Username: Password:

Author Topic: Obama says ''Games'' are distracting  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Brian7610

• (ノಥ益ಥ )
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mspointscodes.com/?i=200342
    • Awards
Obama says ''Games'' are distracting
« on: May 07, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »
http://www.redmondpie.com/president-obama-calls-ipad-ipod-and-xbox-a-source-of-distraction-9140746/

While addressing graduates at Hampton University on Sunday, US President Barack Obama in his speech said that the era of iPads, iPods, Xboxes and PlayStations are a source of distraction, rather than a tool of democracy for the United States. This statement of Obama, which was reported by AFP is as follows.

You’re coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don’t always rank all that high on the truth meter.

With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, — none of which I know how to work — information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation.

All of this is not only putting new pressures on you, it is putting new pressures on our country and on our democracy… We can’t stop these changes… but we can adapt to them,

Education… can fortify you, as it did earlier generations, to meet the tests of your own time.

So what do you think about this? Is the most social media savvy U.S. President (Obama) of all time right about all these gadgets making our problems worse?

Discuss

Offline Gav

• I wear your granddad's clothes.
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 1182
  • I look incredible.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
RE: Obama says ''Games'' are distracting
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 03:23:10 PM »
I don't know... I don't really understand what his point is. Video games were originally intended as a source of freedom or some government tool? Of course they're a distraction. A welcome distraction from the stresses of life, a chance to get away from it all for a bit. I again ask what the point he's trying to make actually is...

Offline N1C0l3

• Liked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »
ive heard the gamers can be good pilots, and the millitary uses some games as a training tool

Offline Brian7610

• (ノಥ益ಥ )
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mspointscodes.com/?i=200342
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 03:25:24 PM »
Quote from: 'Gav' pid='373435' dateline='1304796190'

I don't know... I don't really understand what his point is. Video games were originally intended as a source of freedom or some government tool? Of course they're a distraction. A welcome distraction from the stresses of life, a chance to get away from it all for a bit. I again ask what the point he's trying to make actually is...

I think hes trying to make a point that Video games might be ruining kid's brains, The education kids learn will all dissapear from their brains if they keep playing Video games, Obama probably wants to ban video games cause he thinks it'll ruin kid's lifes and their Education.
Imo its a bad idea, Then all kids will go mad and stop learning.

Obama only looks at the good side of things, never the bad parts, this is why all his Campaigns fail.

Offline Gav

• I wear your granddad's clothes.
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 1182
  • I look incredible.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 03:27:37 PM »
Half the history I know i've learnt from games and other forms of entertainment and i'm working at a GCSE B level in history (That's 2 levels above average and 2 below the top mark)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:28:07 PM by Gav »

Offline godzilliac

• Voodoo Baron
  • Liked: 100
    • View Profile
    • Renderosity.com
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 03:41:18 PM »
I wonder if he means that more kids fail at school because what should be a distraction is becoming a huge part of their life. It's like alcohol, it can be fun and recreational if used in moderation.

Offline CarntFace

• Rockstar
  • Liked: 216
  • "Let's Do It!"
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 04:10:58 PM »
Hello, my name is Zach: And I'm a game-oholic
It feels good getting that off my chest :bigcry:

I'm also worried about the children who think Call of Duty is an accurate depiction of history :(

Offline Hud

• Liked: 1066
  • I had fun once, before it was cool.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »
Quote from: 'godzilliac' pid='373448' dateline='1304797278'
I wonder if he means that more kids fail at school because what should be a distraction is becoming a huge part of their life. It's like alcohol, it can be fun and recreational if used in moderation.

I imagine this is the closest to the meaning in his speech.  While I hesitate to use the word "addiction", I'm aware of and have known many people who have failed courses or flat out dropped out of college because they were too preoccupied with PC and console gaming.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:03:41 PM by hudweiser »

Offline DethPimp

• Mad Men
  • Liked: 1394
  • I am Mad as Hell!
  • Awards Best Writer 2014 Best writer Best moderator Awarded to the user voted Best Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 07:03:43 AM »
I have been teaching art  and film history to games design students for the last year and a half. It really isn't easy to get them to reflect on anything for very long.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:40:35 AM by OldBill »

Offline The Podmeister

• President of Mad Men
  • Mad Men
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 07:32:25 AM »
Maybe people just need something to do other than worry about how shitty the state of the world has gotten. Perhaps politicians should shut up about how we spend our time when not earning money to pay our taxes, I suppose he's going to start picking on people who read fictional novels next, or go fishing, or play sports. I'll spend my free time however the f*ck I like thanks Mr. President.

Offline SHARKEM

• Stoned
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 09:58:18 AM »
Quote from: 'Marlowe' pid='373475' dateline='1304799058'
Hello, my name is Zach: And I'm a game-oholic
It feels good getting that off my chest :bigcry:

I'm also worried about the children who think Call of Duty is an accurate depiction of history :(

well said. if your talking about black ops it really tries to paint kennedy in a bad light with regards to op40. and nearly all of those dudes were anti castro cubans who are implicated in the jfk assassination. the truth of that whole shitstorm would have made a much better game.

sig space donated to needy gif artists

Offline outlawfisherman

• TWO
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 2786
  • Awards Most Helpful 2014 Best Mod 2014 XBOX Online Pro
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 11:06:25 AM »
It's a matter of parenting and self control. Yeah it can be a distraction, positively and negatively. But it is also a valuable tool with an infinite source of knowledge at our fingertips.

Offline pablomcquy

• bobing94
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »
Of course it's distracting, they're a game, should they be boring?. The rest, as the person above me said, is about self control.

Offline PredawnDwarf

• AftertwilightMidget
  • Liked: 3
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 02:28:27 PM »
I wonder when they start taxing gaming

Offline Adam

• SrsBsnsManager
  • Liked: 150
  • Can't bust the Rust
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 07:07:09 PM »
If they did, I'm sure us gamers wouldn't approve.

Offline Waldo Jeffers

• Has reached his limit.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 07:15:18 PM »
I'd answer this, get a job, do more with my life if i didn't have GT5 to finish. What was the question anways?
[align=center][/align]

Offline ethios4

• Liked: 5
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »
Wow, I'm surprised he would say that.  I happen to agree  The problem as I see it is that our culture has become incredibly self-centered and hedonistic.  Not hedonistic in the orgy sense of the word, but in the pleasure-driven sense of the word.  Most everyone has a huge sense of entitlement and "having fun" has become the highest goal for many.

Wow, I bet conspiracy oriented people would be freaking out to here this statement though. "information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation."

I don't think the problem is the amount or quality of information, it is a public that has not been educated to think critically about information, and that lack of education is by design.
GT:sticky pads
music I make:
Proprietors of the Earth
ethios4

Offline Hud

• Liked: 1066
  • I had fun once, before it was cool.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 10:02:19 AM »
Quote from: 'ethios4' pid='375158' dateline='1304948681'

Wow, I'm surprised he would say that.  I happen to agree  The problem as I see it is that our culture has become incredibly self-centered and hedonistic.  Not hedonistic in the orgy sense of the word, but in the pleasure-driven sense of the word.  Most everyone has a huge sense of entitlement and "having fun" has become the highest goal for many.

Wow, I bet conspiracy oriented people would be freaking out to here this statement though. "information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation."

I don't think the problem is the amount or quality of information, it is a public that has not been educated to think critically about information, and that lack of education is by design.

I had a class in high school, it was one of my English Labs where the goal was critical thinking.  We would disseminate a few sources of information then write up our own opinion on the matter.  I greatly enjoyed it and it gave me some useful tools to form my own opinions in life.  I have asked my younger sister (who is a junior in high school) if she has any classes similar to that one, she does not.

The school she goes to is bigger and well funded compared to the one I attended, so I expected that perhaps there would be more open electives to take during the school year.  Suffice to say there seem to be a dwindling number of these enriching classes that one can choose to take.

Offline ethios4

• Liked: 5
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 10:09:33 AM »
Yea that would be a good start.  I had a critical thinking class in college.  It was mostly just learning lists of logical fallacies and such.  Where it really gets interesting is analyzing current news stories, corporate propaganda, and especially conspiracy theory stuff.  Those are a treasure trove of fallacies, poor logic, terrible sources, etc.

That reminds me:  I just read this fantastic article by Noam Chomsky (I am by no means a Chomsky devotee)
http://www.chomsky.info/articles/199710--.htm
GT:sticky pads
music I make:
Proprietors of the Earth
ethios4

Offline Cactus

• Orly?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 04:16:29 PM »
People are hating school because they've screwed up the focus. Most occupations, save for Engineer-based fields (which, while definitely a major section of occupations, isn't the majority), don't use much algebra or calculus. Despite that, though, mathematics are the main focus in schools by far, followed by language arts- and, rather than focusing on teach kids the difference between there, their and they're, like most kids seem to learn to identify, they're focusing on diagramming a sentence. I understand these help to a degree- but, really, it's mostly worthless. I'd say more effort should be put on making kids think and become interested in a subject; kids simply hate school nearly unanimously now because of the fact that it's been made so screwed up. Kids aren't going to use most of the algebra they learn, but if they develop, being given skills such as critical thinking and debating, they may at least get a job instead of dropping out of high school because they didn't see the point in calculus which took up 90% of their focus.

[align=right](Crucifies my enemies)

PSN: M210F[/align]