Username: Password:

Author Topic: Red Harlow Vs. John Marston  (Read 15078 times)

Offline Delvis Crasho

• Drifter
  • Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Red Harlow Vs. John Marston
« on: July 07, 2010, 02:03:23 PM »
I like John. He made me laugh many times. But there were so many times in Red Dead Redemption when I wished for him to be more of the strong & silent type like Red Harlow. More mysterious.

Did anyone else share this same sentiment? I understand how difficult it would be to make such captivating story with the main protagonist practically mute (probably why they featured Jack Swift, Annie Stokes, etc.), but I liked the "Man With No Name" with very little to say approach.

Anyone else?

-d-
The men as they rode turned black in the sun from the blood on their clothes and their faces and then paled slowly in the rising dust until they assumed once more the color of the land through which they passed.
-Cormac McCarthy[/

Offline Zackary

• ┌∩┐(â—•_â—•)┌∩┐
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
RE: Red Harlow Vs. John Marston
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:43:09 PM »
Show content for Hiden:
Jack Marston
will win
Yippie a doodle doo![/i][/u]
BUT SHE WAS HOT!!!!!!!!!!

Offline CarntFace

• Rockstar
  • Liked: 216
  • "Let's Do It!"
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 12:11:11 AM »
I can't say Red 'cause i never played RDRevolver so i will say John. However i would rather the main protagonist to be more "man with no name" than a wanna be "family man".
Show content for Hiden:
But maybe Jack can be the best one.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:11:28 AM by Marlowe »

Offline Zackary

• ┌∩┐(â—•_â—•)┌∩┐
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 02:06:16 PM »
yeah,john is not like; If you fuck with me i will kill you
he is more like:If you fuck with my family i will kill you

Offline Tabris93

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »
I havent played Revolver, but what I really liked about John was exactly that - that they steered away from the stereotypical square-jawed, silent and mysterious guy. That is so clichè. John was actually a funny, polite and sympatethic guy, and a refreshing addition to the game world, in my opinion.

Offline xxdeathglockxx

• Make me Famous.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »
Well i played revolver and i think Red was awesome. i loved the story and the characters. im glad we can play as them in mulitplayer soon. But yea Reds my pick
We\'ve all seen the man at the liquor store beggin\' for your change
The hair on his face is dirty, dreadlocked and full of mange
He ask the man for what he could spare with shame in his eyes
Get a job you fuckin\' slob\'s all he replied
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
\'Cau

Offline Zackary

• ┌∩┐(â—•_â—•)┌∩┐
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 02:47:29 PM »
john is an old outlaw im glad that R* made us have a choice,be good,or bad, i'm a saint to the end

Offline Reuben-Cogburn

• LEGEND OF THE BREAST
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 02:53:32 PM »
Red had no personality whatsoever. He was just your typical stoic, enigmatic Western protagonist. John Marston could kick his ass any day.

\"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch.

Offline xxdeathglockxx

• Make me Famous.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 06:48:23 PM »
No way Red would take john any day
We\'ve all seen the man at the liquor store beggin\' for your change
The hair on his face is dirty, dreadlocked and full of mange
He ask the man for what he could spare with shame in his eyes
Get a job you fuckin\' slob\'s all he replied
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
\'Cau

Offline CarntFace

• Rockstar
  • Liked: 216
  • "Let's Do It!"
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »
John was cool but sometimes it would have been better if he kept his mouth shut more.

Offline Starkiller-117

• Remember my family
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 04:07:32 PM »
John marston all the way hands down, without a doubt!!!
You can run, but you will just die tired!
Riders of war
Pajama Fighters of the undead
Sasquatch protection club
Bitch please, My shit is custom...

Offline Crow Feather

• The Exiled
    • View Profile
    • http://www.reddead.net/forums/thread-ie-indian-exiles-recruiting-for-360
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 03:10:07 AM »
Im going to say Marston, I never played revolver and dont know much about Red, But I would rather play as a character who has a personality then the classic western bada55 who doesnt let emotions ever get in the way
[align=center][/align]

Offline Mrs. Cali Marston

• Humanoid Typhoon
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 10:39:16 PM »
Red was good for RDRevolver with the other more talkative characters backing him up. John was able to carry more of the story by himself. RDRevolver was a purely revenge driven story. RDRedemption is a more in depth emotionaly driven story.

In summation both characters were great for the games they were in. Though my preference is towards John. He is more charismatic and relatable to me than Red was. Though I suppose it all depends on whether you play for the thrill of the shooting or for the involvement of the story. RDRedemption had both for me. Where as RDRevolver was more shooter. However it's an idividual's choice. What fun would it be if we all thought the same way? Ciao`
~See you later space cowboy <3~

Offline HIT_THE_TRAIL

• idk should say something here tho
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »
Red with his twin revolvers would smoke John so bad in my opinion. but thats a weapons thing this is a character topic.

i havent played Revolver for quite awhile yet it was an epic game that is quite memorable. so not to make a next gen ripoff had to be hard. i cut R* some slack for that. trying to be different and original, and touchy feely to boot.

i notice alot of women play Redemption. i wonder how higher a percentage than Revolver? still dont get why they dont offer females a chance to play as a female lead character. say they would be abigail who got sent to "kill bill" to save her husband John who was held hostage by....perhaps the next gen of consoles Red Dead will have that feature. a male or a female lead character. slightly different cut scenes. shouldnt be to hard i think. whole different story, just different reasons for doing all the missions could work also. anything is possible. EVERY lead character from now on being a super bad ass dude with a sensitive, caring, respectable, helpful, flower picking side is going to get old to me fast.

Everyone knows girls LOVE horses. give them the option to be female! let us guys be manly. i can see the gay argument being formed. ok let there be gay john also, altho John dont like hookers and him and abby have a platonic relationship it seems. he doesnt get it on with the ranchers daughters or mexican senoritas or the nuns. so how would he be different excactly? im not saying John is gay just more androgenous. so ladies want to play as him also. Red as an adult was a 100% manly badass mofo. i liked it. (he didnt get it on with the ladies but he wasnt in a huge gta like world either) i like being John but i got to add attributes role play style. or see the missions verses the big world as two totally seperate unrelated things. which i do. until i cant any more.
Show content for Hiden:
if you played all the missions you know why
just a typed sig...you dig...just words and stuff should be enough...dont need cool graphics at all. i think ill write a wall....of text. what should i say next? idk and idc not really trying to take this rhyme anywhere. i would post in the rap thread but if i do...nah no one cares only me. im the o

Offline Tom Van Der Linde

• Marshall of Tumbleweed
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 11:24:16 AM »
Never played Revolver, but John is just soo awesome, no one could beat him. I actually like he talks much, at least I would too. So I'm gonna say John ofcourse.
Oh bury me not, on the lone prairie...
-Red Dead Redemption Short Film

Offline CharleyWaite

• Midnight Rider
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »
I liked John a lot, but Red wins any day. It might be cliche, but isn't that what we wanted?
Show content for Hiden:
how upset were you all with the end of the game? Sure it was a good ending, but it would have been absolutely badass if John could've killed everybody and saved his family.
  If you don't want a cliche western, go play samurai western or whatever it's called. If a character like Red doesn't come up when you think of a true, spaghetti western, then you haven't been watching the right movies.

If for no other reason, Red wins because he can actually KILL somebody with his punches.
Boss Spearman: \"We came for justice not vengeance. Now them is two different things.\"
Charley Waite: \"Not today they ain\'t.\"

Offline gunznyamouth

• Tin Hat Brigade Senor Patrolman
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 01:25:29 PM »
Tony Montana all day.

Offline BigNasty

• I\'m Fanceh
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 04:27:27 PM »
Quote from: 'Tabris93' pid='113941' dateline='1278959073'

I havent played Revolver, but what I really liked about John was exactly that - that they steered away from the stereotypical square-jawed, silent and mysterious guy. That is so clichè. John was actually a funny, polite and sympatethic guy, and a refreshing addition to the game world, in my opinion.

What he said.

Offline Screaming Meat

• Liked: 4
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 03:29:40 PM »
Quote from: 'CharleyWaite' pid='182738' dateline='1285679978'

I liked John a lot, but Red wins any day. It might be cliche, but isn't that what we wanted?
Show content for Hiden:
how upset were you all with the end of the game? Sure it was a good ending, but it would have been absolutely badass if John could've killed everybody and saved his family.
  If you don't want a cliche western, go play samurai western or whatever it's called. If a character like Red doesn't come up when you think of a true, spaghetti western, then you haven't been watching the right movies.

You must mean such classics as Shane, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, The Shootist, Fistful of Dynamite, Once Upon a Time in the West or The Wild Bunch with their similarly ambiguous/downbeat/bittersweet endings? No, man - RDR's ending was beautiful. Not just one of the great game endings, either; it was one of the great WESTERN endings.

Redemption is, however, easily as cliched as Revolver, in my humble opinion. You have a point about Revolver, though: it is very much a Spaghetti Western thing. Christ Alive - it directly quotes the opening to Django!

Red is a prototype at best and two dimensional characters of his ilk are two-a-penny. They've been done far better elsewhere, namely in the films these games homage. John's a far deeper and rounded character who is more of a badass for it. Red's whole character is but an aspect of John's.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 03:42:30 PM by Screaming Meat »

Offline The Savvy Merchant

• I am a terrifying...terrorist!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 02:36:45 PM »
I say John. I've played revolver before,and I will never like Red as much as I like John. But Red is still sick.
Favorite Pistol: High Power Pistol
Favorite Rifle: Buffalo Rifle
Favorite Thrown weapon: Tomahawk
Favorite Shotgun: Semi-Auto Shotgun
Favorite Sniper Rifle: Carcano Rifle
Favorite Weapon Overall: High Power Pistol
PSN: AirAssault100

Add Me!!!