Username: Password:

Author Topic: Are you having connection problems?  (Read 3558 times)

Offline Adwel

• Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Are you having connection problems?
« on: June 14, 2010, 12:34:30 PM »
All,

I know this is a topic that has already been linked across various gaming forums, but since we still see it as a problem.  I thought I would post this.

If you EVER have connection issues with friends on Xbox or find yourself booted out of playfield (free roam or mini game) because you "couldnt connect to other players in the session".  Or maybe you can never seem to join games your friends are already playing on any Xbox game (MW2, or any other game for that matter).  You need to read below.

One of the most common questions regarding Xbox Live and the 360/Original Xbox relates to NAT, people either have a strict or moderate NAT setting which doesn't make for the best playing experience, or they have Open but have "over configured" their router meaning it still doesn't work properly.

The symptoms of a a poor NAT status are:

* Unable to join friends in a match
* Unable to speak to friends in voice chat
* Unable to find many games
* Game reports you cannot host (Gears/Halo3) because of your NAT status

How do you check your NAT?

On the Xbox 360

1.  Hit your Xbox button on your controller.
2.  Goto the right, to the Settings Tab.
3.  Select System Settings.
2.  Select Network Settings.
3.  Select Text Xbox Live Connection.

(If you have a profile logged in, you will be logged out)

The test results (including your NAT status) will be displayed.

-----If your NAT status is Open already, no option for "More info" will be shown and you will not have a ! icon indicating you have a NAT problem.  This means your already "all set" and you have the best possible NAT configuration.  Your trouble shooting is over.-----

Mine says its Moderate or Strict, what does it mean?

First of all. A bit about the NAT status and what each one means:

Strict

This is the worst possible setup. You can play/talk to other Xbox live gamers that have a NAT Status of Open and no-one else

Moderate

Better, but not ideal. You can play/talk to other Xbox live gamers that have a NAT Status of Open and Moderate and no-one else

Open

The best experience, you can play/talk with all other Xbox Live gamers.

How to fix it:
  :idea:
There are four ways to overcome a Strict/Moderate NAT setting when using a router. I have listed them in the order of preference:-

1. If you have an Xbox Live Certified router, use the certified firmware for your router
2. Use UPnP. If your router supports this. Turn it on. The router will work out the ports it needs to open for Xbox live. If your router does not have this feature, check the manufacturers website for the latest firmware. (also make sure portforwarding and/or DMZ is turned off as they interfere with UPnP) ** Please note that due to a lack of authentication mechanisms, UPnP hardware is susceptible to certain malware. Use UPnP at your own risk. **
3. Port forwarding (look up your router on portforward.com then follow the instructions for Xbox Live 360)
4. Use a DMZ (De-militarized Zone)

The DMZ (De-militarized Zone) is area that sits outside of your routers firewall. Don't worry though your not at risk with your Xbox

I discovered this problem for myself while I was playing MW2.  After using the above walk through, I was able to open up my router (using UPnP, with all port forwarding off and DMZ off) and have had 0 problems since, except for others who still have a bum NAT connection.

The more that correct this on the user end, the better for all of us.

Hope this helps and sorry for the spam if you have seen this 948549859827453 times already.  :crowngrin:

Offline Flofleagle

• Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Are you having connection problems?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 02:52:06 AM »
This is rather good for me.