Username: Password:

Author Topic: Newby Intro...from an "old guy" who still likes gaming  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Duranis81

• Liked: 14
  • "Guess you picked the wrong day to be a bad guy.."
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Newby Intro...from an "old guy" who still likes gaming
« on: May 28, 2012, 10:22:58 PM »
Hello to all in the wild west!

I am using the XBox 360 console, and heard of this site through doing a search on RDR multiplayer notes.  I am a bit of a rarity, since I am in my late 40's.  I still love the fantasy and challenge of thinking tactically, so sports and FPS games are my faves.  I love the RDR game, and am hooked on RockStar games in general after trying out L.A. Noire, and then Red Dead Redemption (on suggestion by a local game store associate).  I am not new to video gaming, being from way back in the olden days of serial cables and 4 computers on the living room floor playing Doom.

Present day though, I rarely have had a chance to play with or against anyone.  (I am a husband, disabled veteran of Desert Storm, and a stay-at-home Dad to a seven year old with her own set of challenges.)  I completed the single player version of the game a few weeks ago.  I then dipped my toe for the first time really, into playing online multiplayer mode perhaps 2 weeks ago.  Obviously, a huge difference to solo play.  Opens the game up immensely, too.  Nothing new to all of you. 

I am trying to get better and increase my ranking in RDR, but having some difficulty.  First off, the majority of the players I have encountered online in my experience so far, are: 1.) clearly teen to pre-teens (based upon their gamer names and the high pitched voices on the headset; and 2.) not trustworthy in terms of posse loyalty at all.  That comes with the territory I guess.  (Pun intended.)  Love the mouths on the headset, too.

I'd love to hear from older gamers that want to play to have fun, and not just to be brutal, disloyal liars and totally self-serving.  (i.e. finishing up 99% of a hideout mission, to have someone skip in and kill the last bad guy; or accepting a posse invite, helping someone clear out a hideout and having them casually turn to me and shoot me, and my horse.  That's just me though.  A Dinosaur.  Trying to play it as I would myself, with some integrity and honesty.  Yeh, I'm "wasting my time" with that, I'm sure.  Good luck with that, old man.  Even in "Friendly" mode (which I don't even  bother with), you get knifed and your horses get killed by other players.  Can someone tell me why so many people shoot their own horses too by the way???

I am sure that many who even bother to read this are thinking I have no place in "their world" anyway.  And, it is kind of weird being in a posse with a pre-teen  getting scolded in the background by their mother, and hearing them (with their headset mic open mind you) whine and beg in an even higher-pitched voice to get more time online before being sent to bed anyway!  There are (as I prefaced before, "in my experience so far") a very few exceptions to that scene kind of though.  Very refreshing to have someone actually stopping to help you out with gathering a new weapon or to have them tell you to "kill them" to get the bounty and therefore more XP's.  (Young C3na is a great player and a pretty cool guy.) 

In closing, I don't expect to have hand-holding in the multi-player world, but it's nice to know there are a few people who actually care a little about other people enjoying the game, too.  Without cheats, mods and betrayal being the cornerstones to fun.  It just makes for more interesting and diverse people to play with/against down the road.  I'd like to hear from other parents and "oldies" who might feel some of the same things and perhaps would like to form friendships and a potential posse or two down the dusty road!

Keeping in mind that I just started playing online multi=player ANYTHING two weeks ago

Offline xChaos Reigns

• Standard Member
  • Liked: 423
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Newby Intro...from an "old guy" who still likes gaming
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 10:30:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum :) I'm only 18 but I agree with what you say about the annoying teens and preteens. Its nice to see more older people such as yourself getting into online gaming. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM and I'll try to help you out. But if you'd rather receive help from other oldies that's fine :)
Mod note: Signature removed for continuous rule breach

Offline Duranis81

• Liked: 14
  • "Guess you picked the wrong day to be a bad guy.."
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 11:06:05 PM »
Hey xChaos Reigns,

I appreciate your reading my intro and taking the time to reply.  Thanks.  I may well look you up with some questions!  I'm fine with getting tips from anyone who wants to do so.  Thanks for the offer, and I'll look for you in Free Roam!

Richard

Welcome to the forum :) I'm only 18 but I agree with what you say about the annoying teens and preteens. Its nice to see more older people such as yourself getting into online gaming. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM and I'll try to help you out. But if you'd rather receive help from other oldies that's fine :)

Offline rhikdavis

• Liked: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »
Hehe, Duranis, your post made me laugh because I just started last Christmas...and I'm a doddering 49.   I know what you mean about 'socializing' with kids younger than my own, with parents younger than me too in most instances. 

Just a couple weeks ago I received my first hate voicemail on xbox live...(which I saved for posterity and intend to post here soon)...I forget what my perceived offense was.  Maybe my use of casual targeting?  Which alot of people find insulting when it gets used against them for some reason...why they won't go to hardcore mode I do not know.

I'd be glad to ride with you against those young whippersnappers.

And thank you for your service to this great nation.

Offline TWO Many Skillz

• Original Founder of TWO
  • TWO
  • Liked: 1960
  • Awards Best Posse Leader 2014 Best posse leader
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:54:29 PM »
this made me laugh... If you were mature creepy you wouldn't be acting the way you have been lately

#TeamOasis

Offline xChaos Reigns

• Standard Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:51:13 PM »
Ignore the troll folks, someone left the gate open at school.

Offline TWO Many Skillz

• TWO
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 10:26:50 PM »
Ignore the troll folks, someone left the gate open at school.
That's cause you forgot to close them after you took naked pictures of all the 14 year olds for your sig. You act like you're more mature than me but you're only a year older and you like a post where I stated that I had been jumped, beaten unconscious and later shot at. I hope you come to America cause I'd love to pay you a visit man. You're a piece of shit that doesn't leave his room all day and bitch and moan about not being the best at VIDEO GAMESx get something else in your life like a girl your age perhaps, one that you don't have to pay for a one night stand.

On topic, welcome to the forums dude, stay away from the child lover

#TeamOasis

Offline Nugget

• LORD - Legends of Red Dead
  • Liked: 572
  • I <3 Penis
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 10:44:06 PM »
Why start this shit Skills? Your like the epitome of a hippocrite. You tell people not to troll you when you come into a random thread to troll somebody else.

Offline TWO Many Skillz

• TWO
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 10:48:52 PM »
http://www.reddead.net/forums/index.php/topic,28417.msg590718.html#msg590718
That's why. No matter how much I don't care for you Nugget I'm not gonna like a post where you say you've been jumped, beaten unconscious and shot at. If you can honestly tell me that's alright then fine.

#TeamOasis

Offline xChaos Reigns

• Standard Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 10:50:45 PM »

Offline Nugget

• LORD - Legends of Red Dead
  • Liked: 572
  • I <3 Penis
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 10:56:16 PM »
I agree that that's pretty fucked up but no need to hijack an intro thread. Ignore him or something.

Offline Registration

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 2022
  • Awards Worst username
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 09:30:30 AM »
Ye, even though I dislike him also, leave this thread alone , take it to pm's(if he hasn't blocked you). It's not a good welcome to someone.

Welcome to the forums :)

Offline Casteyn

• Out of hibernation
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 4710
  • I deal in lead
  • Awards Most respected member Most helpful member Most Respected 2014
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »
Gee guys, way to make Duranis want to hang around!

Welcome Duranis! I'm pushing 42 and female! How's that for a rare gamer? I completely understand where you are coming from and I was so intimidated when I started playin this game that I ended up joining a gang of great people! The RRR helped me learn how to play and have fun without all the hate bullshit that comes with multiplayer. I've been playing Max Payne 3 lately, but will always go back to the plains for some wild west fun! If ya see me out there, hit me up! My gamertag is the same as my username here. Your bound to meet some really cool people here that would be glad to help you out on the prairie :)

I don't like when people shoot my horse either :)

Offline TWO iRiShHiPpY

• wo0t
  • TWO
  • Liked: 324
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Welcome to the forums.... Mwuhahahaha

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny7uGEPgoXk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny7uGEPgoXk</a>
ZEPPELIN RULES

Offline clarkscowbysTWO

• Loyalty is important to me
  • TWO
  • Liked: 945
  • The World is Ours
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 01:58:38 PM »
Yeah welcome to the forums. I'm pushing 40, so it's nice to play with people that are older than me. As long as your not from Ohio, you are cool in my book.

Offline ADONYS

• Liked: 698
  • Best RB Camper EVER
  • Awards Biggest drama queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 06:41:10 PM »
Old farts, shouldn't you all be playing dominos with a horlicks at your ages?

Offline Mrs Marston

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 1375
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 09:52:48 PM »
Welcome Duranis! Glad to hear from another young-at-heart player! I am in the 40-something age group as well.  I only started playing about 5 months ago. Finished single player about 2 months ago. I am at level 50...thinking about going legend...but, don't want to give up my guns. LOL! I am not a totally serious player...but, I can be at times. I like to have fun, too. Everything is still quite new to me.  Starting to get into gang matches and free for all's...but, I think I would have more fun playing with some people from this board.  Hey, maybe some of us can get an old farts' posse together. LOL!  I know what you mean about finding people to trust...I don't have a mic, so that makes it more difficult.

I play just about every day....my GT is meleana66 on Xbox.

Offline Kingcgc

• Loyalty Beyond Death
  • Liked: 48
  • Stercus Accidit
    • View Profile
    • TRT Site
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 05:52:42 PM »
Welcome Duranis, hope to you see around on the forums.

Offline rhikdavis

• Liked: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 09:07:26 AM »
Old farts, shouldn't you all be playing dominos with a horlicks at your ages?

Would definitely save alot of dying on your part...

Offline JamieGreat360

• Delivery boy.2
  • Rockstar Gamers
  • Liked: 479
  • Beepp, Teigen. Beepp
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »
WELCOME MY FREIND! (We're friends now! Because I said so)

I'll be 40.... in 20 years time! :) Just had to put that out there.

Sorry your intro got a little hijacked. Have 2 mops instead. Ain't I LOVELY!?

*Hands two free mops*

Thanks Kazzy mate!!!!