Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tired of hearing “the varmint rifle is OP” (rant)  (Read 731 times)

Online outlawfisherman

• TWO
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 2785
  • Awards Best Mod 2014 Most Helpful 2014 Most like John Marston
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Tired of hearing “the varmint rifle is OP” (rant)
« on: December 22, 2018, 12:10:55 PM »
For starters, people have historically said this when they get killed by something in online gaming.  Sometimes it’s true, usually every game has people bitching about a weapon.

But there’s logic behind my opinion - the varmint rifle is the only decent rifle, the others just suck.  This is RDR, where the headshot has traditionally reigned supreme over all.  This is how it was in RDR and this is the one mechanic that needed to return.  If people are coming from other games and don’t understand this one key fact then they are already misled. 

Any other rifle has this accuracy feature that drastically effects how accurate you are.  You can be dead target but your bullet can still miss anywhere within that outer circle.  Even if you let it shrink it can still be bigger than the head and thus miss whenever it feels like it.  There’s no consistency to this.  The varmint rifle is simply true accuracy.  It goes where you fire it.  IMO anyone mad at the varmint rifle for being OP simply doesn’t understand the RDR headshot mechanic.  It’s supposed to be a one shot kill and you should be in control of your own accuracy.  Which is what the varmint rifle represents. 

It still has range limitations, and personally I think the concept of over powered, if taken literally, isn’t even close to describing the varmint as you can literally pump 10 body shots in someone and they can survive.  It’s only advantage boils down to accuracy. 

Why anyone would want to mess with the one accurate rifle and have them just like the rest is beyond me.  There are plenty of issues with RDR2 online, this shouldn’t even be thought of as one of them.  If anything the rest of the guns should be slightly more accurate.  The headshot gameplay is the bread and butter of RDR.  That and deadeye, which they’ve already bastardized.  Let’s not turn this game fully into GTA.

[/rant]

Offline Dirty Coyote

• Liked: 41
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Tired of hearing “the varmint rifle is OP” (rant)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 01:13:04 PM »
I'm not gonna lie. I bitch about the varmint riffle!

I mean, to each his own, it's just not my thing.

I wonder if Rockstar will patch/nerf it though?

No disrespect mister fisherman, but I won't exactly be crying tears if they do. lol 

Offline Ferguson99

• Valentine Sheriff
  • Liked: 930
  • Awards Most Likely to Get Bucked From Horse
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 01:19:26 PM »
People realise now, that they need to use precise targeting...….. rather then coming off Twat Ops or Cattlefield where its automatic weapons that spray over you.

Offline floofgoofer

• TWO
  • Liked: 1952
  • When I think about you... I pull RT
  • Awards Best username
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 03:19:47 PM »
It’s only advantage boils down to accuracy.

It also has a large ammo capacity, and it has the fastest fire rate.  You can even put a scope on it. The only time it doesn't beat other weapons is hip firing or hunting animals.  Everyone who doesn't use it is at a disadvantage in PvP.  Usually matching weapon to playstyle is paramount, not in RDRO.

It is definitely op, imho, fwiw, ymmv.  :D

Online outlawfisherman

• TWO
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 2785
  • Awards Best Mod 2014 Most Helpful 2014 Most like John Marston
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 03:49:20 PM »
You can slow the fire rate and the reload and lower the ammo capacity and I would still whoop ass with it.   And you could raise the fire rate and capacity on the others and they would still blow.

Offline Ferguson99

• Valentine Sheriff
  • Liked: 930
  • Awards Most Likely to Get Bucked From Horse
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 04:16:42 PM »
He's a bit full of himself  :-\

Offline utb1528

• Gunslinger
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 285
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 11:28:07 PM »
Agreed.  Fix the other guns and leave the varmint rifle alone.
Proud trainee at the Vegeta Boot Camp.
100% Completion RDR and UN

Offline floofgoofer

• TWO
  • Awards Best username
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 02:11:35 AM »
They need to do something .  Like the old game, specific pickups on each map, something like that.  I want to use a variety of weapons, not be forced to use one without giving away a huge advantage. 

Offline UnWrappedLemon8

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 35
  • F*#k the RB button!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 04:54:35 AM »
This player is using the bolt action rifle against a player using the varmint rifle with the slow and steady dead eye card (first level) enabled.  I am not sure what other cards they have but, it is just a bit over the top right?  3 headshots at least?
The guns are NOT overpowered.......the cards are!

https://youtu.be/1hhJeIhsLpg

If you can’t beat em, join em! 🙏👍🏻 So I’m gonna try out different combos, why not?

Found it in a post on reddit 🤣
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 05:14:04 AM by UnWrappedLemon8 »
Ability Cards??  They don't matter if you have NO ability!

Offline floofgoofer

• TWO
  • Awards Best username
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 11:37:44 AM »
Essentially slow and steady removes the headshot 'bonus damage'.  It definitely breaks the varmint rifle, but you can still be one-shot with a shotgun for example.

That card combination is slow and steady, eye for an eye(gives deadeye when you headshot), and unblinking eye (slows the rate deadeye and eagle eye degrade).  Fourth card optional.

Offline RRR PapaBear

• Power to the People
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 726
  • Knowlegde is Free; We Are Legion
  • Awards Biggest perv Most missed member Awarded to the user voted Biggest perv
    • View Profile
    • http://anabolic1977@hotmail.com
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 06:19:46 AM »
Essentially slow and steady removes the headshot 'bonus damage'.  It definitely breaks the varmint rifle, but you can still be one-shot with a shotgun for example.

That card combination is slow and steady, eye for an eye(gives deadeye when you headshot), and unblinking eye (slows the rate deadeye and eagle eye degrade).  Fourth card optional.

I really want that slow and steay but to effectively use  it sounds like u need 2 to 3 other cards which i dont want to use that many cards just for slow steady. What i need to do is find out the best way to counter slow and steady.

My current ability card load out is as followed:
1. Paint it black (level 3)
2. Come back stronger (level 2)
3. Winning streak (level 3)
4. And i just swapped a card for take one headshot (level 1)

Any pvp players have any advice on my current layout? What would u get rid of or what am i wasting my time using?

I would swap take one headshot but i dont want to lose any other card to add 2 or 3 just for slow and steady.

Im curious to hear other ability card layouts and if folks are G2G with what they have 🤔

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 05:37:46 AM by RRR PapaBear »

RDR 2 Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPNqF-O7LvOqRZLcY0ny5

Offline RRR PapaBear

• Power to the People
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 726
  • Knowlegde is Free; We Are Legion
  • Awards Biggest perv Most missed member Awarded to the user voted Biggest perv
    • View Profile
    • http://anabolic1977@hotmail.com
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 05:46:47 AM »
The springfield is no joke. Fuck yall's varmint. Im trying to figure out how i can fire a shot against u varmint noobs (craigy, floof, fish, utb, lemon, casteyn, violentgent, and anyone else; miss my shot and do my sexy spinning,  dancing, dodging, diving, ballerina moves, reload, and still kill yall 😂🤗

But for real, this springfield is no joke, highly recommended. But i only recommend it to those who have sexy swag skills because u only get one shot then reload. Not sure if u varmint noobs can handle that 😂🤣

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:55:01 AM by RRR PapaBear »

RDR 2 Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPNqF-O7LvOqRZLcY0ny5

Offline utb1528

• Gunslinger
  • Red River Resistance
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 11:54:49 PM »
I've joined the Springfield cult.   

Offline UnWrappedLemon8

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 35
  • F*#k the RB button!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 01:38:28 AM »
The springfield is no joke. Fuck yall's varmint. Im trying to figure out how i can fire a shot against u varmint noobs (craigy, floof, fish, utb, lemon, casteyn, violentgent, and anyone else; miss my shot and do my sexy spinning,  dancing, dodging, diving, ballerina moves, reload, and still kill yall 😂🤗

But for real, this springfield is no joke, highly recommended. But i only recommend it to those who have sexy swag skills because u only get one shot then reload. Not sure if u varmint noobs can handle that 😂🤣

I have given the springfield a go too.  I like it, sounds better than the bolt action, but I really need a DLC for a western type of rocket launcher! That would mess you and the varmint users up!

Then again I will probably just blow myself up with it.
Ability Cards??  They don't matter if you have NO ability!

Offline Craigyroo

• New gen zen(^_^)
  • Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 5698
  • Stranger thing.
  • Awards Best signature PS3 Online Pro Awarded to the member judged to have the best MP secret
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 09:34:45 AM »

I might try the bow and arrow.

I have given the springfield a go too.  I like it, sounds better than the bolt action, but I really need a DLC for a western type of rocket launcher! That would mess you and the varmint users up!

Then again I will probably just blow myself up with it.
<-- Click to view live stream of my gameplay.

Offline Alphapug

• That is not dead which can eternal lie. Mad Men
  • Mad Men
  • Liked: 1245
  • Mad Men Ambassador and Crew Leader
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 01:31:36 PM »
I think the main issue is that PVP balance is not on Rockstar’s radar at all. Savvy players will always exploit advantages in games. It’s up to the developer to notice these advantages and determine what should be done. Some are left in because it requires skill, some are patched out because they’re cheap exploits. Believe it or not, other games are tinkered with all the time because weapon A is used in 75% of all kills, or the team spawning on the hill wins 62% of the time or one spawn is always getting camped by long range weapons they’ll place trees in front or similar. I’ve seen no evidence that Rockstar devs have ever changed things in PVP for any reason. I think the weapons were made for single player and if they heard that the varmint is king the reaction would be a shrug. The first game was great because of set load outs plus pickups. I’m still hoping we’ll be able to create custom matches.

Offline ComeAtMeBrah

• LORD - Legends of Red Dead
  • Liked: 953
  • Awards Best at RDR 2014 Worst member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 06:05:13 PM »
I’ve seen no evidence that Rockstar devs have ever changed things in PVP for any reason.

They did nerf the Mini 30 in MP3.  That was like 6-7 yrs ago but still.😂

I don't have a problem with any weapon on RDR2 but I think some of the abilities are overpowered and need nerfed/removed.  I don't expect it to happen though.

Offline Alphapug

• That is not dead which can eternal lie. Mad Men
  • Mad Men
  • Liked: 1245
  • Mad Men Ambassador and Crew Leader
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 09:59:14 PM »
Shit, I forgot about that one. The thing is that the PVP games are just a small part of the MP game, which is just a part of the whole game. It’s the part we all like, but plenty of players never even dip a toe. I just don’t think they put much focus on it. The free roam world is more of a concern for them.

Offline utb1528

• Gunslinger
  • Red River Resistance
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 11:03:18 PM »
Agreed.  Fix the other guns and leave the varmint rifle alone.
He's a bit full of himself  :-\
I quick review of Fisherman's accomplishments shows that he can back up what he says with in-game victories.