Username: Password:

Author Topic: Red Harlow Vs. John Marston  (Read 14935 times)

Offline heavy_metal

• Liked: 0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
RE: Red Harlow Vs. John Marston
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 12:10:16 AM »
I would say red due to his obvious similarities to Clint Eastwood. I think John would have been a bit more badass if he was less talkative and more mysterious. We knew alot more about John, which may have made more of a connection with the player. But videogames dont always have to be realistic. Sometimes its more fun to just be a badass that nobody knows about.. you just kindof appear like a ghost and do your work and do it well.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 12:10:59 AM by heavy_metal »

Offline DeaconSeth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 09:57:43 AM »
Quote from: 'HIT_THE_TRAIL' pid='120235' dateline='1279417805'

i notice alot of women play Redemption. i wonder how higher a percentage than Revolver? still dont get why they dont offer females a chance to play as a female lead character. say they would be abigail who got sent to "kill bill" to save her husband John who was held hostage by....perhaps the next gen of consoles Red Dead will have that feature. a male or a female lead character. slightly different cut scenes. shouldnt be to hard i think. whole different story, just different reasons for doing all the missions could work also. anything is possible. EVERY lead character from now on being a super bad ass dude with a sensitive, caring, respectable, helpful, flower picking side is going to get old to me fast.

I for one would have melted into a submissive pile of goo if they had a character like The Lady from The Quick and the Dead. Basic Instinct be damned, that was Sharon Stone's hottest role ever. I have a feeling R* could pull that off -effortlessly- in this game, too.

Anyway, as for a match between the two I think Red in his prime would put John's stones in a vice. More experience with killing.

Only way I'd see John of surpassing him is with the use of more modern weaponry, but in a straight shootout with equivalent gear, Red'd take John down in my opinion.

Offline CharleyWaite

• Midnight Rider
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 12:10:10 PM »
I think it also comes down to: Red has nothing to lose, total vengeance and won't play games. John: avoid confrontation and make life easy going (at the current stage we see him at) unless he's pushed. John is an outlaw, but Red is a gunslinger/bounty killer with more quickdraw experience (it seems like it)
Boss Spearman: \"We came for justice not vengeance. Now them is two different things.\"
Charley Waite: \"Not today they ain\'t.\"

Offline tarn66

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 06:38:55 PM »
Chuck Norris.
100% Completion Club

Offline CharleyWaite

• Midnight Rider
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 02:15:20 PM »
Bruce Lee ;)
Quote from: 'tarn66' pid='217888' dateline='1288737535'
Chuck Norris.
Boss Spearman: \"We came for justice not vengeance. Now them is two different things.\"

Offline Doc

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 12:13:55 AM »
Outcome Red vs John could differ given the rules of engagement.
Time period with weaponry ect ect.Easy enough answer to this is both draw sidearms Red wins 8/10 times given he is the Brimestones quick draw champ.They meet on a battlefield or an already ongoing gunfight John wins 6/10 times if anyone sees where im going with this.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Offline Ace Hanlon

• Gunslinger
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 10:34:55 PM »
I like both Red and John, but Red would wipe the floor with John in your "cliché, it only happened once in recorded western history" type quickdraw duel. Red was just that damn fast.

I am the best you\'ll ever see.

Offline Miss Hardy

• Did everything just taste purple?
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 08:51:04 PM »
They should fight together! not against!

But if I had to answer i'd say Red for obvious reasons. PEW PEW!

Offline Crackbone

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 05:14:42 AM »
This is pretty much the same as arguments over whether Solid Snake or Big Boss from MGS would win in a fight.

In their prime, I think it would be an even match. You have to remember, John is getting on in years in RDR, and Red was in his 20's. I'm sure John was probably as fast, or faster than Red in his 20's

Offline BLACK76FLAG

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 11:29:43 PM »
im going with john, i haven't played revolver, but if red was the strong silent type, revolver would of been just bang,bang bang, at least with john his personality and story resonated with me... like he was a long lost relative or a friend.
:toilet:

Offline JohnMarshall

• gunslinger
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2011, 11:34:27 PM »
I enjoyed them both and Red and John both contrast each other well. They are both fantastic gunslingers but i have to say Red would outshoot him by an inch albeit johns badassness. Probly just cause i played Revolver when i was like 8 so it really resonated with me :)
\"Theres two kinds of people in this world...those with loaded guns....and those who dig...you dig.\"

Offline starchild132

• A Shootist
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 01:37:36 AM »
Quote from: 'Crackbone' pid='259523' dateline='1293876882'

This is pretty much the same as arguments over whether Solid Snake or Big Boss from MGS would win in a fight.

In their prime, I think it would be an even match. You have to remember, John is getting on in years in RDR, and Red was in his 20's. I'm sure John was probably as fast, or faster than Red in his 20's

I have to disagree by reading the backstory on both characters Red was a natural with a six shooter growing up on top of that he won the Brimstone quick draw competition John on the other hand was very fast but the reason he ended up being reformed is because his team left him for dead on a robbery a situation Red would have never gotten in also if you guys remember Landon Ricketts called out John on his pistol skills and the old man (legendary gunslinger old man) had to teach him to shoot better also you cant say John's knowledge of modern weapons because other then the Colt M1911, The Carcaeno (think thats spelled right) and the Luger John used primarily outdated weapons so my vote goes to Red although both in there Prime would be such an awesome duel and the fact i'd rather see them fight together. also a side note i'm sick of everybodys vote going straight to John and there excuse is "well i never played Revolver but i really love John's character" and stop saying that Red was cliched and had no emotion sure he was a cliche of sorts but he was a depressed person out for revenge because his parents were gunned down in front of him and he has a scar he has to look at forever to remind him because of the revolver burning him (he even gave his 5000 dollar reward to his friends because "spoiler" after killing the man who betrayed his father he had fulfilled his duty because it "it never was about the money") so he has a pretty good reason for being silent, also another side note to who ever wrote that the shootist was a cliched ending is clearly out of his element because that was one of the most emotional moments i've ever seen in a western, thanks for reading and please tell me your thoughts i put alot of mine into this little rant of mine :sleepy:
I\'ll Be Your Huckleberry-Doc Holliday

Donny: Its I am The Walrus
Walter: Its no-\" SHUT THE FUCK UP DONNY!!!!

Offline starchild132

• A Shootist
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 01:46:30 AM »
Quote from: 'Crackbone' pid='259523' dateline='1293876882'

I have to disagree with you on that, by reading the backstory on both characters Red was a natural with a six shooter as a kid and growing up, on top of that he won the Brimstone quick draw competition against the best gunslingers in the west (Jack Swift didn't compete nor Landon Ricketts). John on the other hand was very fast but the reason he ended up being giving up his life of crime was because his team left him for dead on a robbery, a situation Red would have never gotten himself into, also if you guys remember Landon Ricketts called out John on his shooting skills saying he faired well only against peasants and the old man (legendary gunslinger old man mind you) had to teach him to shoot better. Also you cant say John's knowledge of modern weapons because other then the Colt M1911, The Carcaeno (think thats spelled right) and the Luger (all of which would have been very easy to adapt to considering barely any adapting needed) John used primarily outdated weapons, so my vote goes to Red although both in there Prime would be such an awesome and epic duel and for the fact i'd rather see them fight together. also a side note i'm sick of everybodys vote going straight to John and there excuse is "well i never played Revolver but i really love John's character" and i think thats a little unfair if you have no knowledge of the opposing character in an argument (it still bugs me that everyone is saying "dont make a Red Redemption sequel the first is perfect and should be left that way" because when in fact RD Redemption is a sequel itself) and stop saying that Red was cliched and had no emotion sure he was a cliche of sorts but he was a depressed person out for revenge because his parents were gunned down in front of him and he has a scar on his right hand of a scorpion he has to look at forever to remind him because of the revolver burning him (he even gave his 5000 dollar reward to his friends because "spoiler alert" after killing the man who betrayed his father "end spoiler" he had fulfilled his duty because it "it never was about the money") so he has a pretty good reason for being silent, also another side note to who ever wrote that the shootist was a cliched ending is clearly out of his element because that was one of the most emotional moments i've ever seen in a western, thanks for reading and please tell me your thoughts i put alot of mine into this little rant of mine :sleepy:

Offline CharleyWaite

• Midnight Rider
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 09:23:41 PM »
This is almost the same argument as saying Eastwood vs John Wayne. John Wayne was a hell of a cowboy, but not nearly as ruthless and quick as Eastwood was in his "Man With No Name" westerns. Marston is great, and a hell of a cowboy...but he can't pull the trigger like Red.

Offline starchild132

• A Shootist
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 09:29:58 PM »
Quote from: 'CharleyWaite' pid='285198' dateline='1296440621'

This is almost the same argument as saying Eastwood vs John Wayne. John Wayne was a hell of a cowboy, but not nearly as ruthless and quick as Eastwood was in his "Man With No Name" westerns. Marston is great, and a hell of a cowboy...but he can't pull the trigger like Red.

that is probably the most logical answer i've heard had i thought of that i might not have argued that statement :shy:, well put sir, just saying though John wayne played John Elder who was the fastest gun in The sons of Katie Elder and as Rooster Cogburn who is all around badass and even as an old man in the shootist he still came out on top (now im kind of taking Marston's side :P), but the man with no name is still a mysterious badass and i honestly still think Red would win (gun fight wise)

Offline CharleyWaite

• Midnight Rider
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 10:17:17 AM »
I think he would win intuitive-wise as well; Red is cunning and elusive as well as reckless (not careless) and guns blazing. John is gritty, but he's a little careless...I mean, the very first mission he walks straight up to Fort Mercer and gets shot.

And Cogburn was a great character, but he was careless as well...and a bit sloppy. Badass no doubt, but when it comes to the current showdown we're talking about, I think Red gets the gold (literally).

Offline starchild132

• A Shootist
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
true speaking of Cogburn though the most amazing gun fight i've ever seen (both John Wayne version and Jeff Bridges) was when he challenges Ned Pepper and his gang and he bites the reigns taks both guns and kills them all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKThgLq21Rc

tell me thats not epic

Offline pablomcquy

• bobing94
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »
john marston was, was an outlaw who klled in cold blood, robbed trains etc..... so while i like johns personality, better, red was a bounty "born to kill"
Red could definetly beat him in a duel,

Offline Esidara

• Lady Gamer :D
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2011, 09:09:42 AM »
I stopped at one of the in game camp sites, and the fella began talking about Red Harlow
[align=center][/align]

Offline Kieran9775

• U.S. Army
  • Liked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 04:01:02 PM »
Red Harlow is just a pure badass, and i can't wait to get the Legends and Killers DLC so I'll be able to play as him:D! As someone said already the story was purely revenge driven, so R* couldn't have made him a cheerful and jolly character, wondering the west poppin some bitches in the face

But ill give credit to john for being an original character, he always made me chuckle and it was such an amazing experience playing Redemption.

Red Harlow is my pick.
PSN ID: TuRtLe-BuZz13

Bigfoot Hunting Association