Username: Password:

Author Topic: My first impressions of online  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Floater

• Liked: 38
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: My first impressions of online
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2018, 05:09:55 PM »
Trying not to be a Negative Nancy here, but it seems that they cut out almost everything I love about the first game.

- No Free Aim lobbies? Are you kidding me? And they don't even have the decency to state this somewhere. If it stays like this, I'm out.
- A lot of grinding I don't care about. I want to get in, play a couple FFAs or TDMs and get out.
- Characters look awful, even with all the tweaking.
- They are pushing the microtransactions hard. It's annoying.

Plus, everything Craigyroo said.

Offline Ferguson99

• Valentine Sheriff
  • Liked: 930
  • Awards Most Likely to Get Bucked From Horse
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2018, 05:11:10 PM »
Stuff party chat...… we are old skool RDR players, Game Chat is still the best.

Hate players who hide themselves away in private chat...... at least lets hear you, if you are gonna get endless kill streak on me.

Offline will136

• Saddle Tramp
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 1082
  • as long as we get paid or you get shot, I'm happy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2018, 08:34:57 PM »
well folks seems i'll not be playing any RDR2 online ... for 2 days now i've been trying to complete the Honor among horse thieves mission to get into online free roam ... each time getting disconnected with the error code 0x21002001 ... seems my ISP can't handle the task ... not Rockstars fault ... anyway at this time my ISP says they can't help an other options either don't exist or are too expensive ... so have fun everybody and i'll keep searching for a solution ...

Offline outlawfisherman

• TWO
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 2785
  • Awards Best Mod 2014 Most Helpful 2014 Most like John Marston
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2018, 08:38:38 PM »
well folks seems i'll not be playing any RDR2 online ... for 2 days now i've been trying to complete the Honor among horse thieves mission to get into online free roam ... each time getting disconnected with the error code 0x21002001 ... seems my ISP can't handle the task ... not Rockstars fault ... anyway at this time my ISP says they can't help an other options either don't exist or are too expensive ... so have fun everybody and i'll keep searching for a solution ...

I’m sure they will fix it.  It took me a good week to get into gta online.

Offline will136

• Saddle Tramp
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 1082
  • as long as we get paid or you get shot, I'm happy
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2018, 08:59:18 PM »
pretty sure Rockstar isn't going to rebuild the game to run at slower internet speeds ... lol ... my ISP speed tests show that it doesn't meet the minimum requirements to play the online game ... just that simple ... now the funny thing is that my ISP about 2 or 3 months ago offered to up my service speed and sent a tech out to do the work ... the tech told me that in order for my speed upgrade to happen that it would require a new service line to be run because this one had been repaired too many times ... long story short my ISP will not foot the bill for a new service line to be run ... didn't tell me how much it would cost but i'm sure i couldn't afford it ...

Offline The Jester

• Slasher
  • Rockstar Gamers
  • Liked: 5747
  • You're a Noob
    • View Profile
    • Rockstar Gamers
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2018, 11:21:23 PM »
I just got done with my first 2 hours. Very unsatisfying. Gang matches stink. So disappointed. I just don't get how they could have mucked it up this badly.

"The blood stays on the blade"

Offline DethPimp

• Mad Men
  • Liked: 1394
  • I am Mad as Hell!
  • Awards Best Writer 2014 Best moderator Best writer Awarded to the user voted as the Most likely to get bucked from his horse
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2018, 11:48:02 PM »
Gang matches feel more like Max Payne than RDR. The characters seem smaller (maybe optimised for 4K screens?) and the maps have no structure - like they copied the old tumbleweed  PVP map - which everyone hated - instead of Tesoro - which everybody loved. Plus, they need to bring back the opening shoot outs which were essential to the vibe of the thing. And where's my roll? (I'm confused about this. Sometimes I roll, but usually just dive to the ground).

I'd be surprised if there isn't a dlc of the old PVP maps. (but no Tesoro because no Mexico :()

Offline Craigyroo

• New gen zen(^_^)
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 5698
  • Stranger thing.
  • Awards Best signature PS3 Online Pro Awarded to the member judged to have the best MP secret
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2018, 01:48:52 AM »
I just got done with my first 2 hours. Very unsatisfying. Gang matches stink. So disappointed. I just don't get how they could have mucked it up this badly.

Again 100% agreed.

I really am trying not be negative but they had the very best foundation for MP with RDR but instead of building off that they used GTAV (which I hated) to base their online gameplay on.
<-- Click to view live stream of my gameplay.

Offline Ferguson99

• Valentine Sheriff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2018, 05:15:40 PM »
Online mode has been a nightmare today,  as its the day the rest of the world as access to RDO...… my game kept on crashing.  where the game shut down and suggested filing a report of the incident.

YAY Blue screens are back...… not seen them since GTAO.

Offline TheDandyManCan

• The Good Brotherski
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 666
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2018, 05:23:44 PM »
This is a repost of something I wrote on Reddit after playing some gang matches.

"I know that Dead Eye functioned pretty much the same in RDR1, and I'm willing to consider recency bias, but I feel that DE really makes the PvP combat cheesy and unfun. Shooting manually feels basically impossible with the combination of first-person movement (like sniper battles in GTAO), slow-firing weapons, crazy bloom that forces you to space shots out by seconds, and the general clunkiness of free aiming in this game. Thus, people are just going to equip Paint It Black and chug tonics. Since those tonics are available to you in PvP modes like Most Wanted, it becomes a game of who had more tonics at the start and who can wiggle their stick across someones head to paint a shot first.

Again, this was an element of RDR1 as well, but in multiplayer, Dead Eye was a bit harder to get. You had to find boxes om the map or rack up kills, and the counterplay to those two options is to guard and take the boxes yourself, or to just kill the enemy, respectively. You can't control how many tonics the other guy has, you just have to hope you have more, and then bite the bullet by paying for more. All PvP modes should have standard loadouts and no tonics at all, IMO, but failing that, everyone should just get a preset amount of ammo, tonics, etc. like in RDR1. Nothing was wrong with that system."

Now, I'm fairly certain that my opinion was tainted by having played against AA players while playing FA myself, which is honestly even worse, but I still think that once the lobbies are separated that DE will be way too decisive in PvP, whereas in RDR1 is was definitely helpful but not so easily available.

Oh, and by the way, they seriously added fucking Star Cards to this game? I have to pick a DE Card to paint targets? Why the hell would anyone pick anything else? One of the last passive cards at rank 40 or something straight up lets you eat one headshot if you have a hat on. That's just bullshit.

Offline outlawfisherman

• TWO
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 2785
  • Awards Best Mod 2014 Most Helpful 2014 Most like John Marston
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2018, 05:53:58 PM »
Pvp truly needs a lot of work and I hope they’re listening.

Offline Mrs Marston

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 1370
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2018, 06:00:55 PM »
I have not tried any PvP modes yet and I'm sorry to hear all of your disappointed reviews. We have waited so long for this game and now it seems to be a big let down. Maybe they will improve on things...maybe we are comparing it too much with the old RDR. I don't know....I, too am trying my best not to be negative and give it some time.  Shooting mechanics are worse than GTA I think. Why does the screen wobble when you are in conflict?

I was just trying to loot a house today (well I actually found it to be a farming thing) and got myself into a 1v5!   :o So, I got my feet wet with a good shootout and knife kills are very satisfying as well!  They all raged quit after a while so I'm feeling real good about myself.   ;D 8)

Offline DangerGirl33

• Mademoiselle Dangereuse
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 954
  • Let's get decadent
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2018, 06:23:55 PM »
I have to be completely honest...without private free roam or a large group of friends online to play with, I have zero interest in MP.  Getting repeatedly shot while trying to complete a simple challenge does nothing but piss me off.
This sure beats milking cows!

Offline Ferguson99

• Valentine Sheriff
    • View Profile
    • Awards
My first impressions of online
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2018, 06:38:03 PM »
Random players think it’s just about the shooting..... oh look another player, better kill them.

I just want to get shit  done, build a life for my online character like in GTAO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Registration

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 2022
  • Awards Worst username
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2018, 07:24:42 PM »
I guess what sums it all up for me is that I wish I was playing RDR1.

Having said that, I do think a lot of things regards PvP can be fixed, it’s more a question of will they.

For a start, maps are far too big. Like Bill said above, there is no structure to them. Tumbleweed was big in RDR1, it’s about x3 the size now with the spawns they’ve made (it also seems like weapon range has been reduced, so the size is amplified). Spawns seem to be way more spaced out than before. For example, I was expecting a Armadillo-esque match when I played Valentine, but instead the match was played in the surrounding fields. It’s like playing in Armadillo but nobody uses the Main Street or two side paths, just the surrounding desert. And this makes a lot of maps feel the same, since your just playing in fields.

Secondly, some of the game modes. “Name Your Weapon” is terrible, and I would love to see it removed and replaced with the bag games from RDR1(Hold Your Own, Grab the Bag, and whatever the FFA one was called). I do like the Domination type game mode, but it’s mad how little I’ve got to play a normal FFA or Team death match. The Battle Royal modes shouldn’t be put in the normal Showdown Series. Kind of frustrating when your having fun with a quick succession of games than have to spectate for 10 mins when you die straight away. And I like Most Wanted, but does it really have to come up so often. I genuinely don’t think there is a normal FFA mode. There should be a vote to skip and vote to replay, and matches should be 10 minutes as opposed to 7(?).

Health regen should be quicker to encourage faster paced gameplay, and tonics and dead eye should be put on the map as opposed to bought. Like Fishermen said, the fact that you don’t get given ammo when you die is mad. It isn’t as big an issue as I thought it would be, but there has been a few matches when I’m wondering why my repeater isn’t shooting, only to realize I’ve 0, and have been forced to use my pistol for the rest.

But I think the main issue with the PvP, and something the definetily has made me think the PvP is worse than it is, is the weapons. I’ve played every match with a Cattleman revolver and Carbine Repeater. Anyone who played RDR1 avoided those weapons like the plague. And I didn’t realize how much it was tainting my experience until I got a Springfield Rifle, and it felt amazing. The flick up on shots is a bit slower than before, but it still felt amazing, like I was playing the old one.

So I think if they make maps smaller, and standardize weapons and stats in PvP it will address a lot of our concerns. But I don’t think they will standardize weapons, cause the experience is built so you buy micro transactions.

Things they can’t fix, now. I was looking at some old Red Dead videos today, and it’s true, RDR2 is much clunkier, and doesn’t feel as fluid as RDR1, although I still love it when I get a good weapon. And I did like the dive originally, but looking back, the roll was such a key part of RDR1, and not having it definitely changes the experience. The general feel to it is the only thing that can’t be fixed(not as good as Red Dead, but still pretty good), and I don’t think the weapons will be fixed.

Sorry for the thesis, but that’d be my thoughts on the PVP for the most part 📓 I think it’ll grow on a lot of us if R* listen, and it is a beta, so they are taking feedback, so I recommend we all send our concerns onto them. I think we all know what players want from PvP for the most part, no harm letting R* know

Offline Floater

• Liked: 38
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2018, 12:03:48 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBjUmfZCLbk

What this guy says sums up my thoughts very well. Brutal grind, pushing the microtransactions hard and no Free Aim and Friendly lobbies. I don't think they can/want to fix all of this. Therefore I think I'm done. This is not the Red Dead I fell in love with. Guess I'll have to wait for The Last Of Us 2.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:14:24 AM by Floater »

Offline CyborgNinjaCowboy

• I'm your huckleberry.
  • Liked: 203
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2018, 12:42:04 AM »
Young Bonnie can get it
Apples taste good and you can throw them if your being attacked
PSN:Bassman32590

Offline RRR PapaBear

• Power to the People
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 726
  • Knowlegde is Free; We Are Legion
  • Awards Biggest perv Most missed member Awarded to the user voted Biggest perv
    • View Profile
    • http://anabolic1977@hotmail.com
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2018, 05:17:43 AM »
Played till five in the morning last night. Did PVP and when everyone left i was playing with from the forums here, i did some online gang hide out story missions thinking i could rack up experience and money. My opinions are about the same as everyone else. However, i wont give up on it so quickly. I will give it a couple months and a couple of DLCs. But even still regardless of all my negatives, the game is fun in its own way but its not RDR1 that is for sure and at this point will never compare because like others said, there is no way rockstar can or address all these issues. And i dont see me playing this for 2 to 3 years like RDR1. With that said, playing all night got me in the mood to bust out rdr1. I truely miss it having played rdr2 most of the night.

I totally agree with the guy in floater's youtube video. I played till 5am and only acuired 214 dollars. I played all night and still cant afford a better weapon. In playing all night, i ended up buying ammo for my repeater 4 times. Yes, im a repeater and rifle whore. That leads me into my second fuss, i miss my henry and evans repeater. Here are my other issues most of which im sure others in this thread already mentioned.

Maps are way too big with respawn points a mile away it seems like. I felt i spent half my time running and looking for folks.

I dont like how all the PVP modes are combined together. Again this maybe a beta thing but i hope they seperate the modes instead of small and large. Most of the modes i really dont care for. Most wanted is fun but but its not RDR1 FFA. Being the most wanted in a mode where the minimap does no justice like in the first game (im 50/50 on the minimap, it can be good or bad but i do miss the rdr1 minimap) so most wanted can get insane and fun but its no rdr1 FFA thats for sure. I also like the terrority grab match, reminds me of stronghold but even still its no stronghold. I dont care for the modes of 4 teams of 4. None of these modes/matches even compare to FFA, 8 vs 8 gang matches, or stronghold, not one in my opinion. No bag matches suck as well. There is a bag match in a mode called king of the hill but i didnt care for it. One guy has one bag and all other players are gunning for him, really didnt care for it.

I dont care for tackling in the middle of a match. It gets old especially when players tackle and thats all they do cause they suck at headshots.

Other small or already stated issues:

I miss the roll and the dive will never compare to the roll but its kind of starting to grow on me. The dive makes it more realistic, no one is gonna roll 50 times in a less than 15 minute real life shootout. And like the roll, the dive still allows u to lock-on to ur foe and u can activate dead eye in ur dive but it slows down the game pace. The roll was more smooth and matched the flow of the game. The dive takes a few seconds to recover and get back on ur feet. This is a minor issue, i miss the roll but im getting the hang of the dive.

No private lobby sucks.

I dont think the playing field is fair. In rdr1 a noob has a chance of taking down level 50 players if his skills are right but in this one there is no chance. There is no way a level 1 thru 10 could match a level 20 due to this weapon and money system. A generic carbine repeater vs a bolt action , yeah ok. New players over the next year may get frustrated by this.

After playing all night and now that im slowly getting used to it, i dont mind it, its fun in its own way but its not rdr1. Like i said above, at the end of the night i was in the mood for rdr1. I even woke up thinking about rdr1 so much that i dug my old classic rdr1 out. I will give it a couple of months but i maybe ready to go back and see how populated rdr1 is. I believe it was fisherman or pug who told me that rdr1 looks great on the xbox one and the servers are still populated. I will give rdr2 a chance, like i said its fun in its own right but after a couple of months ladies and gents, this old bear may move back to rdr1 or at least i may bounce back and forth between the two.

Overall, the game is not bad. Having to buy ammo bothered me at first but it adds to the realism of the game like the dive.  But when a part 2 of a game makes u go to sleep and wake up thinking about the first game, thats not good. I even woke up this morning and dug rdr1 out of a moving box, the game is sitting next to xbox as i speak. But im not giving up on rdr2 so quickly but when one of u or two or three says to me lets play rdr1, i will be ready.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 06:26:05 AM by SFC PapaBear »

RDR 2 Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPNqF-O7LvOqRZLcY0ny5

Offline Registration

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 2022
  • Awards Worst username
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2018, 05:47:01 AM »
It is a beta, and if they listen to feedback it’ll improve a lot.
If they don’t and nothing comes of it, at least it’ll might regrow interest in RDR1. Even I’m thinking of getting the ol’ 360 out, so it’d be cool if it could boost that community if nothing good comes of the actual game.

Offline RRR PapaBear

• Power to the People
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 726
  • Knowlegde is Free; We Are Legion
  • Awards Biggest perv Most missed member Awarded to the user voted Biggest perv
    • View Profile
    • http://anabolic1977@hotmail.com
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2018, 06:00:37 AM »
Even I’m thinking of getting the ol’ 360 out, so it’d be cool if it could boost that community if nothing good comes of the actual game.

Bro, i agree! It is the beta and rockstar is loyal to its fans. Im confident that things may get fixed which is why i will give it a couple of months and DLCs.

Anyway, about ur above comment i quoted. Im new to xbox one but there is no need for u to break out the 360. RDR1 will play on xbox one. And i agree with u, if anything this may spark interest for players to jump back into rdr1. Saying that, the good thing for me is since all my achievements were on xbox 360, playing RDR1 on xbox one will allow me to build back up and start from level 1 🤔
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 06:27:22 AM by SFC PapaBear »

RDR 2 Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPNqF-O7LvOqRZLcY0ny5