Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tips, Hints and Strategies  (Read 256 times)

Online Mrs Marston

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 1215
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Tips, Hints and Strategies
« on: October 28, 2018, 10:14:39 AM »
Do you have any quick tips or hints so far in your game play?

Let's try to keep them here for a quick reference....well, for anything in general....some things might need more of a lengthy discussion in a separate thread.

What I found was...if Arthur gets a little dirty, sweaty or bloody and you are too far from town or not near water....just change your clothes and get rid of that "guilty" look. You can save and keep 3 outfits on your horse.

Offline VMB-TAN

• Carson, Bill Carson
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 5499
  • Adios, half soldier
  • Awards Best Contributor 2014
    • View Profile
    • my YouTube Channel
    • Awards
Re: Tips, Hints and Strategies
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 11:36:47 AM »
Guilty? Does appearance affect you in any way?

Offline DangerGirl33

• Mademoiselle Dangereuse
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 926
  • Let's get decadent
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 12:29:33 PM »
To help with discovering animals, use the binoculars.  They'll often trigger you to "learn" and you don't have to be so close that you scare them away.  Sometimes you have to zoom to be actually able to learn, but I was able to discover quite a few birds today.

Oh I also found out you can swim!  I shot a seagull and it fell in the water.  I went to retrieve it and ended up in water too deep and all of a sudden I was swimming.  I couldn't pick up the bird, but was able to push it close enough to shore that when the water was shallow enough to stand, I could pick it up.
This sure beats milking cows!

Online Alphapug

• That is not dead which can eternal lie. Mad Men
  • Mad Men
  • Liked: 1131
  • Mad Men Ambassador and Crew Leader
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 01:25:05 PM »
Regarding swimming: it wears you out fast!

Online Mrs Marston

• Red River Resistance
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 07:03:52 PM »
Guilty? Does appearance affect you in any way?

Yes...for example, if you have blood on your clothes as you walk thru town, the townsfolk will get suspicious of you. NPC's are smart in this game!

Offline UvS Atlantis

• A free hunter.
  • Liked: 158
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 05:16:00 AM »
Do you have any quick tips or hints so far in your game play?

Let's try to keep them here for a quick reference....well, for anything in general....some things might need more of a lengthy discussion in a separate thread.

What I found was...if Arthur gets a little dirty, sweaty or bloody and you are too far from town or not near water....just change your clothes and get rid of that "guilty" look. You can save and keep 3 outfits on your horse.

So how do I put some clothes onto the horse? I fear to freeze when going up the mountains.
OLD Riflehand

Online Alphapug

• Mad Men
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »
At your tent where you change clothes you can look at outfits and select which ones go on your horse. I think you already have outfits for hot, normal, and cold weather. If you don’t have one it will warn you before you leave.

Offline UvS Atlantis

• A free hunter.
  • Liked: 158
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 11:16:15 AM »
Allright thanks, I reall didnt saw it
OLD Riflehand

Online Mrs Marston

• Red River Resistance
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 11:44:42 AM »
Also, which is very strange to me, is that when you want to change clothes out in the wilderness or wherever, you have to be near your horse but not too close and obviously not far. When you open your weapon wheel, look at the options up top it should say....weapons, items, horse and your outfits will be under the horse tab. All this time I'm trying to look for clothes when I'm right near the horse. It really doesn't make sense, but oh well....

Also, think I've mentioned this somewhere before about searching EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING....but along my travels if I've killed another NPC or find a lone horse....check the saddle bags (both sides) for stuff. You might have to sweet-talk the horse for a bit before you can go near it...some get mad and kick you.

Edit:  Ok, I was wrong....You CAN change your clothes when you are on your horse!  When you open the weapon wheel all three options come up....weapons, items and horse. Kinda wish they didn't make it this complicated...but it's still early, I imagine we will all be pros half-way thru the game and hopefully by the time Red Dead Online gets here!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:17:06 PM by Mrs Marston »

Offline Ferguson99

• Liked: 828
  • Awards Most Likely to Get Bucked From Horse
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »
The Arabian White Coat

After losing in a race back to the camp with Dutch, I went and done some research on where to find his mount.

Don't how true it is, about there only being one in the whole game that spawns...….West on the Western banks of Lake Isabella.

I did find it and crouched down edging up holding square to calm it, then as soon as i was close enough  to get on it, with gentle work on the left thumb stick. But it started to get tricky, eventually got thrown off.

So i tracked it and found it again to have another go, but no luck......  i think this horse is extra rare with there being  only 1 and therefore made more difficult to break.

After 4 attempts i lost it, not around anywhere.  completely gone.

Offline TheDandyManCan

• Hypo-Lethal Vector
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 653
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 02:56:17 PM »
Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but you can skip the skinning animation sometimes by parking your steed atop your target. Sort of like how in RDR1 it would instantskin if the carcass was in a weird spot.

You can stow one large carcass (deer, buck, etc.) two small ones on the side (rabbits, turkeys) and I think fill up the rest of the Horse Cargo slots with pelts. You can even stow the pelts if you already have a large carcass, Arthur will slode them underneath. Helps to build up to a big haul for the butcher.

Looting bodies usually provides trinkets and jewelry which you could fence at a... a fence, but I find that I'm at my camp much more often, and so I just donate the items to the fund. Frees me from having to pay up as much, too. You guys probably already do this, though.

You can craft Split Point ammunition at campfires that seems to be more accurate and apparently decreases the Dead Eye cost when in use. Not sure if there are any drawbacks. All you need is normal ammunition, too. Would probably take a couple of minutes to make a good amount, so just clamp down on X/A and go get a drink?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 03:02:59 PM by TheDandyManCan »

I love it.

Offline Ferguson99

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 01:43:47 PM »
This counts as a "tip or strategy"  I found my little hiding spot, should I stumble into a free roam session with Mr silebyboy.

Online Alphapug

• Mad Men
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 02:29:13 PM »
Splitting your ammo is child’s play. You need to get on my level.
Show content for Hiden:

Online Mrs Marston

• Red River Resistance
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 01:14:28 PM »
If you're lazy, like me....you will love this interactive RDR2 world map. Shows locations for everything! Whoever made this did an amazing job! It is most likely still being updated.

https://rdr2map.com/

Offline Ferguson99

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 09:15:48 AM »
We don't have to purchase goods  in-game................We can use the Social Club, guns & ammo, cloths, food.

That will make things much easier, no unnessary traveling to stock up on supplys.
while on our real life routine
of work, school or retirement
activities we can prepare the gameplay
by not being on the game

Purchase items on the SC and they will be delivered in game when we load up.