Username: Password:

Author Topic: RDR Sequel - Rumor Round-up!  (Read 9305 times)

Offline Billy Riel

• Liked: 15
    • View Profile
    • http://www.westernsreboot.com/
    • Awards
RDR Sequel - Rumor Round-up!
« on: February 12, 2015, 01:04:06 PM »
Howdy y'all...I imagine many are on the trail - like John Marston tracking his gang, ha - of the emerging rumors about a sequel - or will it be prequel? - for RDR. I have been monitoring the rumors on my Western genre site and have collected the latest in this post for those interested:

http://westernsreboot.com/2015/02/12/red-dead-redemption-sequel-rumor-round-up/

Cheers,
Chad aka "Billy Riel" (XBL)
http://westernsreboot.com/

Offline Mrs Marston

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 1133
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RDR Sequel - Rumor Round-up!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »
Nice website!  Well, I sure hope that some of these rumors become reality and we hear something official from Rockstar soon! 

Offline Billy Riel

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 02:59:39 PM »
Cheers, Mrs Marston, thanks for the visit and comment. There is a lot of chatter on the 'Net of late and often the same items are repeated across sites and so it is hard to rate what is real at times.  ;) That said, I will continue to track any emerging/important items on my site.

BTW...I dig the Red River Resistance tag line for your character...a lot of history to that idea in the area now known as Manitoba!

Thanks,

Offline MrYoungGun

• El Jefe
  • Liked: 237
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:07:36 PM »
As much as I want a new RDR, I hope this total BS. This "leak" is on multiple sites, here's a couple links to the coverage, if the links are broken I apologize as I used my phone to copy them and it sometimes leaves a few letters out. Just google red dead redemption 2 news and you'll see them.

Red Dead Redemption 2 To Be Unveiled At E3 - Will Come to PS4, Xbox One and PC, Details Leaked
http://wccftech.com/red-dead-redemption-2-unveiled-e3-ps4-xbox-pc-details-leaked/

Venture Capital Post
http://www.vcpost.com/articles/55687/20150407/red-dead-redemption-2-the-game-is-rumored-to-be-available-to-multiplatforms-new-game-details-leaked-rdr-a-prequel.htm

Two big problems I have with this are
1- Rockstar almost never uses the same characters in it's ongoing IPs, each installment usually has a new protagonist and their own story.
2- while hackers may look in the code of already released games and find upcoming dlc or expansion clues, there has never been a confirmed leak about any game of theirs prior to them revealing themselves. Their nondisclosure agreement their employees sign would put them in financial ruin for life if they leaked any info on their projects and were sued by Rockstar.
3- (the nail in the coffin) ROCKSTAR NEVER ATTENDS E3. They do however occasionally reveal their projects around that time (early June) almost as a wave of the middle finger to the companies that do invest a lot of their marketing in E3.

As a casual gamer who spends or "wastes" too much of his free time evaluating and predicting what/when Rockstar Games is working on or planning, I still think we will hear about their next project(s) between May and July since the final GTAV platform version (PC) will have been released and the bulk of the sales for this title will be realized. Surely there will be major DLC coming within the next year or two but TakeTwo will want them to begin hyping the next big thing from the gaming Juggernaut, we all know they begin to talk about their games about a year before they release with delays adding a few months also. Ive lost confidence over the course of the last few months that their next game will be a brand new RDR, but a RDR Remastered makes a lot of sense due to the success of GTAV's re-release. Redoing textures and updating multiplayer capacities to suit the new generation consoles would not be too much of an undertaking and would not require the highest level of developers in the company to do so. A brand new Midnight Club for example would be a great companion title to a RDR-R as they are two different genres, allowing them to market the games to maximum gaming consumers. Based on the amount of employee workforce they have its likely the GTAV DLC will require the attention of their developers that also build RDR, which also leads me to believe that even though they probably are building the next RDR, the power of the newer consoles makes the process take longer and its completion is still a couple years away.

Offline Mrs Marston

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 1133
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 05:31:53 PM »
I agree, I hope this is not true! I do like Irish and Seth....they were funny and interesting characters but I do not see them being a main protagonist in a game.  If it is going to be a prequel, I would rather see someone like Landon Ricketts, Bill Williamson, Dutch van der Linde and of course, John Marston as a younger protagonist and to find out the back story of those characters. I do like the idea of having multiple playable characters just like in GTA including the last one as a multiplayer character that you can customize....I really like that idea for the game!

I would much rather see a completely new western type story line...and they could still use the same idea of the GTA "character wheel".

I hope that there will be something officially announced this year.

Offline Billy Riel

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 12:35:18 PM »
Hmmm...Irish and Seth as the main characters....I'm wondering if that info was leaked around April Fool's Day?!? Interesting links you share, Mr.YoungGun....and it is amazing in today's Internet age that if one "claims" to be an insider that any "news" gets picked up and carried by a number of websites...I try to stick as close as possible to official news and people who actually give their name when reporting on my own site.

In any case, the hype around any news (fake or real) at the very least indicates there is a real hunger for a new RDR!

Cheers,

Offline MrYoungGun

• El Jefe
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 03:47:56 PM »
It will be pretty nice to see a new RDR announcement breathe life back into this site, I spent countless hours reading other's stories, joining activities, trading tips, and the occasional dust-up with hooligans on these here web pages. Hopefully the next RDR is as immersive and social as the last, id hate to think I've already experienced my personal peak of multiplayer gaming. I really thought the success of RDR would have shown other game companies a blueprint for sandbox console games but I've yet to come across a game since that didn't encourage you to just go for the most kills possible. Even GTA online missed the mark in terms of the  social freeroam captured by RDR, the removal of the posse system in exchange for crews was a huge mistake. Making friends and foes on the fly in every session you joined was a big factor in the fun of RDR, theres way too much of a process to do the same in GTAO.

Offline Zafar1981

• Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 12:38:44 AM »
Well Seth and Irish thing look wired to me as RDR looks a GTA horse clone to me and as far as GTA Rockstar never made sequel and prequel for it. If you say that a new DLC of RDR is coming and you can play with Seth and/or Irish then it make sense.

I personally think that if there is a new RDR in development then it would have no link with previous two RDR games. It will have new protagonist(s), new locations, new game mechanics and new story.     

Offline MrYoungGun

• El Jefe
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 12:45:42 PM »
Agreed. Theres so many old west settings both historical and fictional that using a character from previous RDR would feel forced. Besides, we all love John Marston and Irish/Seth too for that matter and wish they had more adventures for us to embark on but Rockstar is very good at creating characters in their games and I'm sure whomever we meet in the next game we'll all feel good about vicariously helping them through their journey.

Offline MrYoungGun

• El Jefe
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 01:54:13 PM »
Here's the latest gossip, although I'm sceptical its going to be the next RDR. Rockstar San Diego has yet to fill many of its key designer positions which suggests major development of a game is not yet underway.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/578381/Red-Dead-Redemption-2-announcement-Mafia-3-PS4-Xbox-One-PC

Offline MrYoungGun

• El Jefe
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 12:16:21 PM »
Dynamic multiplayer? If this upcoming project is a new red dead, would Rockstar really try an mmo approach to it?

https://youtu.be/f2mwNjJQs0s

Offline Thor

• Red River Resistance
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 275
  • ᚦᛟᚾᚨᚱ
    • View Profile
    • Finit.co - A chat site
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 03:56:41 PM »
would Rockstar really try an mmo approach to it?

God, I hope not.

Offline john blane

• Liked: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 05:28:45 AM »
there are a lot of rumours around the web at the mo.  most do not have the slightest ring of truth about them. (irish and seth? no way) 

the only thing we know for sure is that R* have advertised for some jobs. 

still playing rdr?  see you online

Offline Floater

• Liked: 21
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 05:39:34 AM »
I can't help but make assumptions based on the job listings. If I remember correctly Rockstar announced GTA 5 in september of 2011 for a march 2013 release (that got later pushed back to september 2013).
They started looking for additional staff in march of 2011, roughly 6 months before they announced it.

When 2K announced that they would release a AAA title before the end of march 2016 I never thought it would be the Red Dead sequel (looks like Bioshock, I guess). But I think the next Red Dead will be released, at the latest, by the end of march 2017.

Maybe it's just me hoping, because I really don't play any other games any more.

And I think R* is enough in touch with the players that they know a real dynamic multiplayer would not be well received, no matter how you do it. I think it just means optional Co-op. The competitive MP will still be a separate thing.

Offline Chalk

• We can rebuild him!
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 814
  • Awards Awarded to the user voted Best admin Awarded to the user voted Most helpful member Awarded to the user voted to have the Best contribution Awarded to the user voted Best staff member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 07:00:12 AM »
The Red Dead Redemption, Rockstar have released Max Payne 3 and GTA5.

If they can bring the fun gunplay from both those titles, as well as some of the aspects from the MP then that makes a solid start. Have no doubt a new game would be worth the whatever price they set.

Offline MrYoungGun

• El Jefe
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 12:42:44 PM »
As much as I want a new RDR, I'll be happy to see any new Rockstar game. L.A. Noire was the only game I didn't like in the past ten years and I can't fathom dynamic multiplayer in that series. Whose to say the next RDR will be as great as the last one? What if it has the economy and crews system of GTAO? Would we like having to use the telegraph office to file insurance on a slain horse to get a new one? Okay so im being pessimistic but im just saying, a new game that isn't RDR might not be another instant classic, or maybe it will. Perhaps it's dynamic multiplayer is done so well it gets game of the year?

Offline john blane

• Liked: 2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 06:21:48 AM »
nothing new at the moment.  some articles on webmags claiming release will be this summer. right!

nothing on rockstar website.  nothing official.  i'd love to see some development art on this game. love to get a peek at a map.

Offline MrYoungGun

• El Jefe
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 03:55:30 PM »
We all would love to know what's going on at Rockstar and it kinda sucks that they make RDR since just about every other game studio loves to talk about what theyre working on long before its done. The upside is when we finally do get to play their games we are all noobs as we take in everything they have to offer, nobody gets alphas and betas early access or anything like that, maybe a video from IGN about hands on time or some screen shots. E3 is coming up and i'd expect to hear about story DLC for GTAV, even though Rockstar doesn't attend it, they like to make mention of what theyre doing just to F with the companies going all out there. Im sure they will announce their next game this year (without a release date), they take a year just to finally give us a release window. Their fiscal year runs from April 1st to March 31st, Strauss Zelnick (Take Two CEO) said no games from Rockstar this fiscal year, so look for a new Rockstar game late 2016/Early 2017. Fingers crossed its the next RDR!

Offline MrYoungGun

• El Jefe
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 06:57:11 PM »
Ubisoft- educated guess or strategic stolen thunder?

https://youtu.be/2quTXB6U3WI