Username: Password:

Author Topic: Dutch Warmblood getting more and more easily spooked  (Read 148 times)

Offline James7

• Bounty Killer
  • Liked: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Dutch Warmblood getting more and more easily spooked
« on: February 17, 2019, 06:24:29 PM »
I have grown to quite like my horse, but I've noticed it's getting more and more spooked.
I've been collecting orchids in the swamps, and it's no good my riding it at all, because it will tip me off at the sight of any snake or crocodile or even its own shadow, it seems.
I thought it was just more easily spooked in the swamps, but I've noticed it's not as easy to control generally than it used to be and that it's more easily spooked in other places than it was before.

Is it possible the horse is growing old and maybe demented? If so, I should stable it for good and just ride another one.
Anyone else have this problem?

Offline Mrs Marston

• Red River Resistance
  • Liked: 1368
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dutch Warmblood getting more and more easily spooked
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 06:44:01 PM »
I don't know for sure...I haven't really tried to compare the behaviors of some of the horses.  My big Shire is a big baby sometimes and he will outright run off when he sees a gator. I think the worst place for any horse to get spooked is in the swamp.  He acts the same way when he sees one of those little black bears that don't even attack you.....so, I don't know why the horses are even afraid of them. Maybe when the horse is tired it scares more easily...I don't really know.  Since he's a "Dutch" Warmblood.....maybe he needs a "plan" or just a vacation to Tahiti!  LOL!

Offline James7

• Bounty Killer
  • Liked: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Dutch Warmblood getting more and more easily spooked
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 09:59:44 AM »
Ha ha, maybe that's it! I think I'll leave it in the stables for now, to keep on making its plans. I saw online that you can catch a white Arabian up in the snows of the mountains. I may go for that. At the moment I switched over to try out another horse, but it's nothing special.