Username: Password:

Author Topic: Did some testing to find the bravest horse breed  (Read 201 times)

Offline Floater

• Liked: 37
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Did some testing to find the bravest horse breed
« on: November 21, 2018, 01:07:14 AM »
It pissed me off that my supposedly loyal travel companion bucked me off for sometimes no discernible reason, so I did some testing. I took every so-called top tier horse and rode through legions of alligators, let myself get attacked by wolves, cougars and bears.
My findings are that you can forget Arabians when it comes to bravery (duh). The other two top breeds (Missouri Foxtrotter and Turkoman) were so so... sometimes they bucked me off, sometimes they didn't.
The best ones I found were the Paint, the Andalusian and the Ardennes. By far the best however was the Mustang. Didn't run away when the Grizzly in that one cabin came charging out the door that I was right in front of and didn't buck me off when I deliberately rode her into a group of four alligators.
Yes, she's not the fastest (only at 7 with the best stirrups and the race bonus) and doesn't have the most health but I don't care, she's my main horse now.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:13:31 AM by Floater »

Offline Kazzy

• Rockstar Gamers
  • Liked: 3130
  • Midas Touch
  • Awards Best GFX 2014 Best graphics artist
    • View Profile
    • Red Dead Fan
    • Awards
Re: Did some testing to find the bravest horse breed
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 01:19:26 AM »
It pissed me off that my supposedly loyal travel companion bucked me off for sometimes no discernible reason, so I did some testing. I took every so-called top tier horse and rode through legions of alligators, let myself get attacked by wolves, cougars and bears.
My findings are that you can forget Arabians when it comes to bravery (duh). The other two top breeds (Missouri Foxtrotter and Turkoman) were so so... sometimes they bucked me off, sometimes they didn't.
The best ones I found were the Paint, the Andalusian and the Ardennes. By far the best however was the Mustang. Didn't run away when the Grizzly in that one cabin came charging out the door that I was right in front of and didn't buck me off when I deliberately rode her into a group of four alligators.
Yes, she's not the fastest (only at 7 with the best stirrups and the race bonus) and doesn't have the most health but I don't care, she's my main horse now.

Ha! That’s great to know, my darn horse is suck a sook, he gets me into all sorts of trouble!

Offline Alphapug

• That is not dead which can eternal lie. Mad Men
  • Mad Men
  • Liked: 1203
  • Mad Men Ambassador and Crew Leader
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 08:10:08 AM »
The Ardennes should be brave since it’s the pre-order bonus war horse.

Offline floofgoofer

• TWO
  • Liked: 1937
  • When I think about you... I pull RT
  • Awards Best username
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 12:25:34 AM »
I've settled in with the thoroughbred, great speed and less nervous than the turkoman , some war horse that is.  Thanks for the testing, sounds like you spent a lot of time.  I wish the stable could hold more than 3 horses.

Offline will136

• Saddle Tramp
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 1076
  • as long as we get paid or you get shot, I'm happy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 08:42:20 AM »
hummm ... i don't need more than 4 horses ... i need to be able to set 1 or 2 as pack animals for hunting ... i know you can tame wild horses to do this ... but it would make more sense to be able to use your owned animals for this ...

Offline Craigyroo

• New gen zen(^_^)
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 5693
  • Stranger thing.
  • Awards PS3 Online Pro Best signature Awarded to the member judged to have the best MP secret
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 12:30:03 PM »
I've settled in with the thoroughbred, great speed and less nervous than the turkoman , some war horse that is.  Thanks for the testing, sounds like you spent a lot of time.  I wish the stable could hold more than 3 horses.

Apparently my fourth horse is in a stable called “glue factory”?
<-- Click to view live stream of my gameplay.

Offline Floater

• Liked: 37
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 11:08:02 PM »
I've now done tests of courage with all 19 horse breeds. The best horse in general is, in my opinion, the Missouri Foxtrotter. It's not the bravest, but it doesn't flee its own shadow either. Plus, it's the fastest and has the best endurance.

In terms of bravery, there are two clear winners: the Mustang, as said before, and the Appaloosa. The Mustang took the longest to freak out and buck me off (alligators, wolves, bear attacks) but it also needed quite some time to calm down after and return to me. The Appaloosa was the easiest to handle under stress and calmed down very quickly.

To my surprise, 2 War Horses turned out to be cowards. The Hungarian Halfbred and the Andalusian (which contradicts my first post). Both bucked me off in situations where the Appaloosa/Mustang/Missouri Foxtrotter didn't even flinch.

Other surprises: the Turkoman is a coward and the Suffolk Punch is quite brave.