Username: Password:

Author Topic: Open Mic Night  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Valjean

• TWO
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 2457
  • Writing names on my hollowtips
  • Awards Best admin Best Admin 2014 Most Like John Marston
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Open Mic Night
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:04:38 AM »
This is something I do on another forum I founded, and since the staff just did it again with good results recently thought we should try it here and see if its worth doing more than once.

Here's the quick gist:
Send me a PM (i.e. don't post it in here) with a suggestion of something you'd like to see on the site.
I'll compile all the PMs and repost them here in a list along with posting them in the staff area for us to discuss.
I'll cut it off after a few days, in this case Wednesday for this time.
No ideas will be excluded, but if we get the same idea from 2 or more people I'll paraphrase / combine it to 1 item on the list
After a week or so (or after all the staff have had a chance to think about it) I'll repost which of those ideas we feel we can do something about.

The constraints are:
You can only make 1 suggestion so use it wisely
Suggestions should be things that will improve the overall site so recruit more new users, make it more fun, keep you existing users interested in coming here more often, fix something broken, how things are arranged, etc.
This is meant to be for ideas that will make the forum better not complaints, and isn't meant to be a critique on forum moderation areas.
Of course we all realize there are some things that can only be worded as a complaint like supposing yours was "the search function doesn't work right," but where possible please make it a suggestion instead. 
This is for improvements you'd like to see to the overall forum experience not individual user or thread related issues.  So all those thoughts you've had in the past like "I wish we'd do X" or "wish we wouldn't do Y"

Example:
Mine will be (since people tend to forget staff are also users of the site): the Politics/Religion area needs different rules than the rest of the forum for how people address each other.  Its a more sensitive type topic, and feathers tend to get ruffled too easily.  So the type of speech that's acceptable elsewhere on the forum should be curtailed to be more restrictive on the side of more rules of politeness in there so everyone has a pleasant experience.  We should find a user or 2 interested in that area who'd be willing to write the area rules for everyone.

Ok, I'm hoping we get some participation in this which is why I waited until today to post it since Monday & Tuesday are our biggest activity days here.  If participation is just a few people I'll still go forward with it this time, but probably won't do it again.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:06:18 AM by Valjean »

Offline Valjean

• TWO
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Open Mic Night
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 04:53:50 PM »

Offline Ucah8er

• Won't let the sun go down on me
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 2555
  • Awards Awarded to the user voted to have made the Best musical contribution Best Signature 2014 Meme King 2014
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 01:12:11 AM »
wow, those are some excellent suggestions right there, well thought out!

Offline Valjean

• TWO
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 07:22:43 AM »
They're from members.  Also there are a half dozen member suggestions i didn't post, but if you don't see yours i did post them all in the staff area.  Suggestions that pertained to areas i said this want really about like individual threads, etc  (mainly not suggestions relating to the forum overall) i did share with the staff but am not reposting here.

Offline Valjean

• TWO
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 08:56:29 AM »
Trying starting today.Done.One already exists.  While not a "post of the year" title per se we can rename it if you guys want to use it as that.  http://www.reddead.net/forums/index.php/topic,16958.0.htmlWe're going to leave all the existing areas in the order they're in so people don't become confused when they go to look for past posts they've made.We disagree.

Offline Valjean

• TWO
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 12:36:49 PM »
Thought we'd try this again.  Shoot me a PM with anything you guys want / need, etc and I'll package any or all suggestions up in a tidy list for the staff to debate.

Yes Ferguson, even you.

Offline Legion

• Gator
  • TWO
  • Liked: 3074
  • Awards Funniest member Biggest spammer Awarded to the user voted as the Most likely to flee to Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 04:04:01 PM »
Yes Ferguson, even you.

Goddamn it.

Offline ADONYS

• Liked: 698
  • Best RB Camper EVER
  • Awards Biggest drama queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards