Username: Password:

Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption to become backwards compatible (XB1)  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Chalk

• We can rebuild him!
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 816
  • Awards Awarded to the user voted Best admin Awarded to the user voted Most helpful member Awarded to the user voted to have the Best contribution Awarded to the user voted Best staff member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Red Dead Redemption to become backwards compatible (XB1)
« on: February 07, 2016, 07:25:53 AM »
Over the weekend users have been able to get Red Dead Redemption backwards compatible. It takes a very precise step to do so at the moment, but it is a sign that it probably won't be far off. Microsoft have already said they will release games when available and stamped by the publisher, rather than trying to stick to some predetermined monthly schedule etc. This means we could be literally days away from full release of Red Dead Redemption on the Xbox One.

Article from Gamespot:
It looks like Rockstar Games' celebrated 2010 western Red Dead Redemption is coming to the Xbox One's backwards compatibility program. A NeoGAF user reported today that the game is now available to download, though it doesn't appear to be showing up in search. Another NeoGAF member points out that you can search their Gamertag, "rockohoward," and view their profile to find a download link.

GameSpot tried this and it does seem to work. However, right now it appears you need to have purchased the digital version of Red Dead Redemption for Xbox 360 to play it on Xbox One. It looks like physical copies aren't supported, at least not yet.

If you don't own a digital copy of Red Dead Redemption, you'll see "Bundle Only" from the purchase options. Clicking this returns no results. However, you can pick up Red Dead Redemption from the Xbox.com store for $30, return to your console, and it should show up.

Other Xbox 360 games that are playable on Xbox One in this manner reportedly include Left 4 Dead 2, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night--and maybe others as well.

As for the unceremonious nature of Red Dead Redemption's release on Xbox One (and those other games), there is an explanation. Last month, Microsoft announced it would launch new titles into the backwards compatibility program as they became available, not on a standard monthly schedule.

"What this means for you is that you won't have to wait to find out the latest titles," Microsoft said at the time. "We'll release whatever is available, when they're available, once each title has received the engineering and publisher stamp of approval."

Some are also wondering how Red Dead Redemption runs on Xbox One. One person encountered the bug you see below, though it's possible this would have happened in the Xbox 360 version, too. Other people on NeoGAF are reporting that the game runs as smoothly as they remember.

Red Dead Redemption was the third most sought-after game for the Xbox One backwards compatibility program on the Xbox Feedback website, behind only The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Call of Duty: Black Ops II. Those two games are not in the program, but Microsoft is in discussions with all major publishers.
Source

Offline outlawfisherman

• TWO
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 2544
  • Awards Best Mod 2014 Most Helpful 2014 Most like John Marston
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Red Dead Redemption to become backwards compatible (XB1)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:44:58 AM »
I'm ready.  Hopefully they fixed the servers first.

So those of you who have played a backwards comp game, if we play online on xbox one, does that mean we will be playing with the same people still playing on xbox 360? 

Offline Chalk

• We can rebuild him!
  • Administrator
  • Awards Awarded to the user voted Best admin Awarded to the user voted Most helpful member Awarded to the user voted to have the Best contribution Awarded to the user voted Best staff member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 03:47:58 PM »

So those of you who have played a backwards comp game, if we play online on xbox one, does that mean we will be playing with the same people still playing on xbox 360? 

I wouldn't expect so. Think Xbox One servers would be seperate.

Offline Mrs Marston

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 1137
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 07:54:16 PM »
I just found out about this last night! So excited!  I do not have a digital copy of Red Dead.  Does anyone know what version will be available to buy on the Marketplace? I hope it's the GOTY version.  And will you be able to play it on disc?

I thought they said somewhere that you would be able to play and chat with players on the 360. 

Offline mellamocomotu

• Liked: 18
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 08:31:22 PM »

I wouldn't expect so. Think Xbox One servers would be seperate.

You can play with people that own an xbox 360 while playing xbox one. it´s an emulator and everyone that owns the game can play it in the same server

Offline mellamocomotu

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 08:34:54 PM »
I just found out about this last night! So excited!  I do not have a digital copy of Red Dead.  Does anyone know what version will be available to buy on the Marketplace? I hope it's the GOTY version.  And will you be able to play it on disc?

I thought they said somewhere that you would be able to play and chat with players on the 360. 

It emulates the 360 interface as soon as you put a 360 disc

Offline Alphapug

• That is not dead which can eternal lie. Mad Men
  • Mad Men
  • Liked: 1043
  • Mad Men Ambassador and Crew Leader
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 12:35:16 PM »
I played twice before they pulled the plug. It had a new red and black title screen, loaded quickly and before I knew it I was in a land grab. I never saw any glitches like dead bodies or whatever. I ran around free roam for a while, then jumped to gang matches. Played a couple at Chuparosa and had no problems. I had moved my save to the cloud, so my MP and SP games were up to date. I'm ready for it to be turned on officially. If you've never played a BC game, the only way to tell is to look down at your controller. Everything else is identical to the 360 version.

Offline convex airplane

• TWO
  • Liked: 3924
  • Awards Hash Tag King 2014 Most likely to flee to Mexico Biggest Perv 2014
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 02:37:06 PM »
Ha! They removed it again? Pshhhh...

Offline Alphapug

• That is not dead which can eternal lie. Mad Men
  • Mad Men
  • Liked: 1043
  • Mad Men Ambassador and Crew Leader
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 03:51:59 PM »
Yeah, MS said it was independently testing it.
Nice to see it in my list though. Sigh...

Offline Chalk

• We can rebuild him!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Red Dead Redemption to become backwards compatible (XB1)
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 04:22:00 AM »
Apparently if you go offline you can still play. Not sure how it will act when it becomes available. If the saves will reset or what.

Offline convex airplane

• TWO
  • Liked: 3924
  • Awards Hash Tag King 2014 Most likely to flee to Mexico Biggest Perv 2014
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 10:01:57 AM »
Damn... RDR on Xbone lasted longer than Oasis on prom night...

Offline Mrs Marston

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 1137
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »
If you go to the game hub for RDR you can see that some people are still able to play it because there are game clips.  Some say recorded a couple days ago and then I see some that say something like 2 hours ago. I guess they're playing it offline?

I just hope they will release it soon...the suspense is killing me!  It would probably have been released sooner if modders didn't eff it up all the time.  So, I'm hoping that they are taking so long because they want to make sure that it's working ok.

Offline mellamocomotu

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 09:58:18 AM »
If you go to the game hub for RDR you can see that some people are still able to play it because there are game clips.  Some say recorded a couple days ago and then I see some that say something like 2 hours ago. I guess they're playing it offline?

I just hope they will release it soon...the suspense is killing me!  It would probably have been released sooner if modders didn't eff it up all the time.  So, I'm hoping that they are taking so long because they want to make sure that it's working ok.

It´s killing me to....It dosen´t seem to be soon enough..