Username: Password:

Author Topic: This Snowden fella  (Read 1041 times)

Offline ADONYS

• Liked: 698
  • Best RB Camper EVER
  • Awards Biggest drama queen
    • View Profile
    • Awards
This Snowden fella
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:59:56 AM »
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2013/06/demonizing-edward-snowden-which-side-are-you-on.html

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

I was watching a UK show called question time the other day where some British Politicians were calling for UK people to pull away from all US based sites to avoid US intelligence agencies from snooping on all our conversations etc....bit weird considering we were involved in it also.

Offline Cheese

• Administrator
  • Liked: 1563
  • Сука Блять
  • Awards Funniest Member 2014 Meme King 2014
    • View Profile
    • ?????????????
    • Awards
Re: This Snowden fella
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »
The entire western world is involved in it. If any country pretends they don't do it they are liars. I don't know much about Snowden other then what I read in the local newspaper, but more power to him if he is uncovering all the bullshit. But governments have been practicing espionage and the like since recorded history and it won't change anytime soon.

Offline Valjean

• TWO
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 2458
  • Writing names on my hollowtips
  • Awards Best admin Best Admin 2014 Most Like John Marston
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »
I think he's just a kid with a personality complex that wants attention.

My reasoning is simple: if he was really interested in whistle blowing about this government surveillence program he would have stopped there.  He crossed the line from whistle blower to traitor when he started leaking operations from the intelligence community like trying to spy on foreign delegations at UN conferences, etc.  Those are clearly intelligence programs with no relation to civil liberties, etc.

Regardless though I don't think he should be skull drug back to the US and thrown in jail the rest of his life even though that is the actual punishment for his actions.  He's mostly a dumb-ass and having to live your whole life in Iceland or Ecquador is punishment enough in my books.

Offline Cheese

• Administrator
  • Liked: 1563
  • Сука Блять
  • Awards Funniest Member 2014 Meme King 2014
    • View Profile
    • ?????????????
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 10:13:33 AM »
It is pretty much exile then if you think of it that way. A fitting punishment for treason in some cultures. Then again others would behead him in that scenario so...

Offline CyborgNinjaCowboy

• I'm your huckleberry.
  • Liked: 202
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 10:16:27 AM »
The man is a hero, but this whole surveillance thing is nothing new, been going on since at least Hoover and it's small potatoes compared to other actions the government's taken, like the whole Patriot Act. Also, this:

The entire western world is involved in it. If any country pretends they don't do it they are liars.
Apples taste good and you can throw them if your being attacked
PSN:Bassman32590