Username: Password:

Author Topic: [Sports] Motor racing  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
  • Liked: 852
  • Awards Awarded to the user voted Best admin Awarded to the user voted Most helpful member Awarded to the user voted to have the Best contribution Awarded to the user voted Best staff member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: [Sports] Motor racing
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2016, 08:39:28 AM »
Anyone watching the F1 today/tonight?

I'm up to the point where Vettel's tyre just exploded. Will be interesting as they only lasted 27 laps. Will be interested to see how the other compounds (softs) last and if Nico can make it to the end of the race.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 5501
  • Adios, half soldier
  • Awards Best Contributor 2014
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2016, 08:43:46 AM »
I'm watching :)

Nice pitstop by Mercedes too! ...

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
  • Awards Awarded to the user voted Best admin Awarded to the user voted Most helpful member Awarded to the user voted to have the Best contribution Awarded to the user voted Best staff member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2016, 09:36:52 AM »
Wow, what an ending. Will love to be a fly on the wall at the debrief. I normally am all for Nico Rosberg but it does indeed seem he was at fault on that last lap scrap with Lewis. I love it when these two crash into each other and then say how its all about the team and being unified. Hahaha.

Good race by Max as well. Rewarded with second place as Nico fell back. Daniel was a little bit off it today but still gets home in 5th. Never really seemed to have the pace we know he can have. Not sure if he had trouble turning his tyres on compared to Max and the Ferrari's. That said, with such a short lap it seemed everyone was within about 1.5s of each other each lap.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2016, 02:26:32 PM »
Hahaha those Mercedes guys again! :) Rosberg blamed his overheated brakes, but also says it was "his" corner...? Says enough.

Great pace by Max Verstappen, not sure what was going on with Ricciardo.

You think Vettel's tyre blowout was Ferrari's fault, or not?

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 06:20:45 PM »
I'm not sure if it was Ferrari's fault. Seb said he didn't make a mistake that could of caused it, like running wide and damaging it on the harsh curbs. Unless it was a tyre defect, which is uncommon but not impossible, the only other explanation for it would be that they simply ran it too long and with the heat it just wore it down too much. I noticed when they were showing the replays that the left front tyre also looked like it had worn down to the canvas, but this was probably affected by the spin. Still, what would normally be a big flat spot was worn down to canvas so it looks as though they just pushed it too hard. Interesting that they didn't seem to lose performance first, which usually happens when tyres get old. Perhaps the track killed tyres but with such a short lap and new surface it meant almost nothing affected performance (shown by there being not much of a difference between Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault engines, and how close everyone kept throughout most the race).

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2016, 09:05:13 AM »
The qualifying for Silverstone has been interesting. Plenty of cars going off the track, with only certain corners being 100% enforced with other corners being very hit or miss if they penalise your or not.

I've always been a fan of enforcing track limits on all corners, unless you are like run off the track or lock up your wheels and therefore run wide. Times where you clearly lose out quite significantly. All other times treat it like a wall. You bet at tracks like Monaco they wouldn't be running wide. Even if the wets they seem to be able to stay off the kerbs pretty easily. Funny that.

The confusion with Button and Magnussen at the end of Q1 was bad. I don't see why they couldn't delay Q2 until they investigated and came back with an outcome. In the end it not only confirmed Button was eliminated but gave Magnussen less running time (which may or may not have helped anyway).

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2016, 03:27:58 AM »
It's a bit weird only Copse, Stowe and Club have a zero tolerance, track limits are track limits I would say.

I hope the race will be more exciting than the quali, Mercedes was soooo fast again. Wonder if Ricciardo did change something to improve his pace in the race :)

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2016, 07:49:04 AM »
They gave the reasoning that they chose those 3 corners as thats where they see drivers taking an advantage. I still think it should be enforced on all areas of the track though.

About 10 mins to the start of the race and they've just had a massive downpour which will see them start on wet tyres, possibly even behind the safety car. This throws open the door to teams other than Mercedes to challenge. In the right spot are Red Bull and Kimi. Pace has been decent and a wet race will see Mercedes dominance diminish.
Is it wrong to hope that Hamilton and Rosberg collide again and see what the team does? Especially if Hamilton is at fault this time. Would they chastise him in front of his home crowd?

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »
All in all a great race :) Ferrari was quite poor again and Red Bull did good! Verstappen's 3rd place might be a 2nd place, depending on Rosberg's punishment.

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2016, 06:48:35 AM »
Could be an interesting race. Rosberg and Hamilton are as close as they've ever been, but the Red Bulls also seem very pacey. Ferrari a little behind but Kimi has looked better than some previous races, and there's even a chance of some surprises with a track where pure speed isn't as important and the driver has a bit more opportunity than other races. Throw in what could happen with the weather like yesterday and could be an interesting race. If only there was more overtaking opportunities on the track.

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2016, 08:04:45 AM »
This could be a good weekend. The two Red Bull cars look to be the fastest around this circuit, leading from the Ferrari's and then the Mercs. Been a while since the Red Bulls have gone into a weekend likely to outperform the other teams. Can Danny Ric finally get a race win this season after team errors screwed him out of two?

Who will come out on top of the Merc battle this weekend? Can Kimi find the pace that Vettel has? All this and more on the next episode of, whats happening in F1 this week.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2016, 03:52:18 PM »
Too much hype about Red Bull if you ask me. Rosberg did top in FP2 and qualification and the race are totally different things. Plus there's a 100% chance on a safety car :)

Don't get me wrong; I would to see Verstappen win, I just don't want to get my hopes too high up, you know.

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2016, 10:44:04 PM »
Could be an interesting race. A few cars didn't have the best Q3 run. Danny Ric had an amazing Q1 run, but didn't have quite enough pace to match the Mercs in Q3. Still managed to qualify 2nd and on the super soft tyres. Vettel unlucky with whatever happened to his car to change it to a 3 wheeler.

Was listening to the guys in the practice sessions say this is traditionally a two stop race, although the introduction of the ultra soft tyre may force a 3 stop race. If the two Red Bulls can still use a two stop strategy and keep track position on a track which is hard to overtake on then it could throw a spanner in the mix. There is almost certain to a safety car as well which could change all teams strategies depending on when it occurs.

Looking forward to the race and I hope that Kimi and the Red Bulls can match the Mercs and make it a good race. We also need Danny Ric on the podium again for another shoey.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2016, 04:28:58 AM »
This is gonna be a strategic masterpiece with a few crashes :) (I hope)

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2016, 04:51:06 AM »
This is gonna be a strategic masterpiece with a few crashes :) (I hope)

So who are you hoping will crash? I kinda want Hamilton to go out just to prolong the battle of the Mercs and see how desperate he gets. Think it would make for good viewing. Vettel is also a risk as he'll be coming fast through the back of the pack through the traffic.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2016, 05:13:39 AM »
Anyone except Verstappen will do ;)

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
[Sports] Motor racing
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2016, 05:11:26 PM »
Wasn't a bad race but was boring at the front until the last 10 laps. I think the traffic killed Danny Rics momentum and another few laps it would of been interesting. Also would of liked to know just how bad that brake issue was and it really didn't seem to affect them as much as they claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2016, 04:47:00 PM »
Awesome moves from the Red Bulls 8) Vettel whining on the onboard radio (thumbsup2)

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2016, 05:22:38 PM »
Awesome moves from the Red Bulls 8) Vettel whining on the onboard radio (thumbsup2)

That was hilarious to watch. I'm a bit surprised we didn't hear anything about the investigation of Vettel for moving under braking. Given the recent talk and subsequent new ruling on this it seems weird that its not been enforced or even a "no further action warranted" message. Perhaps they are still investigating it after the podium, or perhaps they don't want to highlight it given the shitstorm that has already happened.
Good to see Sky giving it a bit of coverage and talk at the moment.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Adios, half soldier
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2016, 05:40:04 PM »
Freaking F1 fascists! Normally it takes them a full day to hand out a penalty, now it takes them 5 seconds... :(