangle is still there from "Cheat 1"...and in that case, there is no "Cheat 2"

There are 2 cheats. First, when you steal a card (CHeat 1) and second when you swap the stolen card in (Cheat 3). There is nothing you can do between those

It's probably a moot point, since I no longer cheat at poker ever - but in my game that's not correct.

I pull off "cheat 1" successfully - already have the card in my sleeve/pocket and am totally finished with "cheat 1" - and it still prompts me "cheat 2" (not to be confused with "cheat 3").  It's bizarre - and setup so that I instantly fail the millisecond I try.

Oh well - guess it's only my copy of the game if nobody else has experienced this.  And like I said - moot since there's really no point to cheating as it isn't hard to win playing properly.  :shy:

I get what your on about, the stage 2 cheat is if you don't like the card you stole. But it does state somewhere that if you cheat repeatedly you will get caught. I just skip that stage and go to stage 3.

Offline HIT_THE_TRAIL

• idk should say something here tho
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2010, 07:11:51 PM »
thanks to the guy who first explained just tap the stick. i have lost alot of money and fought alot of duels trying to figure it out on my own today. this is my 2nd play thru also. finally just gave up and came to see if cheatings actually even possible at poker. ive just been disarming everyone in a duel not killing, except one guy. regardless of what i do it hasnt affected my honor. i cant say for sure ive got a clean gun only shot tho.
just a typed sig...you dig...just words and stuff should be enough...dont need cool graphics at all. i think ill write a wall....of text. what should i say next? idk and idc not really trying to take this rhyme anywhere. i would post in the rap thread but if i do...nah no one cares only me. im the o

Offline Zackhill31905

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2010, 01:31:50 AM »
Quote from: 'HateTheVillain' pid='31855' dateline='1274208662'

ah thanks man, i knew it said something "elegant" lol.. i was thinking a suite as in a hotel room lol. suit makes more sense lol. much obliged.

Cheating also makes the High roller achievement way easyer

Offline spiritwolf1954

• have gun will travel [ paladin ]
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
    • http://spiritwolf1954chatan.friendhood.net
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2010, 10:19:17 AM »
Quote from: 'Cipher 8' pid='40097' dateline='1274537965'

I finally got the cheating system down and I have to say it makes poker that much more fun to sit and play.

I thought the arrow moved along the bar fast and I was always over compensating for this and pushing the arrow past the center and to the other side into the red, resulting in me being caught every time. That wasn't a problem because it helped me get better at duels at the time. You do lose your buy-in money though. Now I know that you barely gotta move the arrow, a little flick to get it in the center, then leave that analog stick alone! It will sit there in the middle, in the white, so don't go pushing it into the red like I did.

The actual cheating system is awesome. You don't just cheat one time and take a card from the bottom of the deck. You take that card out of the deck, and hide it in your sleeve or something, so you see that card and you can switch it with either of your two cards in your hand. Then anytime during the three phases; flop, turn, or river or during the the next hand the card you took out you can choose to switch again.

Here's an example:

You cheat successfully and take a card from the bottom of the Deck. It's a [3♣] Then each player is dealt their two private cards face down. Your hole cards, the two cards you were dealt, are [A♥] [7♦]. You decide you want to save that [A♥] for later because Ace Seven offsuit isn't really a good hand to play. So you press cheat then it asks you to move the left analog stick left or right to select which card you want to exchange for the [3♣]. You flick it to the left to exchange it for the ace and then you must successfully complete that cheating minigame again.

You do so now your hole cards are [3♣] [7♦]. You call or fold and play that hand out but then the next hand is dealt and it shows you that you got that [A♥] up your sleeve. So now each player is dealt their two private cards face down again. Your hole cards this hand are [2♠] [A♠]. So now what you want to do is cheat and exchange that [2♠] for the [A♥]. You click cheat and successful complete the minigame and now your hole cards are [A♥] [A♠]. Pocket Rockets! Your ready to take a American Airlines flight straight to Rich Town!

But the scenerio doesn't stop here. To help explain further say the Flop is dealt [2♥][10♣][2♦]. Now you want that two back to give you three of a kind. You can still cheat and exchange it back for one of the aces.

That's why the cheating system is so awesome. You can set yourself up for good hands. Basically playing with three cards is a huge advantage.

Hope this helped explained the cheating aspect to Poker. Now hurry up and go buy that elegant suit from the tailor in Thieves' Landing.
thanks for these tips, also can i ask how do you get a moving video like yours in your signature?? i have seen some awesome ones and don't know how to do it can you help me please?
[from a lady gamer :heart: ]
The wolf is neither mans competitor nor his enemy. He is a fellow creature with whom the earth must be shared.
~ L. David Mech

Offline topaz1008

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2010, 12:43:03 PM »
what sucks about cheating is the second u are caught u lose all the chips u earned so far. that really sucks and doesnt make cheating that usefull. btw the AI in the high stakes poker table seem to play better.
100% in Red Dead Redemption.
100% in Undead Nightmare.

Offline stqui

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2011, 12:32:57 AM »
Bwahaha, I just love to cheat at poker.
Sometimes it's even more fun to get caught and kill the whole table and play with the last guy sitting there lol.