Username: Password:

Author Topic: Whatd you think of LA Noire?  (Read 5033 times)

Offline sF Fizzy

• Doo doo doo-doo doo-doo doo doooooo doooooo doo-doo-doo-doooooo doo-doo-doodoo-doo-doo...
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
RE: Whatd you think of LA Noire?
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »
Dude, R* didn't make this game, Australian developer Team Bondi did. Rockstar published it, which means they boxed it up made the commercials and put it's name out there for everyone to see.

As for the game itself (SPOILER ALERT), I found it horrendously repetitive and lacking. It's a great start for this type of game but one that did not cut it for me. Phelps was annoying as shit with his impractical sense of morality, and his character could have been more fleshed out. No reason is given as to why he cheated on his wife, he just does. More thought could have gone into his home life to give us insight regarding some of the actions he takes, but they failed in that respect. His death too was completely... like really? I KNOW THIS IS A NOIRE STYLE VIDEOGAME, AND THE HERO USUALLY DIES AT THE END but the way they paced it seemed like a slap in the face, at the last possible second in the game he just, randomly dies? Like what the fuck.

The game was too repetitive as well. There could have been much ore variety in the homicide department, but they just HAD to make it be a serial killer. Because of that, every fucking case looked the same and by the third time around I already knew "yeah I bet she's naked, and her ring and other personal items are missing". They could have thrown in more homicide cases that were unique and unrelated the the serial murderers. Basically the game plays like this: Go to crime scene, investigate, go to a bar, chase some guy down, watch for their very BLATANT facial expressions (half the people if they were lying practically chewed their lips off), go to some other place, solve case. And don't even get me started on investigating. All you had to do was walk over every square inch of the place and wait for a controller vibration. It was just a bit too artificial.

It was an ambitious project and one that might prove very influential down the road but it was just not very good for me.

/end rant

Offline Eff One

• Some Aussie dude.
  • Liked: 2
  • And that's FULL TRUTH!
    • View Profile
    • FULL TRUTH Motorsport Forums
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 09:15:05 PM »
Quote from: 'LetsGoIndyBaby' pid='411529' dateline='1308604232'

Dude, R* didn't make this game, Australian developer Team Bondi did. Rockstar published it, which means they boxed it up made the commercials and put it's name out there for everyone to see.

It was developed by Team Bondi in conjunction with Rockstar and regardless, it's still a Rockstar game. That was my point: Because it's a Rockstar game, it's expected to be similar to RDR/GTA.

X-Box live gamertag and PSN ID: EffOne2008. Feel free to add. Or not.... :D

Offline bushidoforgotten

• Vigilante
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2011, 10:29:46 PM »
Show content for Hiden:
His death too was completely... like really? I KNOW THIS IS A NOIRE STYLE VIDEOGAME, AND THE HERO USUALLY DIES AT THE END but the way they paced it seemed like a slap in the face, at the last possible second in the game he just, randomly dies? Like what the fuck.
/end rant

I disagree here.  I thought the writing was good and that the ending was the only appropriate one in order for the character to have some sort of redemption.  Cole Phelps was a terribly flawed character, which was a refreshing change of pace from the cliche tough guy hero thing.  He was, at times, hard to like and understand.  His take on morality was often puzzling, his soldiers hated him, he was ambitious at the cost of others, he committed a terrible war crime, and his biggest rival was arguably more of a hero - all of this and Cole still had a superiority complex.  Despite his many flaws, however, in the end Cole grew as a character and finally earned the Silver Star that he never earned in combat.  We can debate gameplay, but I think they got the ending right at a minimum.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:30:25 PM by bushidoforgotten »

Offline Orchid

• Preserving the world\'s reserve of x\'s
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2011, 04:15:41 AM »
At last, I own the game! Sayonara reddead.net, see you in a day or two!

Offline sF Fizzy

• Doo doo doo-doo doo-doo doo doooooo doooooo doo-doo-doo-doooooo doo-doo-doodoo-doo-doo...
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2011, 01:21:10 PM »
Quote from: 'bushidoforgotten' pid='411754' dateline='1308623386'
Show content for Hiden:
His death too was completely... like really? I KNOW THIS IS A NOIRE STYLE VIDEOGAME, AND THE HERO USUALLY DIES AT THE END but the way they paced it seemed like a slap in the face, at the last possible second in the game he just, randomly dies? Like what the fuck.
/end rant

I disagree here.  I thought the writing was good and that the ending was the only appropriate one in order for the character to have some sort of redemption.  Cole Phelps was a terribly flawed character, which was a refreshing change of pace from the cliche tough guy hero thing.  He was, at times, hard to like and understand.  His take on morality was often puzzling, his soldiers hated him, he was ambitious at the cost of others, he committed a terrible war crime, and his biggest rival was arguably more of a hero - all of this and Cole still had a superiority complex.  Despite his many flaws, however, in the end Cole grew as a character and finally earned the Silver Star that he never earned in combat.  We can debate gameplay, but I think they got the ending right at a minimum.

Show content for Hiden:
I do indeed agree with you that death was the right choice for him but there was absolutely no build up no nothing it really seems that two weeks before release Bondi was like, "Oh hey guys lets add a quick cutscene where Phelps dies!" Like it was quite terrible pacing. It was in fact sad seeing the funeral for me but some proper build up and all those other little things could have changed it dramatically.

Offline Cactus

• Orly?
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2011, 02:09:13 PM »
Quote from: 'LetsGoIndyBaby' pid='412209' dateline='1308676870'
Show content for Hiden:
/end rant

Show content for Hiden:
I do indeed agree with you that death was the right choice for him but there was absolutely no build up no nothing it really seems that two weeks before release Bondi was like, "Oh hey guys lets add a quick cutscene where Phelps dies!" Like it was quite terrible pacing. It was in fact sad seeing the funeral for me but some proper build up and all those other little things could have changed it dramatically.
Show content for Hiden:
The ending was pretty lackluster. When he cheated on his wife, I was all like "Wait, what? He speaks to this woman for a total of ten, fifteen minutes and decides to have an affair with her?". After that I just felt the game felt a little- I dunno- unmotivated. Cole became an entirely unlikable character after that. Sure, there were two great shootouts at the end- at the mansion and in the sewers- but arson was just so unenjoyable.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:10:05 PM by Cactus »

[align=right](Crucifies my enemies)

PSN: M210F[/align]

Offline Brian7610

• (ノಥ益ಥ )
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mspointscodes.com/?i=200342
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2011, 11:11:04 PM »
Quote from: 'Cactus' pid='412261' dateline='1308679753'

Show content for Hiden:

/end rant

Show content for Hiden:

Show content for Hiden:
The ending was pretty lackluster. When he cheated on his wife, I was all like "Wait, what? He speaks to this woman for a total of ten, fifteen minutes and decides to have an affair with her?". After that I just felt the game felt a little- I dunno- unmotivated. Cole became an entirely unlikable character after that. Sure, there were two great shootouts at the end- at the mansion and in the sewers- but arson was just so unenjoyable.

Show content for Hiden:
After finishing the last mission, (where phelps dies) who do you play at the end? does it let you free roam after and do you still play phelps?

Offline sF Fizzy

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 02:24:38 AM »
Quote from: 'Brian7610' pid='412643' dateline='1308712264'
Show content for Hiden:
/end rant

Show content for Hiden:
Show content for Hiden:

Show content for Hiden:
After finishing the last mission, (where phelps dies) who do you play at the end? does it let you free roam after and do you still play phelps?

Show content for Hiden:
You play as your partner and yes youre spit out in free roam.
PS lets keep the spoiler train a chuggin!

Offline Brian7610

• (ノಥ益ಥ )
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2011, 09:13:04 PM »
Quote from: 'LetsGoIndyBaby' pid='412715' dateline='1308723878'
Quote from: 'Brian7610' pid='412643' dateline='1308712264'
Show content for Hiden:
/end rant

Show content for Hiden:
Show content for Hiden:

Show content for Hiden:

Show content for Hiden:
You play as your partner and yes youre spit out in free roam.
PS lets keep the spoiler train a chuggin!

Show content for Hiden:
Im gonna try to rent this game
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 09:14:37 PM by Brian7610 »

Offline Gringo666

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2011, 03:40:35 AM »
Well I think it's a wonderful piece of gaming art. The first game I've ever completed to 100% actually.

The lack of "sandbox" doesn't bother me and this coming from someone who has spent over 12 years as a  GTA fan. While some extra things wouldn't have hurt the game obviously it doesn't detract that much from it.

Once "Reefer Madness" comes out I play it individually and replay the entire story with all the available DLC cases.

I look at this game kind of like one of those movies you watch over and over again even though you know every single key plot point.

It's not perfect, but just like when GTA IV came out I think people criticize too harshly based on a false perception. The game was never marketed as a "do whatever the hell you want" sandbox game.

If it was I could understand, but that "Rockstar Games Presents...." on the cover proved that some people are simply naive. Even the most hardcore R* fan would know that R* have made other types of games before. Was Manhunt and The Warriors crap, because they didn't allow you to wander off? No.

I agree that there are some parts that get repetitive, but what game doesn't?

Anyway it's not leaving my collection any time soon. It's a shame that some can't appreciate it for what it is, but unfortunately it's their loss.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:45:39 AM by Gringo666 »

Offline CartoonLyon

• Slighty aggy voice of reason
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
oh god, have they stolen the plot for reefer madness?
DEVOUR PUNY INSECT

Offline Cactus

• Orly?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2011, 12:08:51 PM »
I personally felt it was great, and blended gameplay into the story and movies well. However, at the end the story just felt rushed- why did Cole do what he did to get himself in Arson? I still don't understand that. And the ending felt rushed. On top of that, I just lost whatever sympathy for Cole I had after the plot twist after Vice and started to feel like I was drudging along to finish the game, not for fun. But then, there were these great set pieces for the end of the game that they used beautifully- the last mission was brilliant up until the very end. Still, I would recommend this game to people, but probably as more of a rental.

[align=right](Crucifies my enemies)

PSN: M210F[/align]

Offline DeathWishDamo

• Herbalist
  • Liked: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2011, 11:12:05 AM »
I've spent about 2hrs playing this game now and I must say I like it!  A refreshing change.  The gameplay reminds me of an old game called 'where in the world is carmen san diago' where you had to ask questions and find clues to figure out where in the world she went next.
The map seems huge for a single city! Its very neat and I haven't come across any glitches but time will tell.
out of 10 I'd say 8/10.  People just need to be prepared to be a law abiding detective.  Good game.
"Im just chewing the dog mister. I dont mean nothing by it."

Offline Rotting

• Drop the bomb, exterminate them all!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »
It was a decent game. I don't think it lived up to its potential however. The cases and street crimes became repetitive and dull over time and the ending was lackluster, to say the least. They could have incorporated multiplayer into the game as well. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the new facial technologies and the atmosphere of 1940s Los Angeles.

Offline CartoonLyon

• Slighty aggy voice of reason
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2011, 10:48:03 PM »
Quote from: 'Rotting' pid='416334' dateline='1309105347'

They could have incorporated multiplayer into the game as well.

How? What would you have expected to do? Wonder about analley in the dark with your mates? :huh:
DEVOUR PUNY INSECT

Offline Rotting

• Drop the bomb, exterminate them all!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2011, 10:53:18 PM »
Quote from: 'CartoonLyon' pid='416713' dateline='1309142883'

Quote from: 'Rotting' pid='416334' dateline='1309105347'

They could have incorporated multiplayer into the game as well.

How? What would you have expected to do? Wonder about analley in the dark with your mates? :huh:

If they could do it with Grand Theft Auto IV and Red Dead Redemption, I'm sure they could have found a way to implement it in L.A. Noire.

Offline Gringo666

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2011, 12:58:54 AM »
Co op cases? Basically you and a friend do cases together like in SP. You can both gather clues at crime scenes, take turns questioning suspects and one drives while the other shoots depending on the situation. Then of course there are shootouts too.

However I don't think I would've liked any sort of "deathmatch" like GTA IV or RDR. I think multiplayer could've worked, but not as freely as GTA IV and RDR.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:59:55 AM by Gringo666 »

Offline Brian7610

• (ノಥ益ಥ )
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2011, 02:13:47 PM »
Quote from: 'Gringo666' pid='416769' dateline='1309150734'

Co op cases? Basically you and a friend do cases together like in SP. You can both gather clues at crime scenes, take turns questioning suspects and one drives while the other shoots depending on the situation. Then of course there are shootouts too.

However I don't think I would've liked any sort of "deathmatch" like GTA IV or RDR. I think multiplayer could've worked, but not as freely as GTA IV and RDR.

THATS WHAT I SAID TO EVERYONE RIGHT WHEN L.A NOIRE'S RELEASE DATE WAS TOLD!

Offline Leigh

• Support
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2011, 03:33:47 PM »
l.a noire is so false and homosexual.

Offline DeathWishDamo

• Herbalist
  • Liked: 9
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2011, 03:42:56 PM »
Lol, that's what the founder of this thread said!  In his own words.  :-)
"Im just chewing the dog mister. I dont mean nothing by it."