Username: Password:

Author Topic: Best Player Awards  (Read 1780 times)

Offline DethPimp

• Liked: 1391
  • Awards Best Writer 2014 Best moderator Best writer Awarded to the user voted Best Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Best Player Awards
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:55:59 PM »
I would consider dropping them.

All the other awards pertain to activity on the forum, so a vote by forum members is valid.

But the  best player award is different. Think of how much friction is caused by 'best' threads here (not to mention most of us decided it can't be decided ages ago).

Plus, how are players of one console suppose to know anything about players on another?

Or players in different timezones who never meet in-game?

Or members who don 't even play RDR any more (of which there are many).

There 's a good case for scrapping it. Thank you.

Offline DethPimp

• Awards Best Writer 2014 Best moderator Best writer Awarded to the user voted Best Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Best Player Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23:42 PM »
or whatever they are called ???

Offline Casteyn

• Administrator
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 4679
  • I deal in lead
  • Awards Most helpful member Most respected member Most Missed Member 2014
    • View Profile
    • http://www.clmphotography.net
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 03:35:20 PM »
Well, any "best" category can cause friction, but it's just a fun awards, a way to generate traffic and interact.

We actually do have two categories, one for XBox and one for PS3. This award is geared toward the members here, a lot of us game together, so I would say this award is asking - "Out of all the forum members you play with, who do you think is an online professional?" I don't necessarily consider that it must be the best player, I feel it's how good they are, yes, but also their online demeanor, etc. It also doesn't necessarily have to be RDR that they judge it upon either. There are lots of games forum members are playing together.

Yes, there are time zone issues. This may change who plays with who regularly. Yes, people will vote for their friends. But, everyone gets a chance to nominate and vote.

Really, the bottom line is this is supposed to be a fun thing for us to share. It shouldn't be so negative. It's meant to be a positive thing to cheer on your friends and fellow forum members. :)

Offline DethPimp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »
I fully agree it should be fun. Please don't think I'm bitching or jumping a bandwagon Casteyn, I've thought this for a long time.

Yes, there are different awards for each console, but unless I'm wrong, members can vote for both.

All I'm saying is that these awards tend to cause friction and even leave the winner uncomfortable (see Craigy's embarrassment) because they ask forum members to decide something which they often have no basis to decide.

So, it ends up ruining the fun of the other awards. The very question of who is best in-game has always brought out the worst in people on this forum.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone about the recent round of awards (I didn 't think of it when I was a mod myself, after all), just suggesting that these particular awards may not be the best idea.

Offline Casteyn

• Administrator
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 4679
  • I deal in lead
  • Awards Most helpful member Most respected member Most Missed Member 2014
    • View Profile
    • http://www.clmphotography.net
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »
I understand what you are saying. There usually is friction when it comes to who the best player is, it's started flame wars on here before. I'm just trying to explain that there is basis in fact for them to decide who to vote for as they do actually play with these people.

Craigy used to play regularly on PS3, people remember him on there and voted. It may have been back in the day, but they thought of him for a reason. Plus, as you stated, it's been a while since playing RDR for a lot of the members, so they may be thinking it's based on RDR gameplay when it's really just the experience you had in any game with a fellow forum member.

We never had this problem in the last two awards and that may be due to the fact that a lot are not playing RDR anymore and may not understand that they can nominate based on any gaming interactions they may have had with the members of the forum. This particular award never took the fun away from the awards before.

Offline convex airplane

• TWO
  • Liked: 3924
  • Awards Hash Tag King 2014 Most likely to flee to Mexico Biggest Perv 2014
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »
I don't know why people are making a big deal out of the "Craigy Best PSN" deal...

Majority rules, always has in the awards, I don't care who thinks they are better than Craigy, the people say he is, so according to the rules Craigy is the Best...

Besides, the "Best Player" awards have been around since RedDead.net (Or whatever it's called now) was founded. It would be unfair to get rid of the awards no, people against the "Best Player" awards should have spoken up earlier...

Offline DethPimp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »
Convex, I'm not making a big deal about who won, I'm just questioning the wisdom of hsving that category at all. It is completely unlike the rest and doesn't really make a lot of sense, IMO.

Casteyn, my memory is that there has been some tension/embarrassment in the previous two years. Not on the same scale, though.

Anyway. said my piece and I still think I'm correct. But it's up to you guys to decide. Thanks for listening 8)

Offline booshthelurker

• Muckraker
  • D WILD BUNCH
  • Liked: 483
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 04:27:58 PM »
Personally I don't care who won. If I recall Craig had chops in both Normal and Hardcore, and even participated in the HC FFA tournrment alongside the insanity of AVP and Richard_Turpin. I wouldn't want anyone to imply that Craig wasn't a skilled player.

I agree with convex that majority rules in this thing. It's a popularity contest so let the award stand IMO. Even though I disagree that Craig could best cD or OM that is immaterial.

What OldBill is saying sounds wise and personally I agree it wouldn't hurt the Award event if "best" was dropped, but Castyen makes good points. It's just silly awards on a gaming forum. (I know she didn't say that but you follow me I think)

Well done Craig.

Dirty Wild Sig by DocRikowski
I rep the D the way I do
I can't be you I won't be you
I got soul in me that's older than you
I got my mans with me we colder than you

Offline DethPimp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 04:33:15 PM »
Yup, I think we all agree on the 'silly awards' thing. It is not something worth getting emo about.

But, then again, the entire forum is just a silly game thing, but we still have mods, policies and decisions, and they still get made on some basis. Just making some input to that.

Offline booshthelurker

• Muckraker
  • D WILD BUNCH
  • Liked: 483
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 04:46:25 PM »
I should mention that I understand what Ern was saying though. I recently deleted Craig from my friends list because I needed room for people who play PS3, and he just doesn't. Well, on a rare occasion I'll see him and PM him just to say hi.

If Xbox players are voting for him that makes little sense. I know I agree that this is a popularity contest, but I don't think I voted for any Xbox awards because that makes no sense - unless I did because I have a personal issue with somebody and didn't want them to win. Wow that would be shallow I hope I didn't do that...

Regardless, Craig won and I accept that. If anything he deserves recognition for being very proficient at multiple modes in addition to what he won. That would be a cool award - Best Multi-Mode Award. :D

Dirty Wild Sig by DocRikowski
I rep the D the way I do
I can't be you I won't be you
I got soul in me that's older than you
I got my mans with me we colder than you

Offline TWO Many Skillz

• Original Founder of TWO
  • TWO
  • Liked: 1956
  • Awards Best Posse Leader 2014 Best posse leader
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »
Part of the online professional category is also about the attitude the person has online. I didn't vote anything that I personally didnt have an opinion on because it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the candidates that deserved votes. I have no knowledge of how good Criagy was on the PS3 or how he acted on the PS3 but if its anything like he is on the Xbox then he is definitely deserving of the votes if people from the PS3 voted him because that's how they remember Craigy, as a kick ass player and a kick ass dude.

#TeamOasis

Offline DethPimp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »
Just for the record, there is no one I'd rather see win forum awards than my mate Craigyroo.

And that's despite the way he dissed me in all those battle raps back when he, Val, and I were bustin rhymes.

Anyway, seems like the masses have spoken against me.

Happy if someone wants to lock, delete, or whatever this thread.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:53:44 PM by Immanuel Kant »

Offline Cheese

• Administrator
  • Liked: 1547
  • Сука Блять
  • Awards Funniest Member 2014 Meme King 2014
    • View Profile
    • ?????????????
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 06:48:48 PM »
I think you are all undermining the seriousness of these awards. People have got into Harvard and Princeton with the "Best Player Award" and whoever gets the "Most likely to flee to Mexico award" gets a Mexican citizenship.

It is just an award on a gaming forum, but therefore it goes two ways: No one should care to much who wins so keep it, or remove it as it is not that important anyway.

With the next awards everyone will be active on GTA, so we should not encounter the same problem of someone that does not play anymore getting the award. So I say keep it.

Offline convex airplane

• TWO
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 06:51:27 PM »
Sweet, I can live in Mexico... wait.... :P

Offline convex airplane

• TWO
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 08:23:39 PM »
While we are on the topic of changing the awards a bit, maybe next year the "Best Game" award should only be games from 2013, because I'm pretty sure RDR will win that award every time...

Offline Valjean

• TWO
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 2457
  • Writing names on my hollowtips
  • Awards Best admin Best Admin 2014 Most Like John Marston
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 08:29:17 PM »
Best game isn't even a real award, it was supposed to be best forum game.  Best game won't be returning next year.... In other words.

Offline DethPimp

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
Just in case I was missed earler:

I'm  a Craigyroo fan.

I have said my piece. Which wasn't about anyone in particular winning.

Please feel free to delete or lock this thread.