Username: Password:

Author Topic: Introducing our Xbox Live Club!  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
  • Liked: 841
  • Awards Awarded to the user voted Best admin Awarded to the user voted Most helpful member Awarded to the user voted to have the Best contribution Awarded to the user voted Best staff member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Introducing our Xbox Live Club!
« on: September 10, 2016, 05:47:05 AM »
One of the major talking points from Microsoft at this years E3 press briefing was the announcement of Xbox Live Clubs, a built in Looking For Group functionality, and a tournament building function called Arena. Whilst Arena may still be a way away, the time has come for at least two of these new features, Clubs and Looking For Group. At this stage it is limited to those with the most recent Xbox Preview Program updates, but it will be rolling out to everyone out in the not too distant future.

So what is Looking For Group?

Microsoft debuted the Looking For Group (LFG) feature during their E3 press conference. The idea is that players will be able to post and search for ads to accomplish goals in different games.

LFG is handled by Xbox Live's game hubs system. Each game has its own 'hub' on Xbox Live, which allows developers to post updates on the game into a dedicated news feed. Players can follow games they like and receive updates directly into their own activity feed on Xbox One or the associated apps.

LFG will appear as a new tab under an individual game's hub. In the tab, ads will automatically populate as cards, complete with unique backgrounds based on the game. Ad creators will be able to give cards both suggested and specific tags. It's up to the ad creator to decide who will be accepted into the game upon application. When you've been accepted, you'll receive an actionable invite on Xbox Live and the associated Xbox apps. When the notification is selected, you'll automatically get pulled into the game and party relevant to the ad.

Some of the tags players can create include things like "no swearing allowed" and "skilled players only", but also things like "casual players encouraged." A player could create a Killer Instinct training party, for example, looking to help out new players get to grips with some of the game's more complex mechanics.

Looking For Group seems like a powerful, intuitive and quite frankly necessary feature for Xbox Live. It feels like a natural progression of the network, and crucially, it eliminates the need for developers to build some of these systems directly into their games. In theory, Microsoft has freed up a lot of development time with this system. Games like Elite Dangerous, which have no in-game LFG system, will benefit immeasurably from it.
Source

Okay, but what are Clubs?

Elite Dangerous and similar games will also benefit hugely from Clubs. This exciting new feature also enjoys its own tab in game hubs. Club owners can center their Club around a specific game or games, but also around specific activities or group ethos. Henshaw used the example of "parents who can only game after 10 pm", "mic required", "gender inclusive" and so on, as examples of tags people can attach to their Club, to seek like-minded players.

Like LFG, Clubs appear as cards under the relevant game hubs, allowing players to easily find and apply to join different groups. It'll ultimately be up to the Club owner and moderators to decide who joins the group, and it'll also be up to owners and moderators to remove trolls and toxic comments that appear in the group. The Xbox Live terms of service still apply as you'd expect, and any player can report content they deem offensive as usual.

Perhaps the coolest aspect of Clubs is that they also have a dedicated feed, allowing Club members to post game clips, content, and screenshots directly to showcase to the whole group. Additionally, Clubs will get chatrooms, accessible both on Xbox and via the iOS, Android, and Windows 10 apps.

Clubs almost feel like Slack for Xbox Live, allowing groups of like-minded players to band together, get organized and instantly create parties for venturing out online. Sea of Thieves developers Rare told me that Clubs and LFG will enhance their game as well, given the game's persistently connected nature.
Source

So what use will this to be us?

Ever wanted to play a game but couldn't find a good group that matched your needs? This will help. Using the tags you can easily find other like minded players. Want to play a bit of capture the bag? Tell it you're looking for that and watch other players who want to play that same game come flooding in.
Xbox Live's Major Nelson has already created two videos to help you get your head around it all. You can find them at these URLs:
https://beam.pro/majornelson?vod=260453
https://beam.pro/majornelson?vod=253072

Why are you telling us all this? Are you getting paid by Xbox?

I WISH! No, I'm not being paid. I'm simply a huge fan of these new features and think they will come in handy for us in particular. As such, I have created the official Red Dead Forums club. You can search for it and join up. From here you will be able to see all the other members, post stuff onto the feed, as well as anyone who is currently looking for a group.
I urge you to check it out as soon as you get the chance.

Any questions/comments feel free to post below.

Offline Mrs Marston

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 1213
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Introducing our Xbox Live Club!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 02:40:30 PM »
I hope this will be a good thing!  I'd like to try it out.

I do have the xbox preview but I can't find where to get it at...or is it not available just yet?

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
  • Awards Awarded to the user voted Best admin Awarded to the user voted Most helpful member Awarded to the user voted to have the Best contribution Awarded to the user voted Best staff member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Introducing our Xbox Live Club!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 04:53:35 PM »
Have you recently had the 4 gig update to your console? Otherwise try and update via the system menu.
If you have had the update, look for it on the right hand edge of the Community tab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mrs Marston

• Red River Resistance
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 05:11:54 PM »
I get console updates at least once or twice a week and they are around 400 - 500 MB.  I have never seen one with 4GB!

I updated the Xbox Preview, but I see nothing new.....yet. I'll keep looking.

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 05:22:12 PM »
Okay, it may not have rolled out to you yet. They are rolling it out to preview members in waves so maybe wait and see and just keep an eye on the big update and the Community tab for the clubs link. Its easy to miss, but its right under the part that says whats trending on Xbox (right hand column).

I'll try and send you an invite to the Club anyway and see if that helps anything.

Offline Mrs Marston

• Red River Resistance
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 07:05:47 PM »
Ah ha!  Just turned on the xbox aaaand it's time to update....a 4.1 GB update! So this should be it!  Looking forward to checking it out!

Offline Chalk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 08:43:05 PM »
Ah ha!  Just turned on the xbox aaaand it's time to update....a 4.1 GB update! So this should be it!  Looking forward to checking it out!

I'd like to say I can take the credit for that by sending an invite, but it probably just a coincidence. Ah, who cares, I'll take the credit anyway.