Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Sports] Motor racing  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Chalk

• We can rebuild him!
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 814
  • Awards Awarded to the user voted Best admin Awarded to the user voted Most helpful member Awarded to the user voted to have the Best contribution Awarded to the user voted Best staff member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
[Sports] Motor racing
« on: May 14, 2016, 03:14:11 AM »
Anyone here a fan of motor racing? I've been a keen fan of F1 for quite a few years now, as well as the World Endurance Championship, Indycar and Formula E.

Generally its because I like to follow any fellow Aussies but also like to see some good fast racing and the strategies that can be involved. Oh, and the crashes of course. :P

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 5478
  • Adios, half soldier
  • Awards Best Contributor 2014
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
Re: [Sports] Motor racing
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 04:02:42 AM »
I love Formula 1, i watch it since '98 or so. But I watch pretty much any sort of racing that is broadcasted on TV, including offroad races and bikes too.

Hopefully Max Verstappen will do good in the Red Bull :)

Offline Chalk

• We can rebuild him!
  • Administrator
  • Awards Awarded to the user voted Best admin Awarded to the user voted Most helpful member Awarded to the user voted to have the Best contribution Awarded to the user voted Best staff member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 06:28:52 AM »
Hopefully Max Verstappen will do good in the Red Bull :)

Just not as good as Ricciardo.

But I think the switch of Kyvat and Verstappen is more about keeping Max with the Red Bull family than it was about punishing Kyvat. Max was always going to be in a Red Bull seat next season, it was just a matter of which seat. And the longer they put it off the more the likes of Ferrari might come knocking.
I think they gave a lot of credit to Ricciardo for consistently being stronger in qualifying, as well as getting some solid results. In fact he probably should of had better results the last two races but in China was compromised by a puncture, possibly caused by Kyat's collision with Vettel which ruined his race where he ended up 4th, but should of been 3rd and possibly challenge for higher. Then in Russia obviously Kyvat's hit with Vettel killed his race but he did still do well to come back up through the pack. I also think they probably got the strategy wrong in Russia moving to the medium tyres when they couldn't go full race distance. I'm not sure what tyres they had left but if they had used two sets of softs (instead of mediums and softs) then he probably would of picked up a few points at the very least.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 06:39:53 AM »
Ricciardo is a skilled driver and I'm keen to see how Max will do against him, should be an interesting season this one :)

The switch felt a bit hurried to me, especially towards Kvyat. I don't give a damn about him though, altough I do like the fact he crashed into Vettel; I can't stand that crybaby ;)

Ever attended Formula 1 or other race?

Offline Chalk

• We can rebuild him!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 06:48:50 AM »
The switch felt a bit hurried to me, especially towards Kvyat. I don't give a damn about him though, altough I do like the fact he crashed into Vettel; I can't stand that crybaby ;)

Ever attended Formula 1 or other race?

I think Kyvat was also getting a bit of an ego, without any real great results to go along with it. And with Max at their disposal they were just waiting for the opportunity to switch them. And then Kyvat goes ahead and gives them a perfect time.

I went to the season opening Australian GP this year. First time I've been able to go, even though I've always wanted to as its in my home town. Literally 25 mins down the road. You can actually drive on the majority of the track when its not around the GP time. Although they do put temporary traffic islands on the front straight to stop people from getting any ideas. I also rode my bike around the track a week after the race last year. Made a point to note that I did something that several of the cars couldn't manage all weekend long. Complete a lap of the track.

Offline Chalk

• We can rebuild him!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 05:51:57 AM »
Great last minute quali lap by the Red Bull boys. Starting in front of the Ferrari's and Williams cars, especially with the likes of Williams and Vettel seeming to struggle could mean they can battle it out with Kimi for the podium. Most importantly they seemed to have good race pace in the longer stints in practice. Still a long way to go and I'm sure the others will improve for the race but its a good sign to have them competitive with Williams and Ferrari. Will be interesting how future races go as it seems it can be very much down to who the track suits more at the moment.
Can't wait for the race.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 08:08:13 AM »
Nice start for Mercedes (thumbsup2)

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 09:48:07 AM »
Whaaaaaaaaa Max has won!!!!!! (thumbsup2) (party)

Offline Chalk

• We can rebuild him!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 09:57:15 AM »
What an incredible race. A few points to note:

A) Muahahahahaahahahaahahahahaaha Mercedes. Will be interesting to see what comes of it. Any penalties or discussion amongst the drivers. Can't imagine the harmony amongst the team will be at an all time high. Lots of points missed, and Hamilton will be frustrated but was he too aggressive too early? If Hamilton is even partially at fault and gets a reprimand it will be his third strike, and an automatic 10 place grid penalty for Monaco, which is basically race over there.

B) How unlucky can Ricciardo get? How many times has he had punctures or damaged to his car caused by other drivers this year? By my count its in every one of the last 4 races. He's done well to still be getting some decent points with it but why is he getting so many punctures? The way he's driving? Did he run over debris or contact Vettel when trying to pass?

C) Max and Kimi getting the tyres to last so long was amazing. Helped that the battle for 3rd/4th meant it slowed them down and let the front two stay away. Before they started fighting each other Vettel and Ricciardo were catching the top two at a rate of knots. If Ricciardo could of got past Vettel with 7-8 laps to go he probably would of been on the heels of the top 2 with a couple laps left.

D) What a win for Max. Red Bull now look by geniuses putting him in the car and getting a race win straight up. Okay, so they had some help by Mercedes falling over and others messing up their strategies a little. But you can bet that won't be the first win of his career.

Offline outlawfisherman

• TWO
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 2544
  • Awards Best Mod 2014 Most Helpful 2014 Most like John Marston
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 09:11:01 PM »
Where I'm from, growing up, we used to go to the races on Friday nights.  Sprint cars, street stock, hobby stock, modified, etc.  Always enjoyed them. 

Offline Chalk

• We can rebuild him!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 12:22:07 AM »
Reading online the the feud between Rosberg and Hamilton is sizzling nicely, despite the public diplomatic stance. Just need another small spark in Monaco and who knows what will happen? Its probably not very nice to be wanting crashes and incidents and the likes, but its hard to deny the most entertaining races over the last 2-3 years has been when Rosberg and Hamilton are tripping up.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 01:09:43 AM »
Indeed :) And if they crash again, others will have a chance!
I never thought I would say this, but I really hope Red Bull will improve their cars :)

Offline Chalk

• We can rebuild him!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 10:12:25 AM »
Monaco Free practice sessions 1 & 2 now complete. Williams looking slow as expected on such a track which doesn't suit them, but more interestingly is that the Ferrari's seemed to struggle a fair bit. Especially Vettel. Didn't seem comfortable in the car and had a few incidents with the wall.
The Red Bulls look pretty strong on a track which suit their cars. Ricciardo looked particularly good even edging out the Mercedes by over half a second in P2.

Saturday will interesting. If Ricciardo can have a good qualifying and get in the top 3 he should be able to do well in the race. He does like this track so could be a great weekend for him.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 11:35:32 AM »
Funny to see Ferrari is still struggling, and, as you mentioned, a fair bit as well... They have quite some work to do, which gives Red Bull a nice chance to take away some points.

The Verstappen madness is still going strong in Holland, talking about a possible win in Monaco... ??? If Hamilton and Rosberg do what they need to do, a third place is the maximum ;)

Offline Chalk

• We can rebuild him!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 09:22:59 AM »
What a Saturday.

Vettel looked a whole hell of a lot of confident today than he did on Thursday. It looked all set to be a 4-5 way battle for pole.

Then Max Verstappen crashed out in Q1, will start at 21st and its a very long way back around Monaco. The other 4 (2 Mercs, Ricciardo and Vettel) all looked be to waiting to battle it out for the rest of the day. Ricciardo and Red Bull opted to try and set a personal best Q2 time on super softs instead of the ultra softs to give him a better race strategy. He managed to pull it off and earn him an extra card up his sleeve.
In Q3 things looked to be falling apart from Hamilton again when he couldn't get out of pit lane and lost most of the session in there. He did manage to come out and put in quite a few warm up laps where he never really opened it up until a last minute lap and it wasn't quite good enough. Will only start 3rd and could make for a tense start right behind his teammate given what happened last time out in Spain. Rosberg looking strong again without looking incredible. Vettel couldn't quite get a really good lap together, although I did hear him complain on race radio so he may have thought traffic prevented him. Will be interesting to see what the deal was there.
Meanwhile Ricciardo pulls out a huge lap when it mattered and got his first ever pole position. On a track that suits him and his car, starting on pole with a better race strategy option given he will start on super softs and can run longer than those on the ultras (provided he can stay in front of the two Mercs early), I can really feel its his best ever opportunity for a race win. Hopefully he can get out in front whilst the two Mercs squabble with each other and Vettel, get out in front and stay there.

This race weekend might end up being quite good. A nice change from the Mercedes domination from the past few seasons.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 11:33:01 AM »
Indeed :)

Offline Chalk

• We can rebuild him!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 10:22:34 AM »
Well that race sucked. Daniel did well to get out well in front whilst Rosberg held up Hamilton. Even after the initial stop for inters he was catching Hamilton and the undercut should of worked when they both pitted for slicks (after Hamilton didn't take inters and went straight from wets to slicks). An absolute massive fuck up by the Red Bull pit crew to call Daniel in (he didn't call it, but it should of been obvious to everyone that he was going to have to pit the lap after Hamilton), but NOT HAVE THE TYRES READY!!! LIKE SERIOUSLY?!?!?

It cost him at least another 8-9 seconds whilst put him behind Hamilton and he just couldn't get around him and ruined his tyres in the end trying. If he got out in front of on Hamilton it may have forced him into a rethink on the tyres or at least forced him to settle for second.

Two weeks in a row Red Bull has cost Ricciardo the victory. Think they more than owe him one, but with tracks like Canada whilst aren't going to suit the Red Bull car coming up I think they may have blown their best chance at a race win for a while.

In other news Red Bull has confirmed they are entered a new partnership with Renault to keep their engines for another two years, again badged as Tag Heuer. The Toro Rosso team will also run this engine from next year. Interesting development considering they really only got this deal as a last minute option to try and have some kind of engine. I think with the new regulations next year which might swing it back towards a car with more downforce and mechanical grip (bigger tyres, aero changes) it could mean the Red Bull comes back closer to the Mercs and Ferrari teams.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 10:50:43 AM »
Verstappen crashed three times this weekend... unbelievable! :(

Nice job with Ricciardo's pitstop, what the hell was that?! But I do not understand why he said he was screwed a second time?

Great race and call from Hamilton though, and Rosberg showed once again he's not a driver ;)

Sauber were the clowns of the weekend, that crash made me lol hard! (thumbsup2)

Offline Chalk

• We can rebuild him!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 11:15:10 AM »
Nice job with Ricciardo's pitstop, what the hell was that?! But I do not understand why he said he was screwed a second time?

He was referring to his team's strategy last race costing him the race.

And yeah, will be a few conversations to be had in the Sauber garage. The big issue is that both drivers are pay-drivers (i.e. their sponsorship is what lets them drive). So they really can't afford to sack either of them or else the team doesn't have enough money to run. One of the issues in modern day F1. Lets drivers that aren't really all that good get a drive because they have money behind them.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 12:22:24 PM »
And to make matters worse; Maldonado is talking to different teams about a possible comeback...